diy solar

diy solar

THANK YOU - Will Prowse

SoVT

Hi Folks new here. Just turned on my system for the first time today. Joined the forum to show it off a bit.

I’m building a small 1,200 sq ft off grid home in Southern Vermont. It’s up in the Green Mountains about 2,300 feet. So we get >10’ of snow annually so off grid is a challenge. But we are going into year three now and loving it.

After much online study I decided to build Will’s 48V DIY configuration. I’m no electrician but this wasn’t really all that difficult. Thank you Will for your crystal clear DYI videos. For whatever reason I absorb your videos much better any other on the topic.

I’m paying out of pocket for everything on the homestead so I don’t have the funds for PV or all the batteries right now so I’m charging my batteries from my propane generator and will add more ASAP.

Here is my setup…

2 x EG4 6500EX = 240V / 13,000W
2 x EG4 LiFePower 4 = 48V / 10,000kWh
1 x EG4 ChargeVerter = 5,000W / 100A

Attachments

• D89AD4EE-F794-43DF-96D8-DAF52E78ED06.jpeg
    D89AD4EE-F794-43DF-96D8-DAF52E78ED06.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 195
  • 9D6274D4-6C69-4985-92CC-542A7CB0D880.jpeg
    9D6274D4-6C69-4985-92CC-542A7CB0D880.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 195
Nice clean install. My only suggestion would be to add a bunch of weight to the bottom of the rack, if it isn't anchored to the wall, until you get more batteries.
It's unlikely it will tip as is, but if it gets started it will be very difficult to stop being so top heavy.

Ps. I really like how you used the bump out for the DC breaker / fuse enclosure mounting. Also nice neat work on the plumbing.

Hi Folks new here. Just turned on my system for the first time today. Joined the forum to show it off a bit.

I’m building a small 1,200 sq ft off grid home in Southern Vermont. It’s up in the Green Mountains about 2,300 feet. So we get >10’ of snow annually so off grid is a challenge. But we are going into year three now and loving it.

After much online study I decided to build Will’s 48V DIY configuration. I’m no electrician but this wasn’t really all that difficult. Thank you Will for your crystal clear DYI videos. For whatever reason I absorb your videos much better any other on the topic.

I’m paying out of pocket for everything on the homestead so I don’t have the funds for PV or all the batteries right now so I’m charging my batteries from my propane generator and will add more ASAP.

Here is my setup…

That my friend is a hell of a cabin.

Looks nicer than my house.

Good job on the install. Looks great.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Great idea about adding weight to the cabinet until I get more batteries. Thx!

Nice clean install. My only suggestion would be to add a bunch of weight to the bottom of the rack, if it isn't anchored to the wall, until you get more batteries.
It's unlikely it will tip as is, but if it gets started it will be very difficult to stop being so top heavy.

Ps. I really like how you used the bump out for the DC breaker / fuse enclosure mounting. Also nice neat work on the plumbing.
I have some OCD issues no doubt.

Nice set up!
It will be interesting for you to determine optimal panel angle to have maximum input every month (instead of maximum input for the year).
Or maybe do you plan to adjust panel angle for winter/summer?
As a guy from the north, I know now that an important angle for winter months is a must for snow removal and good solar input. Important angle like 60-70° or even flat on the wall (90°).

Nice set up!
It will be interesting for you to determine optimal panel angle to have maximum input every month (instead of maximum input for the year).
Or maybe do you plan to adjust panel angle for winter/summer?
As a guy from the north, I know now that an important angle for winter months is a must for snow removal and good solar input. Important angle like 60-70° or even flat on the wall (90°).
I’m not going to go crazy on PV. I’m going to place enough on the roof (15* shed style facing southwest) to charge the batteries 2/3rds of the year and forget about solar in winter. Ultimately I plan to install a 5,000 watt wind turbine through a separate controller. Living on the side of a mount with 10’+ of snow is tough for solar but I get a nearly constant 10-15mph wind all winter. A few of my neighbors down the mountain have propeller based wind generators and they seem to do just fine. At least that’s the plan. lol

Here is my setup…

nice looking job, well done!

I’m not going to go crazy on PV.

I like to go crazy on PV.
I've bought panels for $0.35 and for $0.12/W

A few of my neighbors down the mountain have propeller based wind generators and they seem to do just fine. At least that’s the plan. lol

Maybe your area is the exception? But we usually hear small wind underperforms and fails.
Do the neighbors have monitoring, so they can show you a year's history of wind production?

Considering turbine and tower costs, how much PV could you buy and mount for the same money?

Any chance you have flowing water for micro-hydro?

Back