diy solar

diy solar

Strange

• Thread starter Deleted member 1888
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1888

I am having a strange problem my 24v system is not pulling in the same solar it did last year. My solar is down my 2.7k array is only pulling in 2.3. 1.8k is pulling 1.2 and my 1.2k is pulling 900w. Could all my new panels be degraded that fast? or maybe my controllers are not working right? Maybe I just need to go 48v to pull full capacity from the panels?
Panels
array 1 - 9x 305w SERAPHIM (pulling 2.3)
array 2 - 6x 305w SERAPHIM (pulling 1.2)
array 3 - 8x 100w rich solar and 4x 100w windy nation (pulling 900w)
controller's 3 100a EPEVER
Anyone have any ideas as to why I and no longer pulling full?

Have you considered temperature? Last year when?
-
Well this year has been extremely hot in the high 90 to 105, and last year I think we hit 90 a few times. So heat can kill my solar that bad?

Heat won't degrade a panel like that. But the numbers you are posting are exactly where they should be in my mind?
So my plan to go 48v so I can add more Soler is most likely the best option. Because if we keep getting super hot days my solar will surfer, and I can't keep using my generator to keep my bank up.

Have you actually tracked your performance over time, or is this just going off memory? By "tracked" I mean a written or automated log of data that can be used to compare performance over various periods of time.

Around 0.3% performance loss per ° over 25°C, so that accounts for at least 10% loss as your cells are probably north of 55°C. You may find they are substantially hotter.

MPPT also throttle themselves when they get too hot.

If you're getting 75%+ rated power from an array in clear sky and hot conditions, you're winning.

My best performance is in Winter when panels are at Spring/Autumn tilt, but skies are clear and cool. I regularly hit and exceed rated in those conditions (6500' elevation helps).

2300w from a 2700w array is 85% which is exactly what you should be expecting. Thats even better than a lot of people, especially if its 95*+ where you are at.

I would not be concerned.
OK thx guys that puts my mind a ease, its just do dang hot here right now.:cry:

So heat can kill my solar that bad?

Voc and Vmp both trend downward as heat increases. To make matters worse cell temps > ambient temps. Here is a simple calculator to see the trends.

Plugging in 105deg F (converted to C) and 2.7kW it says:

Cell Temp71.8°C
Derating factor22.464%
Lost capacity due to temp606.528W

at 80deg F

Cell Temp57.91°C
Derating factor15.7968%
Lost capacity due to temp426.5136W

Back