diy solar

diy solar

Stuck in a Brain Loop of Indecision - Help Me Decide Please

MisterCookEMann

Should I buy a Bluetti AC200 to do the solar in my small camper?
- I like this idea because I have very little electrical experience, and this really simplifies solar for me.
- It also sounds like a pretty great product.

BUT,
- It only has a 2 year warranty on it. What happens if something breaks on the Bluetti and it's not under warrranty. Can I repair it on my own? Do they have a repair service? Can batteries be replaced in the Bluetti once it has been used up? Or do I have to replace the system every 4-5 years if i'm using it daily.

SO,
Should I just stick to building my own system? That way if one part breaks I don't have to replace everything. Something like below seems to be more than enough for my needs.
  • 200 watt Solar kit with 40a MPPT controller from Rich Solar
  • 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter
  • and a Battle Born 100ah 12v LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery

Help! Your knowledgeable ways will help break the stalemate. Thank-you!

Is it a choice between an all-in-one unit like a Bluetti or Goal Zero and separate off the shelf components? You are not considering a DIY battery build from raw cells?

I think it comes down to how much do you want to do yourself and save money and have the system configured exactly how you want it versus paying someone else to do all that and buying an all-in-one. Doing separate components will require more time and system design knowledge. Much of that design knowledge can be obtained by researching here or by following one of Will's blueprints (click here)

Just looking at the components you listed there, I think think the inverter would be oversized for that one battery (assuming the 2000 watts is continuous. The Battleborn is rated at 1C discharge max which is about 1280 watts. After inverter and wire loses I wouldn't want to use anything larger than a 1000 watt continuous. Or if you need 2000 watts you may need more than one battery.

Have you done a power audit to determine your loads? That will help you understand what components and sizes that you need.

Last edited:
AC 200 has a 3 year warranty if bought through Indiegogo.
You didn't respond to your other AC200 thread. . . . .

AC 200 has a 3 year warranty if bought through Indiegogo.
You didn't respond to your other AC200 thread. . . . .

Sorry for not responding. And thanks for the help. As for the warranty I see on indiegogo it says "Stretch Goal 1.5M Extended Warranty to 3 years". I guess that means the 3 year warranty has been unlocked now? I've never used indiegogo before, so a little confused.

Sorry for not responding. And thanks for the help. As for the warranty I see on indiegogo it says "Stretch Goal 1.5M Extended Warranty to 3 years". I guess that means the 3 year warranty has been unlocked now? I've never used indiegogo before, so a little confused.
Yes it now has a 3 year warranty If bought on Indiegogo.
Buying after the campaign ends will be 2 years.
I am not sure if that includes in demand sales which is what the $1600 price is now.

Is it a choice between an all-in-one unit like a Bluetti or Goal Zero and separate off the shelf components? You are not considering a DIY battery build from raw cells?

I think it comes down to how much do you want to do yourself and save money and have the system configured exactly how you want it versus paying someone else to do all that and buying an all-in-one. Doing separate components will require more time and system design knowledge. Much of that design knowledge can be obtained by researching here or by following one of Will's blueprints (click here)

Just looking at the components you listed there, I think think the inverter would be oversized for that one battery (assuming the 2000 watts is continuous. The Battleborn is rated at 1C discharge max which is about 1280 watts. After inverter and wire loses I wouldn't want to use anything larger than a 1000 watt continuous. Or if you need 2000 watts you may need more than one battery.

Have you done a power audit to determine your loads? That will help you understand what components and sizes that you need.

Yeah, my initial plan was to just use one of Will's blueprints, specifically the minimalist solar package, since i'm so new to this. But then i started thinking about what I might need to use in the trailer, and realized I would like to not use a gas stove. That would mean an induction burner, which uses 1200 watts. But that would just be for cooking, so the inverter wouldn't be used continuously. Everything continuously running would just be 12 volt otherwise, except for maybe charging laptop. I also need to decided if I have a small hot water heater or not. Still researching that. But since they are not continuous, maybe that will be fine?

It is a small trailer, so I can only really add 2 panels. Planning on buying a 200 watt Rich Solar supply panel, see how I like that, and then potentially add a second. So really my max power solar wattage is 400 watts. Does that change anything?

I am definitely down for do-it-yourself. One benefit of covid is having a lot more free time for these things. I have not looked into DIY batteries yet. Can you tell me more. I see Will has a video, i'll have to check it out. I am a little worried that going to instantly deep into building my own solar system will get overwhelming, so that is what adds to the thought of getting the Bluetti.

You're paying a premium for these solar generator units because they are all-in-one and, therefore, portable. If you plan to take it out camping, or use it for a yard sale, or maybe help out an elderly relative if the grid goes down, then yes, the Bluetti makes sense. For what would essentially be a permanent install in a trailer van, I would say a permanent install using components (e.g. Will's blueprints) would be the better option. Far cheaper and more fit-for-purpose, imho.

Back