diy solar

diy solar

submersible pump wiring

e67

about this submersible...Franklin 1 hp 230v #280108------10 amps max draw...200 ft total wiring from the control box 8-10 ga copper in conduit.QD control box.
I was looking at it so if I wanted to run it off the 6000 XP I would have a plan for the wiring. Now the wire to the pump in the 100ft well is sized well but the wire from the service panel to the QD control box is only a 12/2 Romex. That goes to the pressure switch and the larger well wire starts at the QD control box. I assume there is a capacitor start in that box..???Is that normal in your experience? If I ran a new wire from a new panel over by the 6000 XP then a 12/2 is ok??instead of a 10/2..?

I have a 3/4 hp well pump. 12 AWG might be allowed but I prefer 10 AWG and is what I use. Inside the control box is a start capacitor. The well pumps are usually 3 phase and the start capacitor will be the kick on the third phase to get the pump started.

A 1 hp Franklin will have a locked rotor starting amp draw of over 30A, if using a scope and amp probe it might spike to over 50A for a few milliseconds. I know mine does.

Using a single 6000XP will probably not start your well pump. I run a pair LV6548's and those are 6500W per leg while the 6000XP is only 3000W per leg. Another factor to consider is how large is the battery bank? In order for the inverter to be able to produce enough AC power, the battery bank needs to be sufficient to handle the increased load. 30A at LRA per leg is 3600W, both the inverter and the battery have to be able to supply it on each leg.

I had a 3/4hp Franklin that only a 9kw generator could start due to inrush at 38a @ 240v. I replaced it with a Grundfos SQ pump. My 6000xp runs the Grundfos no problem in addition to rest of cabin and a 24k and 18k mini-splits.

What is the smallest Grundfos to handle 100 ft well with ease..??

What is the smallest Grundfos to handle 100 ft well with ease..??
Move to the inverter pumps, those ramp up speed and do not have the LRA problem.

Size the pump according to the need for gallons per minute. I do have to ask why you currently have a 1 hp pump?

the 1 hp was a replacement for a 2hp Franklin that burned up. 1 hp seemed prudent but 3/4 would be fine.Is the Grundy SQ 200 one of those
efficient inverter pumps? I see the H2O Mechanic on YouTube has them for about 1100$. I will pay for quality.

the 1 hp was a replacement for a 2hp Franklin that burned up. 1 hp seemed prudent but 3/4 would be fine.Is the Grundy SQ 200 one of those
efficient inverter pumps? I see the H2O Mechanic on YouTube has them for about 1100$. I will pay for quality.
I got mine from aqua science for a little less. They helped me size the right pump using head feet and GPM requirements. The Grundfos I bought was spot on for flow and pressure.

I put it in myself following H2O mechanics videos. My install was slightly different as I have a pitless adapter setup.

Here was my install day. Was easier than I thought it would be….luckily. All the SQs have different flow rates so just don’t choose a 3/4hp. The total head measurement is key as it calculates, Gallons per Minute, rise of water as well as pressure (added head feet). The Grundfos flow charts are highly valuable.

Attachments

• IMG_5279.jpeg
    IMG_5279.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2501.jpeg
    IMG_2501.jpeg
    454.8 KB · Views: 5
Aqua Science has that Endot blue poly pipe 150 ft for 175$. Is that blue pipe really needed or does Home Depot sell an equivalent for less in 1 " size??
my well is 110/ static is about 70 and gpm is about 50.

Last edited:
Aqua Science has that Endot blue poly pipe 150 ft for 175$. Is that blue pipe really needed or does Home Depot sell an equivalent for less in 1 " size??
my well is 110/ static is about 70 and gpm is about 50.
50gpm. Wow!!! That’s a lot.
I used the Silver-Line poly pipe at Lowes. The one for potable water and 160psi.

is the normal pit-less adaptor going to fit into 1 inch pipe? cause the rigid white pipe I have now I think is 1. 1/4..

Not sure, I lifted the top of my pump out before I bought anything to make sure sizing was correct. Built a t-handle out of 1” steel pipe that fit into the top of the pitless. Make sure the threads are in before pulling. Last thing you want to do is drop the pump.

I bought a new barb for both the pump and the pitless.

Back