diy solar

diy solar

Sun 1000 GTIL2 DC22-65V Version / 3x 415W Panel in Parallel (Vmp 42V / Imp 9.8A) / only 1.5A output per Panel ???

twsiter100

Hello,

i just recently got into the Solar thing, to reduce my monthly power cost. As i am sitting in Japan where they have 100v only i was limited by the choice of inverters.
I ended up with the Sun1000 GTIL2 V7.1 22-65v as it has the limiter function as i am not allowed to feed into the grid (rental house, cannot install something permanently). I got 3 x 415w Panel here in Japan (a nightmare i can tell you to find a shop with normal prices) . Each has am Vmp of 42V and an Imp of 9.84A. Cable length 6m from each panel/ AWG10) to an 16A DC circuit breaker for each Panel . Then from that 3 breakers , 3x AWG10 from the breakers to plus of the SUN 1000 input. Same way for the negative site cables from the breakers to the SUN 1000. If i measure now the Amps between the input terminals of the SUN 10000, i only get around 1,5A . Same if i measure each panel on the breaker of even directly on the short cables of the panels.

Why so low AMPS even its a sunny day at nearly noon (from each panel). If i measure 1,5A on each panel, why not 4,5Amps on the input terminals of the SUN 1000.
Sorry, maybe a stupid question... just a mechanical engineer asking here ;-).
Also, i guess due to that, the SUN does not produce much Wattage ~250-300w most of the time (not enough as i can see on the display that i still draw 80-150w from the grid) and sometimes i see 700+w if i run a power hungry item in the house.
P.s. Panels have around 45V output if measured with a multimeter.

Need some advice if i see it wrong and everything is ok or not, please.

If each panel is giving you 1.5 amps wired in parallel, and your only getting total 1.5 into your sun 1000 unit, you might have the polarity reversed on one of the panels.

i thought so too, but if i measure each panel (disconneted from the system) red on the Multimeter cable and red on the panel it shows +45V if i change black to red it shows -45v . So all + cables from the Panels go to the same port on the SUN , same for the negative cables . I really do not get it whats wrong. Thought already a diode somewere is shot but even measuring each panel in the non connected state its onyl ~1.5 AMps...

P.s. i have 45V incoming from each panel , in parallel. But the dispaly on the SUN shows less voltage (currently38.5V) after it start and producing 238w from the needed ~300w.

Attachments

• 20221109_120253.jpg
    20221109_120253.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
... when a mechanic used a multimeter... found out i used the wrong plug for measuring Amps... now the amps match to the spec of the panels... shame on me ;-)

Back