diy solar

diy solar

SUN GTIL 1000W Intermittent drop to 0 watt

nicos

It's been 3 years since I install this grid tied inverter setup, with 1000 watt GTI and 720 wp solar panel without battery.
But I experience very annoying behavior that inverter stop pulling electricity from the panel, drop to 0 watt randomly. Making the energy production is very low, I realize this because the production is drop significantly. Then I put my CCTV cam to see what happened.

Turns out, at the middle of the day, when the sun is shinning bright the power meter showing 0 watt.
For example, the GTI is pulling 500 watt of electricity, then without any sun changes, it drop to 0 watt for around 10 seconds and up again 500 watt, repeats and getting worse. It can be stay 0 for 3 minutes, goes up 500 watt for 15 sec and drop again to 0.
Sometimes it can stay 500 watt for longer time without drop, sometime can stay 0 watt for more than 5 mins.

Did you know what possibly wrong with this situation?

What I already do but didn't solve the issue:
1. Clean all connector
2. Clean the fan at the GTI inverter (fan working fine)
3. Try to unplug some of the panel. Use any panel = same behaviour. Posibly nothing wrong with the panel.
4. When it happen, I do plug unplug the inverter, nothing happen still drop to 0 randomly

Other info:
GTI temperature normal, under 40 degree celcius, no error message.
The power meter on the video is installed after solar panel before goes into inverter input.

Last edited:
It's been 3 years since I install this grid tied inverter setup, with 1000 watt GTI and 720 wp solar panel without battery.
But I experience very annoying behavior that inverter stop pulling electricity from the panel, drop to 0 watt randomly. Making the energy production is very low, I realize this because the production is drop significantly. Then I put my CCTV cam to see what happened.

Turns out, at the middle of the day, when the sun is shinning bright the power meter showing 0 watt.
For example, the GTI is pulling 500 watt of electricity, then without any sun changes, it drop to 0 watt for around 10 seconds and up again 500 watt, repeats and getting worse. It can be stay 0 for 3 minutes, goes up 500 watt for 15 sec and drop again to 0.
Sometimes it can stay 500 watt for longer time without drop, sometime can stay 0 watt for more than 5 mins.

1. Clean all connector
3. Try to unplug some of the panel. Use any panel = same behaviour. Posibly nothing wrong with the panel.
4. When it happen, I do plug unplug the inverter, nothing happen still drop to 0 randomly

Other info:
The power meter on the video is installed after solar panel before goes into inverter input.

Sellers have offered replacement mother boards for this issue.
not that this will fix your issue but still necessary
cut off the plug and use the outlets box as a junction box so you are not using an outlet and plug for the output of an inverter. Also never disconnect the AC or DC while the inverter is under load unless absolutely necessary. Turn off loads before disconnect AC or DC.
you Can also try turning on DC first then AC. I had a GTIL2 that would cut off its production randomly. I stopped when I instead turned on DC before AC. Don’t know why that worked.

Unfortunately there's no official support for this inverter in my country, pretty sure I need third party repair service if needed.

Hmm.. strange, because I never cut the DC connection from my panel to inverter, always cut off the AC output after sunset and turn on again after sunrise. But the problem persist.

1. Clean all connector

Other info:

Nicos, I had the same wattage drop out problem. I have 2 of the 1000 w inverters and was wanting to limit the output to 850 watts each but each time I checked the limit battery or solar box that issue kept happening.

I use parallel panels for each inverter. One set is 44 vmax and the other is 37 vmax or there abouts. I had set the limit parameters to the lowest they would go thinking the trigger for the shut off is dipping below the set voltage? So I had the battery voltage set to 22.5v and the reboot set the same thinking if the panels dipped below this voltage it would shut the inverter off then reboot back on as soon as the voltage rose again? It just didn’t work though and would constantly drop the wattage on both inverters and was so annoying.

Now after several years I tried playing around again and randomly set my battery or solar voltage to 30 volts, wattage to 850 and the reboot to 30.1 volts. I leave the limit box unchecked as it’s not needed for this function to work, only if you are using a crt clamp to limit grid export.

It’s now working perfectly and limiting the wattage to around 850 watts without that dreaded dropping out thing that was happening. It’s worth having a play with those figures and getting it to work as I was never convinced it was a fault with the inverters as I had 2 with the same ‘fault’.

Hope this helps someone?

Back