diy solar

diy solar

Sungold Power,12000W 48V Split Phase Pure Sine Wave Solar Inverter Charger. TRANSFERE SWITCH

fognet

I will be installing this inverter/charger. My question regards using the automatic transfer switch with grid power only. Can the input and output from the unit be connected to the same grid power? For example, with this kind of connection, if grid power fails, will the transfer switch send power into the same grid connection from the Sungold or will connecting the power out to a hot grid destroy the Sungold system?

Your question is not completely clear, it sounds like you are asking if the AC Input and AC Output of the Sungold inverter can be connected to the same panel. Short Answer is NO and the power out is supposed to be connected to a subpanel or critical loads panel NOT the grid.

Slightly longer answer. The traditional way this type of inverter is installed is with a critical loads panel connected to the AC Output. The AC Input is connected to the main panel. When the grid is down the Inverter powers the critical loads panel and disconnects the AC Input from the main panel so as to not energize the local grid where people may be working on the power lines.
Since this inverter may be large enough to power an entire home the alternative way is to have an electrician intercept the incoming grid wiring between the utility meter and the main breaker. A new main breaker is installed and it feeds the AC Input to the inverter. Then the AC Output of the inverter feeds the main panel directly either through the main breaker or it back feeds a new 2 pole branch breaker.

Short Answer is NO
I have installed one of these. They seem to be a knockoff of the AIMS inverter. I am fairly certain the manual says NO. These inverters are not designed to match grid frequency and connecting grid to the output will likely destroy it instantly.

You can have main panel feed AC input of Sungold.
Output can feed a "critical loads panel", always backed up by it.
If you install an interlocked "generator" breaker in main panel (main breaker has to be turned off to move interlock and turn generator breaker on), then Sungold can feed everything on main panel. Up to you to not turn on excessive loads. Manually turn off breaker feeding input of Sungold so it doesn't feed itself.

pick an interlock for your exact model panel. Cost is about $50 for the interlock and about $50 for a breaker.

1665259173472.png

Thanks all for the informed reply’s. After posting I realized it would not work. Another reason if grid was re
energized the transfer switch would be activated Over and over. Also I now understand my inverter will be destroyed. I am set up for manual transfer so will just need to take the extra steps.

If you can run your whole house from the 12k (i run my whole house from 10k) you can just put the inverter in between your power feed and your main panel. Now whether you want to and whether it’s legal is another thing.

Doing the manual interlock is probably best, but doesn’t give you ‘UPS’ style backup, if that matters, unless you ALSO move things that need that onto a separate critical loads panel.

diy solar

diy solar
Back