diy solar

diy solar

Sungold wiring help please

Mfig07

Looking for recommendations. I am in the process of installing a 10k sungold inverter. This will be installed in the garage next to the main panel. Need help with what gauge wire to use.. my solar panels are 60 feet from the inverter, is 10 gauge wire good. From main panel to inverter and From inverter to sub panel will need wire size as well. Also what cut off breakers and disconnect’s switches will I need.

For the solar wire the short answer is 10 gauge.

For the other items I really think you should comb over what the manual says and follow those recommendations. It should be pretty specific about what you need.
Ok will check on the manual, I just see so many videos and people using thicker wire was not sure if it was for safety or a peace of mind..

Well, there's rules for how these things are determined. They're made up by people who are very interested in not burning down your house so they play it safe. Going beyond what the manual and the NEC says is usually a waste of copper in my opinion.

There's sometimes a justification when it comes to the battery since a larger gauge will mitigate voltage drops.

Manual is actually pretty good.
6AWG for AC side.
10AWG will be fine for your panels. Iirc the manual recommends ferrules for the PV wire.

This may help you.

6AWG for AC side.
10AWG will be fine for your panels. Iirc the manual recommends ferrules for the PV wire.

This may help you.
Thank you should I use copper ferrules for all the wires going in the inverter..

Thank you should I use copper ferrules for all the wires going in the inverter..
I'd have to double check the manual but I think they are only needed for the PV.
I'm not an expert by any means and I know ferrule discussions have started a pissing match on here before...
This is the kit I ordered. It has lots that you'll likely never use but I've 0 had issues with the 10awg running ~300V and ~20a on my PV connections.
iCrimp Ferrule Crimping Tool Kit, AWG 23-10 Self-adjustable Ratchet Ferrule Crimper Plier c/w 770End Sleeve Ferrules Connector Terminals on Electrician, Contractors, Repair Support https://a.co/d/ePUqfPY

I wrote this/these notes to myself as I was considering my installation location, logistics, etc. etc...

No guarantees this is right or matches the manual...

10 AWG w/ferrules to PV

1/0 AWG to batteries

6 AWG to Power Grid
8 AWG Neutral

I wrote this/these notes to myself as I was considering my installation location, logistics, etc. etc...

No guarantees this is right or matches the manual...

10 AWG w/ferrules to PV

1/0 AWG to batteries

6 AWG to Power Grid
8 AWG Neutral

Thank you. My inverter should arrive Wednesday from sungold..I am setting parts at a time I got 8 solar panels 2500 watts. I purchased a dc and ac breaker switch. 75 feet pv 10 gauge wire. I still have to purchase a sub panel and batterie. I will post pictures of the breakers cut off switch, let me khown if they are good or not. remember I purchased this for the 6200 PowMr 240v inverter wich I can’t use.

Attachments

• IMG_9439.jpeg
    IMG_9439.jpeg
    846.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9438.jpeg
    IMG_9438.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9437.jpeg
    IMG_9437.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 9
One thing I should mention about your equipment, try making sure everything you get is UL or ETL listed if possible.
Ok thank you, will sent back the pv breaker because I don’t see a UL or ETL anywhere. Ac breaker hase it, but not sure if is the correct one for the 10k sungold

From Solar Panels to Inverter (DC Side):
For the DC side (from the solar panels to the inverter), the wire gauge will depend on the maximum current (amperage) your solar panels can produce. Refer to the specifications provided by the solar panel manufacturer.
At a distance of 60 feet, you may want to consider using a larger wire gauge to minimize voltage drop. A common choice might be 8 AWG or 10 AWG for moderate amperage.
From Inverter to Main Panel (AC Side):
For the AC side (from the inverter to the main panel), the wire gauge will depend on the maximum output current of the inverter. Check the inverter specifications for this information.
At 10,000 watts (10 kW), you'll likely need a larger wire gauge to handle the AC power. A common choice might be 6 AWG or 8 AWG.
From Inverter to Sub Panel (AC Side):
Similar to the connection to the main panel, the wire gauge from the inverter to the sub panel will depend on the inverter's output current. Use the inverter specifications to determine the appropriate wire size.
Again, a common choice might be 6 AWG or 8 AWG for this connection.
Circuit Breakers and Disconnects:
Install a DC disconnect switch near the solar panels. This allows you to disconnect the solar panels from the inverter for maintenance or in case of emergencies.
Install an AC disconnect switch between the inverter and the main panel. This allows you to disconnect the inverter from the grid for maintenance or emergency situations.
Install circuit breakers appropriate for the wire sizes used in both the DC and AC sides. Follow local electrical codes and regulations for the selection of circuit breakers.

Thank you! I will post picture of the solar panel information. I just receive my inverter today so I will post information on the also tomorrow..

Solar panel specs and inverted specs, will need help with what size breaker and disconnect switch to get thank you

Attachments

• IMG_9463.jpeg
    IMG_9463.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9457.jpeg
    IMG_9457.jpeg
    678.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9458.jpeg
    IMG_9458.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
6AWG for AC side.

This may help you.
Good afternoon, question do you have a sub panel on your system if so what do you have, I am trying to see what panel to get.

Good afternoon, question do you have a sub panel on your system if so what do you have, I am trying to see what panel to get.
Hello, I'm feeding my entire house back to the main panel.
Regardless what you do I would recommend a panel to distribute your loads.
Something like this should work nicely for you, land the inverter AC out with 6AWG and a 60a breaker.

Hello, I'm feeding my entire house back to the main panel.
Regardless what you do I would recommend a panel to distribute your loads.
Something like this should work nicely for you, land the inverter AC out with 6AWG and a 60a breaker.
Wow you read my mind I grab the same unit today when I got the 6 gauge wire but I put it back because I was not sure. Ok can you explain if you don’t mine. how do I run the wire from the main panel to the inverter input , is it like this from the main panel run a 60 amp breaker or {80 if iam connecting my central ac to the sub panel} to the inverter L1-L2-N-G then / from inverter Run 60 amp L1-L2-N to the sub Panel let me know if I am wrong please..and do you have a 25amp pv breaker.

Last edited:
Wow you read my mind I grab the same unit today when I got the 6 gauge wire but I put it back because I was not sure. Ok can you explain if you don’t mine. how do I run the wire from the main panel to the inverter input , is it like this from the main panel run a 60 amp breaker or {80 if iam connecting my central ac to the sub panel} to the inverter L1-L2-N-G then / from inverter Run 60 amp L1-L2-N to the sub Panel let me know if I am wrong please..and do you have a 25amp pv breaker.
Sounds like you have it figured out. You need a G to the sub panel as well. You should also read up on N/G bonding, lots of threads here, you want 1 N/G bond in the system at your main panel from what I understand.
I'm using a few different breaker and fuse sizes on the PV because I'm combining arrays, 25a would be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20230830_183839.jpg
    IMG_20230830_183839.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Sounds like you have it figured out. You need a G to the sub panel as well. You should also read up on N/G bonding, lots of threads here, you want 1 N/G bond in the system at your main panel from what I understand.
I'm using a few different breaker and fuse sizes on the PV because I'm combining arrays, 25a would be fine.
Good evening Happy Thanksgiving.I was thinking of doing like this video I am going to share, both panels are grounded and incase the inverter fails I can still have grid power.. let me khown what you thinks.. is the first video. #inverterwiring - YouTube https://m.youtube.com/hashtag/inverterwiring

Last edited:
Back