diy solar

diy solar

SunGoldPower vs eg4 48v rack battery

squarpeg

I am looking at 48v rack system batteries. I was set on the Signature Solar EG4 lifepower. Until I just came across Sunpowers 48V 100AH Server Rack LiFePO4 Lithium Battery SG48100P... they are running a sale and they claim FREE shipping. I put the thing in my cart and it says free shipping, 15% off which brings total cost to $1402.59 per battery. Claiming 10 year guarantee which is 5 years more than the EG4. I have a victron inverter which will require buying the $100 eg4 communication hub, The sunpower may not need that .....not sure. Shipping on a single battery from signature solar shows $260. Can I hear the communities opinion. Much appreciated.

Your post says "batteries" implying multiples. If that's the case, the SunGoldPower's are even cheaper per battery if you put the 2-pack or 4-pack in your cart vs multiple singles ;) As for opinions - I'm not really a fan of the right/left terminals the SunGoldPower. You can't set two of them side-by-side without leaving several inches (a foot?) for the proper cable bending radius.

Last edited:
I am looking at 48v rack system batteries. I was set on the Signature Solar EG4 lifepower. Until I just came across Sunpowers 48V 100AH Server Rack LiFePO4 Lithium Battery SG48100P... they are running a sale and they claim FREE shipping. I put the thing in my cart and it says free shipping, 15% off which brings total cost to $1402.59 per battery. Claiming 10 year guarantee which is 5 years more than the EG4. I have a victron inverter which will require buying the $100 eg4 communication hub, The sunpower may not need that .....not sure. Shipping on a single battery from signature solar shows $260. Can I hear the communities opinion. Much appreciated.
My advise is if you can't get proof they have it in stock I would NEVER order from their website. I will be posting all the fun I just went thru with them in that thread about 450watt solar panels I started.

But the short version is if you can't buy it off amazon don't buy from them in my opinion. They have an amazon store and if it says you can order it from there they have it or actually amazon has it from them. Don't use their website unless you like gambling. I'm not saying you can't get something from their website. I'm saying you have NO CLUE WHEN you will get what you ordered from their website. I'm still waiting on the money to clear from them refunding me from my failed attempt at buying panels from them so I can order elsewhere.

So if their amazon store says unavailable its UNAVAILABLE even on their company website. The company website doesn't take into effect if they actually have it or not.

I bought four of their sp6548 and never had problems with prompt shipping. However they seem to be very evasive on any warranty issues so if you assume you're buying a cheap battery with no warranty then your expectations will not be disappointed.

I bought four of their sp6548 and never had problems with prompt shipping. However they seem to be very evasive on any warranty issues so if you assume you're buying a cheap battery with no warranty then your expectations will not be disappointed.
My problem with them and their website is they lied to me. Flat out (I have all my emails from them) lied to me thru the entire process. I'll be posting them in that thread I mentioned once I get the new stuff ordered.

Your post says "batteries" implying multiples. If that's the case, the SunGoldPower's are even cheaper per battery if you put the 2-pack or 4-pack in your cart vs multiple singles ;) As for opinions - I'm not really a fan of the right/left terminals the SunGoldPower. You can't set two of them side-by-side without leaving several inches (a foot?) for the proper cable bending radius.
I noticed sungold does not seem to offer a premade rack. Not sure what the deal is with that. Your saying it is too tight a bend cable to stack them?

My advise is if you can't get proof they have it in stock I would NEVER order from their website. I will be posting all the fun I just went thru with them in that thread about 450watt solar panels I started.

But the short version is if you can't buy it off amazon don't buy from them in my opinion. They have an amazon store and if it says you can order it from there they have it or actually amazon has it from them. Don't use their website unless you like gambling. I'm not saying you can't get something from their website. I'm saying you have NO CLUE WHEN you will get what you ordered from their website. I'm still waiting on the money to clear from them refunding me from my failed attempt at buying panels from them so I can order elsewhere.

So if their amazon store says unavailable its UNAVAILABLE even on their company website. The company website doesn't take into effect if they actually have it or not.
I do not see them on amazon. Several other sellers are offering them, being significantly undercut by their supplier. I do have time on this as I am building my house at the moment and just accumulating the system. I can wait till the fall if needed.

Well this is what I am trying to find out, are they cheap, such as in a quality significantly below the LG4? Does anyone actually have this battery?

I do not see them on amazon. Several other sellers are offering them, being significantly undercut by their supplier. I do have time on this as I am building my house at the moment and just accumulating the system. I can wait till the fall if needed.
If your in no hurry and have up to a month to get something from them then their website should be fine probably. If you need it now its not a safe bet.

I didn't see the batteries on their amazon page last time I looked.

I noticed sungold does not seem to offer a premade rack. Not sure what the deal is with that. Your saying it is too tight a bend cable to stack them?

You can't put them side by side like this because the only way for the cables to come off the terminals is left/right side rather than up/down like the EG4's or literally any direction like the SOK's.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 35
Just a follow-up to this thread. This morning I received an e-mail from Sungold support stating they have confirmed with their engineers that the Victron inverter protocols are included in this battery and that they have tested it with a Victron inverter. When you are dealing with Sungold support you are obviously dealing with a Chinese person. English is their second language and my guess is the person you are having technical discussions with was hired for their language skills. This person is not an actual engineer or even an advanced technical person. So anything complicated is going to involve someone whos first language is not english translating to someone in chinese and then getting their response and translating back to english. It is easy to see how hard it might be to get correct answers. I am hoping for the best.

I just ordered two of the EG4 Powerpro wall mount batteries. Most of my research on EG4 is from this forum, so I'm hoping Signature Solar and EG4 are as reputable as I've read here. I did buy an EG4 Chargeverter - 48V 5100W battery charger from Signature Solar and I had excellent service, fast delivery and it's working fine. I know Signature Solar has had some problems, but I'm hoping these are growing pains and that they learn from their mistakes.

I was going to build my own batteries using EVE 280Ah or 304Ah cells, but the issues I read about here getting poor quality and no service from Chinese businesses was a concern. EG4 looks like they have good engineers designing their products, they have had mostly good customer support, and look like they will be around to back up their warranty in case it's needed.

Back