diy solar

diy solar

Sunny Boy error messages - time to get a new inverter?

tdkehoe

I'll post the error messages from my 2006 Sunny Boy 2kw inverter. Is it time to get a new inverter? What inverter should I buy?

The model number is WR21UW9E?

SMA says: "The message Fac-Bfr means that the power frequency is not within the permissible range."

It's getting 294V in from the photovoltaics and producing 0 watts.

It's produced 15,559 kWh over 56,571 hours. At $0.10 per kWh that's $1,500 of electricity? From a system that cost $25,000 in 2009? With subsidies I paid $5,000.

Attachments

• IMG_9154.jpg
    IMG_9154.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9155.jpg
    IMG_9155.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9157.jpg
    IMG_9157.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9158.jpg
    IMG_9158.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9159.jpg
    IMG_9159.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9160.jpg
    IMG_9160.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 0
I think @Hedges is the best person to advise you on what to buy.
If SMA has served you well then I would stick with the company.

I'll post the error messages from my 2006 Sunny Boy 2kw inverter. Is it time to get a new inverter? What inverter should I buy?

The model number is WR21UW9E?

SMA says: "The message Fac-Bfr means that the power frequency is not within the permissible range."

It's getting 294V in from the photovoltaics and producing 0 watts.

It's produced 15,559 kWh over 56,571 hours. At $0.10 per kWh that's $1,500 of electricity? From a system that cost $25,000 in 2009? With subsidies I paid $5,000.
The grid frequency is no longer within the permissible range ("Bfr" or "Srr" is an internal message that has no meaning for the user).
For reasons of safety, the Sunny Boy / Sunny Mini Central disconnects itself from the grid.

Check the grid frequency and the grid connection on the inverter.
If the grid frequency lies within the tolerance range, yet "Fac-Bfr", "Fac-Srr" or "FacFast" faults are still being displayed, contact the SMA Service Line

Last edited:

Check with a volt meter if you still measure AC voltage on the AC terminals of the inverter.
The display is clear about the DC being available.
I have seen it multiple times there was some work done and they either cut a cable or put a nail/screw through it and it "suddenly didn't work anymore".

Last edited:
I know this is old, but I got a Vac bfr message once. It happens when the voltage goes over the max set point. For me it was Vac>264v. = 240V +10% max. = 264. So it was hitting the +10% max limit and turning off. During the day, Vac gets pretty high here. You can use the Sunny Data control to adjust the limit to be +20% max. Range is +0 % to 20% more. If you adjust to +20%, Vac can go to 288v before the inverter disconnects. The frequency should have a similar adjusting rang assuming that is the problem. But you need to have the Sunny Data control to change any of the parameters.

If the installer has set it to needing a Grid code you will also need one as well as SDC to adjust any Grid related parameter.

I think that is for the newer inverters. For the old 5000, 6000, etc. the password is the checksum of the date as I remember. 4/26/2024 is 4+26+24 =54, so password is ID0054.

That is the installer password that gets you all but the Grid parameters, if the very first installer set it to need Grid code then you are locked out of the Grid parameters. I have the old SB's, 75% need a grid code on top of installer password for grid parameter access. 25% allow all parameters to be accessed with the installer password.

Back