diy solar

diy solar

Sunny Island 6048 on/off

mobileclimate

So is there any way to bypass the on/off Dc switch on the sunny island ? It seems like it would be possible with the EVTV bms v2 and using the bleed resistor bypass circuit ..I have the midnite solar sma ext box with the 250 amp Dc circuit breaker underneath the Sunny island so I know there has to be some way to use the bleed resistor circuit to prefill the capacitors on it…just wanted to see if anyone tried doing that cause it sure would be nice to reset them remotely

So is there any way to bypass the on/off Dc switch on the sunny island ? It seems like it would be possible with the EVTV bms v2 and using the bleed resistor bypass circuit ..I have the midnite solar sma ext box with the 250 amp Dc circuit breaker underneath the Sunny island so I know there has to be some way to use the bleed resistor circuit to prefill the capacitors on it…just wanted to see if anyone tried doing that cause it sure would be nice to reset them remotely
You prefill the capacitors while the DC breaker is off. Yeah, I had a hard time understanding that one as well.

My Procedure: Turn on Main System Breaker (connected to negative battery terminal) > Turn on BMS
The BMS then activates precharge relay for 4 seconds. After 4 seconds, main contactor closes. >Turn on Sunny Island DC breaker. >Done

Apparently, the DC Breaker on the front of the Sunny Island is not an isolation breaker like a normal person would expect it to be, its just a big honking on/off switch that also happens to have a circuit breaker function, but it does not isolate the entire inverter.

I realize this thread is 10 months old, but I've been working with my Sunny Islands and what I've found (after checking all 7 of them) is that the main on-off breaker does indeed disconnect the large capacitor bank from the battery supply terminals.
In the attached photo the lower arrow points to the + battery terminal and the upper arrow points to the +V connection that is common to the 18 large blue capacitors. The intervening connection bar is definitely interrupted by the breaker switch.
I have found a very small capacitance across the battery connection terminals, which may have been misinterpreted as the main huge capacitance.
But I have definitely verified that if you have your battery connected to the Sunny Island and then close its on-off breaker-switch, a large inrush current flows and charges the big blue capacitors. Before you close that main switch, there is no voltage across those blue caps.
Perhaps there are two different design variants out in the field?
My Sunny Islands all came from the DC Solar auction, as far as I can tell.

Attachments

• Circuit Breaker details.jpg
    Circuit Breaker details.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 4
Back