diy solar

diy solar

Surge protection advice

You would put a #12 wire under the same lug as a 3/0? Definitely not code compliant plus there's no overcurrent protection on the SPD's #12 wires and in many cases no way to install or replace it safely since there is no way de-energize it.
Just piggyback the wires to any 2 pole breaker.

Many manufacturers suggest a breaker just for the protective device. This protects them, not so much you. A breaker includes inductance and resistance which will impair the effectiveness of the surge protector. If you want to protect the mini split, put the protective device on that breaker in parallel with the mini. It will still provide some whole house protection. Keep wires as short as possible. I see some idiots that coil up the excess lead of the surge protector and that inductance makes them ineffective. I build my own surge protectors with a number of MOV in parallel or larger hockey puck MOV.

Their tech said sol concerning what they've got to offer. She said I'd have more options if I had a square d panel.
I have a Siemens panel and I use the HEPD80. The breakers I have can NOT be double tapped by code.(I hate that panel and breakers but that’s what I’m stuck with).
You can “pig tail” to any 15, 20 or 30 amp double pole breaker(to connect to line 1&2). It’s not a continuous load so it doesn’t matter if you share the circuit. If the panel is a flush mount there should be room at the bottom of the box to tuck the protector under the breakers. If this is a flush mounted meter/breaker combo, there should be an empty channel above the meter where you can place the device. You just won’t have easy access to see the green indicator lamp.
Be careful, just because you turned off the main breaker, doesn’t mean everything in some panels is dead. If you’re not sure have a qualified electrician do it.

Back