diy solar

diy solar

Surge protection advice

Gotshocked!

Solar Enthusiast
I've installed a 2nd mini split and the company suggested I get a surge protector. I looked into this when putting together my solar system and my eyes started to cross, so I said screw it, I'll worry about it later.
Rather than 2 separate protectors, I figured I'd shoot for a whole house unit. I called square d but there's needs a 2 pole breaker.

My panel has room for 1 single-pole breaker. Does there exist a whole house surge protector for me?

They make them as wire-in devices too, not just as two-pole breakers.

$120 at home depot

But you’ll have to cut a hole somewhere above or below your panel which may not be what you want.
And you’ll still have to wire it into a breaker that takes 2 wires, because you need L1, L2, Ground.

Nevermind, this might just be worse.

Last edited:
My panel has room for 1 single-pole breaker. Does there exist a whole house surge protector for me?
Take some amperage measurements and look into combining some circuits. I bet you find that you have numerous single pole breakers that never see more than a few amps and can be safely ran off of one breaker. Once you do that you can install a two pole breaker and get yourself some proper surge protection.

You can also parallel "double tap" the SPD off a existing 2 pole breaker if it's rated for it. I do that all the time. Notice how the below breaker has two places to land a wire. I stole this image off of the interweb.

1714091318742.png

If you do this you'll only have surge protection on one phase. No bueno.
Right, but if it frees up a space using other circuits, there will be room for a true two-pole SPD to fit.
e.g. he’s got two single-pole 20A breakers, replace them with a single tandem 20-A, freeing up a space next to the other open space.

OP may already have a bunch of tandems, in which case this can’t be done.

Lighting circuits are free money if you have LED, many have dedicated 15a and can be piggy backed onto bedrooms or other lightly loaded circuits.

Right, but if it frees up a space using other circuits, there will be room for a true two-pole SPD to fit.
e.g. he’s got two single-pole 20A breakers, replace them with a single tandem 20-A, freeing up a space next to the other open space.

OP may already have a bunch of tandems, in which case this can’t be done.
Sorry I misread your post as saying that using a tandem breaker for the SPD.

Midnite Solar SPD.
It takes up no breaker spaces.
How do you wire it into your AC system without a breaker?

Sorry I misread your post as saying that using a tandem breaker for the SPD.

How do you wire it into your AC system without a breaker?
Black wire to L1, Red wire to L2, Green wire to ground.
You can attach the wires where the main panel wires tie into the panel, or piggyback them to any 2 pole breaker.

You can attach the wires where the main panel wires tie into the panel
That seems like it would be unwise if I'm understanding what you're saying.

You would put a #12 wire under the same lug as a 3/0? Definitely not code compliant plus there's no overcurrent protection on the SPD's #12 wires and in many cases no way to install or replace it safely since there is no way de-energize it.

Consider connecting the flying wire type SPD to any suitable existing 2-pole breaker, or two 1-pole breakers on different legs. In parallel with whatever load is there.
Some breakers are rated for two wires.

It will protect so long as that breaker is on.

Thanks for all the feed back fellas.
I've lived in 5 homes in 4 different states and have never had any type of surge protector. I did replace the mother board in a fridge and a stove, both at the same house. 2 GE profile appliances that I bought while remodeling the house and the fridge was only a few years old, the stove many years older than that when they gave up, but that's it and I cannot say for sure exactly why these boards went bad. No other issues.

You can attach the wires where the main panel wires tie into the panel, or piggyback them to any 2 pole breaker.
The instructions for the HEPD80 actually give instructions for alternate wiring for “direct buss” right after the main disconnect. The units have internal thermal and over current protection. Instructions describe “pigtailing” where a double tap breaker terminal isn’t available. My protectors have two black wires for line 1&2, white for neutral and green to ground. I use two units, one after the meter that protects the inverter and the other after the inverter since there’s rarely pass through. The one between the inverter and load protects everything from surges from something inside the house, the most common origin of a surge, not outside!

Their tech said sol concerning what they've got to offer. She said I'd have more options if I had a square d panel.

Back