diy solar

diy solar

Temco Lug Crimping Tool

Wire gauges are standard, but terminals vary and so crimpers may not fit as desired.
"UL Listed" is only for a specific terminal and tool/die which were all tested together.
DIY is going to involve some trial and error, especially when no-name tools and components are used.
When a hydraulic tool with half a dozen die can be had for $60, vs. a name brand tool for as much as $3000 and die (not included) costing $300 each, some compromises may be tolerable.
I didn’t even think about the quality of the terminal.

Never having done this before, I purchased a cheapie kit of 160 Chinese tinned copper lugs but they may be thinner than higher-quality lugs.

If anyone has recommendations on 2/0 lugs that have worked well for them in a hydraulic crimper, I’d appreciate a link.

I’d rather figure out how to successfully use a cheap hydraulic crimper with high-quality lugs than to figure out how to successfully use cheap low-quality lugs with a high-quality crimper...

And second, I’m concerned that the lug layer around the wire may be too thin - is it possible to over-crimp and if so, how do you know when to stop?
Did you check the link I posted bit earlier?
https://temcoindustrial.com/product-guides/tools/crimping-tool-selection-guide
Ears=over-crimp
Round corners = under crimp.
And like I said, I'd rather have some small ears than loose crimp.
Pull test is also reasonably easy way to find your crimps perform:
153848579.Gou8qxr9.ZCrimpTensileStrength.jpg1.jpg

It gets bit unpractical if you want to test to MIL standard as it would require 875 lbs pull for 4/0 crimp.
ABYC on the other hand is least demanding standard of these.

Not rocket science to grind or file off a bit from the dies if they don't work with the terminal size/brand you are using.

I didn’t even think about the quality of the terminal.

Never having done this before, I purchased a cheapie kit of 160 Chinese tinned copper lugs but they may be thinner than higher-quality lugs.

If anyone has recommendations on 2/0 lugs that have worked well for them in a hydraulic crimper, I’d appreciate a link.

I’d rather figure out how to successfully use a cheap hydraulic crimper with high-quality lugs than to figure out how to successfully use cheap low-quality lugs with a high-quality crimper...
Heavy-duty tubular terminals from any street-credible western brand.
For example Molex from digi-key:

Heavy-duty tubular terminals from any street-credible western brand.
For example Molex from digi-key:
Thanks. This is probably a case where paying more for known quality is a better investment.

The cheapie Chinese lugs I got are ‘open toe’ (small opening above the ring terminal where you can barely see the inserted copper wires) versus the sealed-end style.

Is there a strong reason to select one style over the other? Better corrosion-resistance with the sealed-end?

Thanks. This is probably a case where paying more for known quality is a better investment.

The cheapie Chinese lugs I got are ‘open toe’ (small opening above the ring terminal where you can barely see the inserted copper wires) versus the sealed-end style.

Is there a strong reason to select one style over the other? Better corrosion-resistance with the sealed-end?
Chinese terminals look like the hole is torn accidentally in the forming process.

Peek-a-boo hole lets you verify that the wire is inserted all the way to the terminal. Not much value unless you are inspecting other peoples handwork.

The dies are labelled by mm^2. So the largest die with this yellow cheapie hydraulic crimper is labelled ‘70’ meaning 7mm^2 intended to crimp 2/0AWG cable which is 67.4mm^2.

Now 70mm^2 is only 3.86% larger than 2/0AWG wire, so that 70mm^2 die is likely to be a much better fit for that 2/0AWG wire than the 6mm^2 is for 10AWG wire (die 14.1% larger than wire).

The more expensive TemCo dies are supposed to be much better fitted to US wire sizes. For the main wire sizes I care about which are 2/0, 4/0, and 6/0 I’m just not sure it’s worth the +200% premium.

But for small wires like 10AWG in #6 die, these yellow cheapie hydraulic crimpers are not really usable (if the crimp can be recovered, it will be a lot of work).

My TEMCo dies are labeled for specific wire gauges. No guessing and no calculations needed. 2/0 die goes on 2/0 cable lug.

Did you check the link I posted bit earlier?
https://temcoindustrial.com/product-guides/tools/crimping-tool-selection-guide
Ears=over-crimp
Round corners = under crimp.
And like I said, I'd rather have some small ears than loose crimp.
Pull test is also reasonably easy way to find your crimps perform:
153848579.Gou8qxr9.ZCrimpTensileStrength.jpg1.jpg

It gets bit unpractical if you want to test to MIL standard as it would require 875 lbs pull for 4/0 crimp.
ABYC on the other hand is least demanding standard of these.

Not rocket science to grind or file off a bit from the dies if they don't work with the terminal size/brand you are using.
Yes, I reviewed that and I’m not concerned that I undercrimped.

If anything, I’m concerned that with a full 10-tons of force on those cheapie Chinese lugs, I’ve over-crimped at 10AWG. The ‘wings’ to either side of the crimp are very this and very sharp and extend out as wide as the crimp itself to either side (so about as wide as the ring in total.

I’m not worried that crimp will pull off but I am worried that if I file off those wings, is will fall apart. And I’m also worried I might have thinned the material around the wires - I gave it the full 10 tons.

I just completed an 8AWG crimp using the 10mm^2 die. 8 AWG is 8.37mm^2 so the 10mm^2 die is 19.5% oversized (even more oversized than the 6mm^2 die for 10AWG).

I was able to get a much more successful crimp out of that die. Pretty much a perfect hexagon. I had to go slowly, rotating through all 3 hexagonal positions to avoid wings getting too big. I eventually went to a full 10 tons but not until a perfect crimp was largely formed.

The cheapie 8AWG lug I have fit the stranded 8AWG wire much more closely than the cheapie 10AWG lug fit the 10AWG wire, so that may be a critical factor that influenced the quality of the crimp.

I’ll circle back and try a more slow & careful job on a 10AWG lug in case that will allow me to form a perfect hexagon even with that oversized die.

But this successful experience at 8AWG has convinced me that this cheapie Chinese Hydraulic Crimper should be successful at larger lug sizes as long as you take the time to go slowly (partial pressure, then release and rotate 130-degrees, and repeat, never allowing extended wings to form...).

My TEMCo dies are labeled for specific wire gauges. No guessing and no calculations needed. 2/0 die goes on 2/0 cable lug.
Don’t worry, I understood that. The new Temcoversion 5 (or whatever) with dies covering 12AWG to 4/0 AWG looks sweet and the tool-junkie in me wants one.

My practical side is telling me spending that much on a tool I’m only going to use once to build this battery is foolish is another tool costing 1/5th the price will work as well.

So I think I’m going to make certain I have good-quality proper-thickness 2/0 lugs to try on my 2/0 welders wire with this Chinese cheapo and see how it goes, saving a new TemCo as a fallback in case that proves unsatisfactory.

The tool-junkie in me and my practical don’t waste money side are often at odds with each other ;).

OK, after another attempt at 10AWG, I’ve come to the conclusion that the issue is primarily with my cheap 10AWG lugs rather than the 6mm^2 die.

10AWG stranded wire in that 10AWG lug has waaay more play than the 8AWG wire had in the 8AWG lug (all the wire came from Home Depot and I assume the dimensions are correct.

So with all that excess lug material, wings start to form before the wire is even getting crimped (I can easily slide the wire out and back in with the first formation of wings.

Being very careful as spending way more time than makes sense, I succeeded to get a satisfactory crimp of my oversized 10AWG lug on 10AWG wire using the 6mm^2 die.

It involved repeatedly crushing short wings down by rotating 90 or 120 degrees.

At the end, I was able to crimp to a full 10 tons, there are no longer any visible wings (so I should have no issue with shrink-tubing), and the shape is pretty close to a perfect hexagon (though tolerances impact the 6mm^2 die far more than they do the larger die sizes.

So for me the conclusions are:

1/ if smaller-gauge crimps like 10AWG and 12AWG are your priority, these cheapo 10-ton Chinese crimpers may be able to do the job if you find well-sized lugs and take your time with each crimp.

2/ at wire sizes 8AWG and above, it probably takes more time to get a perfect hexagonal crimp than it would with a higher-quality crimper and dies like TemCo, but it’s not too bad (3-4 cycles rather than only 1).

3/ smaller wire sizes were not my priority and so I’m thinking I may want to spend a bit more for the 11-ton cheapo Chinese model that adds a die for 4/0AWG and skips the smaller dies for 12AWG and 10AWG...

But overall, these cheapo Chinese crimping tools deliver pretty decent value for the cost (no idea yet of lifetime or long-term reliability, of course).

OK, after another attempt at 10AWG, I’ve come to the conclusion that the issue is primarily with my cheap 10AWG lugs rather than the 6mm^2 die.

10AWG stranded wire in that 10AWG lug has waaay more play than the 8AWG wire had in the 8AWG lug (all the wire came from Home Depot and I assume the dimensions are correct.

So with all that excess lug material, wings start to form before the wire is even getting crimped (I can easily slide the wire out and back in with the first formation of wings.

Being very careful as spending way more time than makes sense, I succeeded to get a satisfactory crimp of my oversized 10AWG lug on 10AWG wire using the 6mm^2 die.

At the end, I was able to crimp to a full 10 tons, there are no longer any visible wings (so I should have no issue with shrink-tubing), and the shape is pretty close to a perfect hexagon (though tolerances impact the 6mm^2 die far more than they do the larger die sizes.

1/ if smaller-gauge crimps like 10AWG and 12AWG are your priority, these cheapo 10-ton Chinese crimpers may be able to do the job if you find well-sized lugs and take your time with each crimp.

2/ at wire sizes 8AWG and above, it probably takes more time to get a perfect hexagonal crimp than it would with a higher-quality crimper and dies like TemCo, but it’s not too bad (3-4 cycles rather than only 1).

3/ smaller wire sizes were not my priority and so I’m thinking I may want to spend a bit more for the 11-ton cheapo Chinese model that adds a die for 4/0AWG and skips the smaller dies for 12AWG and 10AWG...

But overall, these cheapo Chinese crimping tools deliver pretty decent value for the cost (no idea yet of lifetime or long-term reliability, of course).
Yeah, I’ll just stick with a cheapy pair. If they get enough use and don’t last, I’ll invest in quality.

These yellow Chinese tools are all labelled ‘Tuffiom’ and resold by various resellers.

I’m happy-enough with the quality of crimps I’m getting at larger wire sizes that I’m going to return the 10-ton model I have with dues from 4mm^2 to 70mm^2 for this 12-ton Tuffiom model with dies from 10mm^2 to 120mm2 (able to crimp 6AWG to 4/0AWG):

If crimps are smaller wire sizes including 8AWG are a priority, a higher-quality hydraulic tool from TemCo is probably a better choice...

That was going to be my next suggestion. I hedged my bet and bought my cable, lugs, crimper and heat shrink tubing from TEMCo. I don't know if having it all come from the same source ensured my success, but I'm leaning that way because I was completely new to making crimps on big cables.

That was going to be my next suggestion. I hedged my bet and bought my cable, lugs, crimper and heat shrink tubing from TEMCo. I don't know if having it all come from the same source ensured my success, but I'm leaning that way because I was completely new to making crimps on big cables.
Hadn’t even though that crimper makers like TemCo also sells the crimps - makes total sense.

I’m impressed enough with these $30 Tuffiom YOK-10 hydraulic crimpers that I think I’m going to try to make some 2/0 cables with them, but the moment I run into any real issue, I’m going to fall back to getting a TemCo solution...

What AWG lugs have you crimped with yours?

2/0, 1, and 6. I think I a 2 or 4, but it was a one-off. Here's my project box of lugs and connectors.
Missing pic?

If you’ve successfully used your TemCo for 2/0 and 6, those are the two most important wire sizes for by build too...

These yellow Chinese tools are all labelled ‘Tuffiom’ and resold by various resellers.

I’m happy-enough with the quality of crimps I’m getting at larger wire sizes that I’m going to return the 10-ton model I have with dues from 4mm^2 to 70mm^2 for this 12-ton Tuffiom model with dies from 10mm^2 to 120mm2 (able to crimp 6AWG to 4/0AWG):

If crimps are smaller wire sizes including 8AWG are a priority, a higher-quality hydraulic tool from TemCo is probably a better choice...
Thanks for posting that. I’d searched for tuffiom and found nothing of crimpers. Will’s link says out of stock, which is what originally lead me to search it.

Thanks for posting that. I’d searched for tuffiom and found nothing of crimpers. Will’s link says out of stock, which is what originally lead me to search it.
Yeah, the box says Tuffiom but I believe that’s the manufacturer and they are only available here under various no-name Chinese resellers.

The crimper itself says YOK-70 (for the 10-ton model, presumably YOK-12 and YOK-16 for the 12-ton and 16-ton models) but no other indication of the manufacturer.

Had Will reviewed these Tuffiom crimpers? What did he think?

I see the picture. Still not there for you?
See it now. Did you get it as a kit or put it together yourself?

I see the TemCo 2/0 plated lugs - they are $2/ea on Temco’s website but only about half that in packs of 20 through eBay (if you trust that they are the same).

Thanks to this thread I think I’ll be going with TemCo for all of my lugs...

Yeah, the box says Tuffiom but I believe that’s the manufacturer and they are only available here under various no-name Chinese resellers.

The crimper itself says YOK-70 (for the 10-ton model, presumably YOK-12 and YOK-16 for the 12-ton and 16-ton models) but no other indication of the manufacturer.

Had Will reviewed these Tuffiom crimpers? What did he think?
Don’t know if he reviewed them, but has them listed in the tools section of his mobile solar site.

edit: or not....idfk know. He has hlcat listed now.

Last edited:
Back