diy solar

diy solar

Temporary Sawhorse Solar Array

NinjaDeathMonk

Just completed this solar panel setup inspired by Will's 600W sawhorse array. I used door hinges to secure the panels, which ended up being the perfect size.
In the end, it's collapsible for storage, but still quite sturdy. Just what I needed. Thanks, Will.

Attachments

• 20200722_120208.jpg
    20200722_120208.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200722_120226.jpg
    20200722_120226.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 48
Just completed this solar panel setup inspired by Will's 600W sawhorse array. I used door hinges to secure the panels, which ended up being the perfect size.
In the end, it's collapsible for storage, but still quite sturdy. Just what I needed. Thanks, Will.
Looks nice but in my case I'm looking for a way to raise it up for 3+ ft of snow.

Don’t forget your ground screw tie down ?
It's not far from an electrical outlet. I was thinking of hacking a three prong extention and using the ground line only connected to the house. Is that a thing people do?

I meant the ground screw with a tether like Will used to keep it from blowing away. You can see it in his video that you linked.

For a small system like this, typically used to charge a battery, rarely do I see them electrically grounded.

Question: Would this reasonably work with the utility hinge fasteners and a larger (taller) set of solar panels...say 250watts (which are taller)?

Looks nice but in my case I'm looking for a way to raise it up for 3+ ft of snow.
My temporary 12 panel array is setup with 3 panels on a easy fold able stand (adjustable for tilt) in December tilt of 75 deg now sitting at 50. It is made up of 3 - 10' 2x6's and 4 - 8' 2x8 and 2 - 8' 1x4's, 2 door hinges and some screws. The two 2x6 (Top & Bottom) are screwed together with two 8' 2x4's making a big rectangle. The remaining 2x6 is the bottom of the back part (folding) and is screwed to the other 8' 2x4's. Those 2x4's are attached to the 2x4's connected to the top 2x6 making a triangle shaped stand that is hinged at the top back. The 2 1x4's are screwed to the sides of the 2x4's to hold the angle of the so called triangle stand. I then attached the rails and panels across the 2x4's. My panels are about 20" above the ground, could easily raise 4" to clear 2'. I chose not to cut any of the lumber so I could re-use as these are temporary stands until the snow melts and ground thaws. Just an idea, simple and could easily be improved.

My temporary 12 panel array is setup with 3 panels on a easy fold able stand (adjustable for tilt) in December tilt of 75 deg now sitting at 50. It is made up of 3 - 10' 2x6's and 4 - 8' 2x8 and 2 - 8' 1x4's, 2 door hinges and some screws. The two 2x6 (Top & Bottom) are screwed together with two 8' 2x4's making a big rectangle. The remaining 2x6 is the bottom of the back part (folding) and is screwed to the other 8' 2x4's. Those 2x4's are attached to the 2x4's connected to the top 2x6 making a triangle shaped stand that is hinged at the top back. The 2 1x4's are screwed to the sides of the 2x4's to hold the angle of the so called triangle stand. I then attached the rails and panels across the 2x4's. My panels are about 20" above the ground, could easily raise 4" to clear 2'. I chose not to cut any of the lumber so I could re-use as these are temporary stands until the snow melts and ground thaws. Just an idea, simple and could easily be improved.
Sounds simple and pretty cool. Would you be able to show a picture for further illustration?

Back