diy solar

diy solar

Test run with a small system first?

Alright. got the panels now. this guy apparently sells used ones all the time so I can add on if i wanted to that way, but I probably wont. now I need to get batteries and the AIO. Found a local guy who may have some battle born LiFeP 12v 200ah for 700. may get those but it seems a little steep for what im doing. That or some sealed lead acid batteries or something. I don't know yet

Since you are starting with panels first keep in mind all the specs so that any other purchases will work with them. Double and triple check since it is easy to confuse models and outputs of various ones.

Since you are starting with panels first keep in mind all the specs so that any other purchases will work with them. Double and triple check since it is easy to confuse models and outputs of various ones.
Yeah. i am probably sticking with that PowMR AIO for this set up. may just go ahead and order it. i think that the battery is a little tougher decision for me now.

1710014079731.png

Kind of a terrible drawing. But it seems like I need to have a 4 AWG wire for the batteries because the charger operates at 80 amps and I need an 8 or 6 AWG wire for the AC output since the absolute max amps is 33. In the sub panel I can connect to either a 25amp breaker or a 30 amp breaker so that it cuts off if is too much of a load draw. Not sure which amp breaker I should choose or if the standard ones you find at home depot are correct for this application or not. Connecting the remaining loads to the breaker panel would just be standard 12 gauge.

Should I have a switch between the batteries and AIO? I am not sure. I have seen some people do it and others not. Would the 15 amp DC switch also serve as an emergency stop? What do I need to do about that? I can't think of any other switches or things that need to be on the wire between each of the 4 components.

Any other tips on keeping it safe are welcome too.

As Mister S. mentioned the cable to your battery has to carry the inverter amperage needs. Your AIO manual will give you all the details, I like having a fuse also inline between battery and AIO.

Attachments

• Scan_20240309.png
    Scan_20240309.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
oh. ok. thank yall for catching. I see in the manual now too. its actually 2AWG wire instead of 4AWG and 10 instead of 8. wow. very thick. Holy cow 2 gauge wire expensive.

if i wanted to add more panels, would I have to do it in another string? It seems like that would be the case

looks like i found the same model AIO i'm looking at getting on ebay for $50 less

almost seems like this ebay account is affiliated with PowMR too.

Be careful when reading specs! The one from Ebay you link to is the low voltage PV model (max 100Voc) with only 60a charge. The one I gave you was the higher PV model 450Voc) and 80a charge and listed at $429.99

They are very similar but the low voltage one will not work with your panels all in series.

Hopefully you have not already ordered.

Be careful when reading specs! The one from Ebay you link to is the low voltage PV model (max 100Voc) with only 60a charge. The one I gave you was the higher PV model 450Voc) and 80a charge and listed at $429.99

They are very similar but the low voltage one will not work with your panels all in series.

Hopefully you have not already ordered.
Oh yeah. I had realized that after I posted it and forgot to edit. I am getting the correct one directly from source.

Still debating what to do with batteries though. I could go for the two $700 for 12v 200ah battle born battery deal. 1.4k for a test system though. I mean I could use them with something still but I don't think I would build a full battery system around battle born batteries. at least at this point I dont see why I would do that.

Oh yeah. I had realized that after I posted it and forgot to edit. I am getting the correct one directly from source.

Still debating what to do with batteries though. I could go for the two $700 for 12v 200ah battle born battery deal. 1.4k for a test system though. I mean I could use them with something still but I don't think I would build a full battery system around battle born batteries. at least at this point I dont see why I would do that.

Battleborn isn't worth the money, you can get the same capacity for a LOT less money elsewhere.

This is a great price. I haven't tested the Eco Worthy, but they have decent reviews. To get the price just find the item on ebay:

ECO-WORTHY 12V 100Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate LiFePO4 Battery (2 Pack 100ah)For RV

and use the coupon code which showed up automatically for me: SPRINGSAVE20
From another thread.

Battleborn isn't worth the money, you can get the same capacity for a LOT less money elsewhere.

From another thread.
I got something far cheaper. like half as cheap. lol. Everything will all come in over the next week or so and I will build it next week.

Can I just bring the solar into a standard breaker panel with a standard breaker fuse? My idea, like i have in the drawing above, is to put a 30 amp breaker in a smaller breaker panel and just move the loads I want to test in there.

1710766735348.png

This is my main electrical panel. It looks a bit messy to me. I also don't think its anywhere close to what is code now. this is probably the original panel installed in the late 60s early 70s. There is no main switch and I can't even tell if its connected to a grounding rod (i think its there but i just dont see it).

I would certainly need to get a whole panel upgrade to add solar and meet code and to even do a critical loads panel or something, if thats worth it for my situation.

@Mattb4 The AIO should be coming in today. I have the panels all set up and now its just figuring out the wiring parts. Haven't gotten the wires yet though. Think I can get most of what I need from local hardware store though. 1711026074101.png

This is my main electrical panel. It looks a bit messy to me. I also don't think its anywhere close to what is code now. this is probably the original panel installed in the late 60s early 70s. There is no main switch and I can't even tell if its connected to a grounding rod (i think its there but i just dont see it).

I would certainly need to get a whole panel upgrade to add solar and meet code and to even do a critical loads panel or something, if thats worth it for my situation.
I see a heavy bare copper wire that appears to connect to the neutral bus (If it loops up and over under the mess of wires at top) which would make it the NG panel for your home. That bare wire should lead outside your home to the ground rod. Fairly typical electrical panel though it would be better to have a Main Breaker since there is no way to kill it locally for doing work. Is there a Main disconnect out at your pole or anywhere?

Likely you will need a local electrician to explain your options.

ETA: What are those reddish pink small squares on the corner edges of the solar panels? You do not want anything blocking or shading the fronts of the panels.

I see a heavy bare copper wire that appears to connect to the neutral bus (If it loops up and over under the mess of wires at top) which would make it the NG panel for your home. That bare wire should lead outside your home to the ground rod. Fairly typical electrical panel though it would be better to have a Main Breaker since there is no way to kill it locally for doing work. Is there a Main disconnect out at your pole or anywhere?

Likely you will need a local electrician to explain your options.
Doesn't seem like there is a main breaker anywhere. Unless its tucked away in the meter box that I have never tried to open.

ETA: What are those reddish pink small squares on the corner edges of the solar panels? You do not want anything blocking or shading the fronts of the panels.
they are little foam squares. I will pull them off later. I kind of didn't want to fool with them after lifting all the panels by myself. Almost threw my back doing that, which is bad because I am young (33). lol. They are heavier than i thought they would be together and it was hard setting them just right on the wooden posts i put in the ground.

Back