diy solar

diy solar

Test run with a small system first?

I run two of those higher PV voltage units. The last one was on special from Ebay for ~$365. I have an ongoing review on that unit in the AIO Forum. Yes the AC out would use a 30a breaker if you wanted to take full use since it can output 27.5a.

The 4000w limit would put you into over paneling realm since it is an 80a battery charge max. 80a at 25vDC =2000w That is not necessarily bad but would lead to maxing out production at the 2000w level.

Big thing to keep in mind with the high voltage PV units is startup voltage and minimum operating voltages. Your Vmp should be about 10% higher than minimum for the AIO.

ETA: Funny thing when I looked back at the my Ebay purchase I happened to notice this 4000w AIO* with some nice looking specs. It is a name I have not see before, Sumry. But not bad priced for a 140a mid range voltage PV AIO. $348 Maybe if I get some extra money I will try it out.

*https://www.ebay.com/itm/315194884064?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=260258,260884&meid=a6fb758418c1406c8c0ae867c228eb84&pid=101875&rk=4&rkt=4&sd=305216357001&itm=315194884064&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=4429486&algv=SimplAMLv11WebTrimmedV3MskuWithLambda85KnnRecallV1V2V4ItemNrtInQueryAndCassiniVisualRankerAndBertRecallWithVMEV3CPCAutoWithCassiniEmbRecall&_trksid=p4429486.c101875.m1851&itmprp=cksum:315194884064a6fb758418c1406c8c0ae867c228eb84|enc:AQAIAAABYHD%2FO%2BVoFoPPIoZ2g0kOZxWd85mWuIHekSp3qag7zFfwObZeQoitzE%2FDCfcejfO%2BzOLmzZmy11RrgWpA56KM9DpasK%2BGtGYwCFvgaK6ijP5AqShEUhT8f2oX6hvndJ3G0oWH8DD1DlBWseQltpxcSDW2Uu52NrseaxeINpsrDP6vx7ny%2BkPKauMa3yeSanWiilaGfIcMFkc7ri2cYBNLV2fciR470PAgaQw--99prL4bibagWp9bNNxVP4sJRv5EFlOBRd9T3VZijznLdmIpgt35fjhN8%2F5Yh%2FzOZiKqzmrl7Y5nyNvPJwiVFEb%2BW%2FB%2BLxCgkGkT7sPYdwe7z170t5chMhcgvMRqrddSQplkd%2Ff5oHq2YNf4P0OSDrhLDVzsExobnLdpcu1EaaysZJCCKltF%2BxX2CJ5p7DBBixqBmRrSSib72mnaCD4FSOJ8fPgRhFUaEGyKEK2pmntT6j6hGtg%3D|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:4429486&itmmeta=01HRAAKKZCETC9YF372G9D1SVB

So much for that idea. I bought the last one!! So far it's working well - only been on a couple of days tho.

I saw some other comments regarding the Sumry. There are two versions, 230 volt and 120 volt (different wattage versions for both as well). Sumry is the only one I've found for 120v. PowMr has a 4.5 and 6.5kw 230 volt version. I found no online version of the 120 v manual but did find one for the PowMr 230v. The wiring of the comm jack I had to get from Sumry. Full specs for this one were available on their website (in a catalog). I still have not figured out who made it. It doesn't appear to be like any of the Voltronic AIOs.

@Mattb4 is it better to use wire that is specifically solar or is wire like this ok, as long as it is entirely covered in a conduit to prevent UV decay on the sheathing?

Would a DC breaker like this be good?

if something like this isn't good, I think I would just use a fuse or something.

I saw some other comments regarding the Sumry. There are two versions, 230 volt and 120 volt (different wattage versions for both as well). Sumry is the only one I've found for 120v. PowMr has a 4.5 and 6.5kw 230 volt version. I found no online version of the 120 v manual but did find one for the PowMr 230v. The wiring of the comm jack I had to get from Sumry. Full specs for this one were available on their website (in a catalog). I still have not figured out who made it. It doesn't appear to be like any of the Voltronic AIOs.
It would be interesting if you post up a review of the Sumry over on the AIO Forum. If you can find a board number (The SRNE units have one that can be seen by removing the bottom wiring cover) it might help identify it.

@Mattb4 is it better to use wire that is specifically solar or is wire like this ok, as long as it is entirely covered in a conduit to prevent UV decay on the sheathing?

Would a DC breaker like this be good?

if something like this isn't good, I think I would just use a fuse or something.
The advantage of using PV wire is it readily allows MC4 connectors to be added and it does not require conduit. Total price depends on how far you intend to run wire. After years of using whatever was the cheapest (but claimed to be all copper (some tinned)) I could find I switched almost all my PV wires to that I buy from Temco.

Regarding the outdoor PV disconnect you link. I don't see why it would not work for you if it fits your design needs. I have used a combiner box, due to multiple parallel PV strings, in the past but now 2 of my 3 arrays are just series connected panels in 1 string that I bring the PV wire inside to a din rail mount DC breaker for isolation/disconnect before the AIO. My other Array is still making use of my 5 string combiner box but just for 2 strings. One piece of advice regarding teh small DC breakers from China. Getting a tight wire connection with them requires a series of initial tightening , loosening and re-tighten while grasping the breaker body firmly to prevent it coming apart. After a day or so re-check. If you don't do this the wire likely will have a bad connection and can overheat.

Typically you do not need to fuse PV strings unless you have more than 2 strings in parallel.

The advantage of using PV wire is it readily allows MC4 connectors to be added and it does not require conduit. Total price depends on how far you intend to run wire. After years of using whatever was the cheapest (but claimed to be all copper (some tinned)) I could find I switched almost all my PV wires to that I buy from Temco.
Good advice. I am not exactly sure how much wire I will need yet because I am still figuring out how I will be getting the wires into my house. Since this is more or less a temporary set up, I'm not super concerned with doing it to code yet.

Regarding the outdoor PV disconnect you link. I don't see why it would not work for you if it fits your design needs. I have used a combiner box, due to multiple parallel PV strings, in the past but now 2 of my 3 arrays are just series connected panels in 1 string that I bring the PV wire inside to a din rail mount DC breaker for isolation/disconnect before the AIO. My other Array is still making use of my 5 string combiner box but just for 2 strings. One piece of advice regarding teh small DC breakers from China. Getting a tight wire connection with them requires a series of initial tightening , loosening and re-tighten while grasping the breaker body firmly to prevent it coming apart. After a day or so re-check. If you don't do this the wire likely will have a bad connection and can overheat.

Typically you do not need to fuse PV strings unless you have more than 2 strings in parallel.
Probably won't get it then. It just seems like it would be a good idea to have some kind of breaker/fuse between the panels and AIO just in case. its also not clear to me what would be the best product/solution because there is so little that is available off the shelf for DC current.

... It just seems like it would be a good idea to have some kind of breaker/fuse between the panels and AIO just in case. its also not clear to me what would be the best product/solution because there is so little that is available off the shelf for DC current.
I think it is a necessity. Lots of DC breakers available online. Some good, some not so good. Make sure if you wire one in that you follow the proper line to load connection. If it has polarity markings these need to be followed also.

I am also still somewhat confused on how to connect the solar to a standard breaker panel. Can I just take the AC output from the AIO and run it through a normal breaker (by normal I mean a breaker I can pick up at home depot or lowes etc) and just run the load through it? If so, I would only need a 25 or 30 amp single pole breaker to act as a main breaker to connect to the sub panel.

I am also still somewhat confused on how to connect the solar to a standard breaker panel. Can I just take the AC output from the AIO and run it through a normal breaker (by normal I mean a breaker I can pick up at home depot or lowes etc) and just run the load through it? If so, I would only need a 25 or 30 amp single pole breaker to act as a main breaker to connect to the sub panel.
Yes you can use standard AC breakers after the AC out. Feeding a panel from it makes it the main distribution panel (critical load panel) of your PV system. Or you can put a transfer switch between a grid feed to a sub panel, and the AC out of your AIO, so that the AIO can be isolated and you still can power the critical load panel.

You do not want to feed into any panel that also has grid without a means of disconnecting it. You also can not supply your AIO's "AC in" by a panel that is being powered by the AIO's AC out. I am adding a simple diagram of a setup. Teh breaker listed in it would have to be changed for your AIO's specs.

Critical Load panel.png

Last edited:
Yes you can use standard AC breakers after the AC out. Feeding a panel from it makes it the main distribution panel (critical load panel) of your PV system. Or you can put a transfer switch between a grid feed to a sub panel, and the AC out of your AIO, so that the AIO can be isolated and you still can power the critical load panel.

You do not want to feed into any panel that also has grid without a means of disconnecting it. You also can not supply your AIO's "AC in" by a panel that is being powered by the AIO's AC out. I am adding a simple diagram of a setup. Teh breaker listed in it would have to be changed for your AIO's specs.

View attachment 203710
Thanks for the drawing. I have everything just about set up now. I am getting to the sub panel now. When I look up transfer switch, I see a lot of really expensive things. I will try to look for some kind of generic switch. I may just hook up to a breaker and just leave it off. I don't know.

1711760368841.png

in the mean time, I am trying to figure out if this sub panel is split phase (it looks like it is) and if it is whether or not I could convert it to singlephase with a solid copper wire. What do you think?

1711760459527.png1711760469557.png

Yes, that panel is split phase, to convert it to all 120v you just add a jumper between the two lugs at the right end with the slotted screw terminals.

1711816873271.png1711816884492.png1711816892598.png

I intended to use this breaker switch as a means to be a turn off switch for output power from my AIO (and to connect it to the system). It is technically not the correct switch kind and I just realized that now. how big of an issue would it be to just connect it to the panel anyways? I feel like there would be a potential melting issue due to the bottom connector. Am I correct about that?

Wrong breaker for sub panel. Do not use.
ok. won't use then. error on my part then. all the other ones I have are correct though. it was hard finding an appropriate 30 amp breaker anyways.

I run a Transfer control panel of my own devise.

Attachments

• P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 8
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 8
I run a Transfer control panel of my own devise.
Ok. cool. 1711823857834.png

This is the display on my system. its not clear if the solar is inputting anything from it. maybe I should get a clamp and see whats happening, but im not sure why its not displaying here.

Back