diy solar

diy solar

Testing capacity of AA battery

bulrush

I'm trying to test the capacity of some AA lithium batteries that are charged from a micro-usb port. I have tested their capacity while charging, now I want to test their capacity from discharging and compare the results. I'm having a very hard time finding testers that willi go down to 1vdc or less. Most of the testers need a minimum voltage of 3.7vdc.

Does anyone have any Amazon or Ebay links for testers that will help me?

Note: their rated capacity is 1500mah, which sounds too high for an AA format where some of the volume is taken up by charging electronics. Hence my reason wanting to test them.

1. My budget is about $30usd.
  2. Supplying my own power to the tester itself from another power source is fine.
  3. I can wire a USB breakout board to an AA battery holder if I have to.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Can you link the batteries?
Yes I can put the batteries in a single AA holder and wire it to a tester if needed. The problem here is the range of voltage the tester will test. So I'd prefer a device that has 2 screw terminals (+ and -) for the battery.

There's a bunch of 18650 cell capacity testers out there. See if one of those can also take AA size?

Now that I've seen which cells you are using, you may be fooled by the fact that you are measuring the weedy little charger's capability to charge the internal cells. Ie, the internal cells may be capable of more capacity, but the internal charger might be very conservative to play it safe with the consumer.

Quite frankly, I ignore most Amazon reviews. Initially some were good, but most turn out to be rants to get free-replacements, competing vendors bashing on each other, "reviewers" just wanting to get free stuff, and the totally clueless pushing devices beyond their designed parameters. You get the picture.

Back