diy solar

diy solar

Thanks,Dad, For Teaching Me to DIY Stuff

My dad didnt teach me shit....... And I have the largest swath of skills of my immediate friends group past and present. Yeah, Im different. I know it.
Ditto.

My father is useless with his hands, his person and his mind. My least favorite person in the world.

But I did use him to learn a lot, by doing the opposite of him

Treat women well, don't beat them
Stay off drugs, instead of dealing them and being addicted
Take care of your responsibilities, instead of running from them and putting your kids on Welfare
Be honest, instead of constant lying and manipulation, stuff like that.

And I, like you, am probably the most diverse ability person in my circle.

It's hard to build a career out of being 'self taught'. I'm a self-taught embedded firmware developer who started messing with my dad's accounting computer back in about 1978. I was kicked out of university for reasons we won't delve into but the end result was I got my first industry job in 1986. It was a hard road consistently making less than my degree'd co-workers, some of whom I identified as high-functioning idiots (and of course, many who were awesome at their jobs); being passed up for promotions, getting the crap-tasks, etc. It wasn't until 2007 that I was recruited by a company who wasn't allowed to hire me as an employee because I didn't have a degree so they offered to hire me as a contractor. Suddenly I was being paid a lot, valued for my skills and what I brought to the table. I was also recruited by other companies and worked on some amazing products. Finally retired at 56. The big reward for me was mentoring a high school robotics team because I craved showing kids that they can conceive of ideas, come up with a design, and build it with their hands. I love the look on kids faces the first time they use a drill press to make a hole in some metal because their parents have no tools and pickup the phone to get things fixed around the house. Many of these kids go on to STEM type programs/roles because they now have a passion for that stuff.

[self agrandizing rant over]
Yep, I am in tech and have been for 30 years. Started as a bench tech and am now a CIO, and have been C level for 15 years. I have no degree, so I can't even get an interview, because I must not know anything, despite all my accomplishments, 95% long term employee retention rate, revenue generating solutions, etc.

I was really lucky that my dad was in Electronics and knew a lot of technical stuff. Including radio and music and photography that he taught me.

I owe most of my interest and skills to him. But there were other mentors along the way, too.

We all need mentors to help us complete our skills I believe. It is still hard work and have to have a passion for what we do.
boB

Yep, I am in tech and have been for 30 years. Started as a bench tech and am now a CIO, and have been C level for 15 years. I have no degree, so I can't even get an interview, because I must not know anything, despite all my accomplishments, 95% long term employee retention rate, revenue generating solutions, etc.
I am glad I am out of the work world. They seem to expect a minimum of a college degree to flip hamburgers now. The days of self taught are pretty much over if you want a career in any field. It is not enough to demonstrate competence you must have that diploma or they will not consider you.

This poor schmo had been charged $1700 to yank out and replace a plain Jane, no frills, $600-with-no-discount basic 50-gallon electric hot water heater, by a local plumber.

I can beat that. Some plumbing business in CA wanted to charge my Mom $13,000 to replace 2 * 50 gallon gas water heaters. While 87 years old, luckily she is not senile. To me, $1700 each sounds like a bargain. She ended up paying $1300 just to have the pilot light assembly replaced in one of the units replaced. I told her that was more than the cost of an entire new water heater. There are clearly businesses out there taking advantage of of elderly people.

My dad was not mechanical, so I am really self taught as far as that goes. Give me a YouTube video and a hammer, and I can fix damn near anything.

OK, may be a dumb question. I have a large slab I need to construct for my Garage/workshop. Is it worth mixing your own concrete versus having a trucks come in for the pour? Does it save much money?
Call redi-mix company and get the per/yard price. Mixing bags in a barrel mixer is very time consuming. You can generally save money from redi-mix delivery, but they won't deliver less than a truck load, 8-12 yards. 8 yards is a lot of concrete.

Yes, people are that silly. Usualy the result of not having a father figure in the house. Single moms usually call a plumber or sparky to fix things and sons don't learn a thing.
I learned from every person that has ever fixed anything in any house I've been around. 99% of those guys you call are willing to teach you as they're doing it.
My dad didnt teach me shit....... And I have the largest swath of skills of my immediate friends group past and present. Yeah, Im different. I know it.
yep sounds about right

I learned from every person that has ever fixed anything in any house I've been around. 99% of those guys you call are willing to teach you as they're doing it.
This. My in-laws own a plumbing business that we are actually in the process of taking over, and finding a young (under 35) plumber is damn hard. If any of these businesses want to stay open, you better try and teach (or atleast get interested) anyone who wants to learn!

OK, may be a dumb question. I have a large slab I need to construct for my Garage/workshop. Is it worth mixing your own concrete versus having a trucks come in for the pour? Does it save much money?
It's worth it to even remove trees and fences to get a truck access. Trucks vs bags are like DIY batteries vs prebuilt. It gets cheaper the more you get
You can get pumps and hoses to bring it back in tight places too

That's 27,000 lbs for 8 yards without accounting for the water. I guess that explains why concrete trucks are big.
I think some go north of 12 yards, though 8-10 or so is the standard. Max gross weight for a normal transfer truck is 80,000 lbs! There are also the 4 hopper trucks that mix on site than can deliver smaller loads without killing you price wise.

My dad was a construction worker. He could do anything in a house except he would call an electrician. When I went to do my Schneider build, I could not understand why I was triggered so much. My dad would always say, "One mistake (doing your own electrical) and the cost is too much." I had to get over that. As a girl, I was always irritated that I had to help vs hanging out with my friends, but when I became an adult, it sure came in handy not having to hire someone. My shop teacher could not believe I scored 100 on the tool test the first day of class. He said I must have cheated. I told him he didn't know my dad and you made the mistake ONCE but you definitely learned what the tool was he wanted!
Men- teach your daughters. MAKE them learn and help. You don't want them having to depend on some boyfriend/husband who can't do these things or having to hire out and get taken advantage of if they are single.

I think some go north of 12 yards, though 8-10 or so is the standard. Max gross weight for a normal transfer truck is 80,000 lbs! There are also the 4 hopper trucks that mix on site than can deliver smaller loads without killing you price wise.
yea most places in USA at least will limit it at somewhere between 8-10 because of the weight. They can physically hold 12 but I've never seen it done

I can beat that. Some plumbing business in CA wanted to charge my Mom $13,000 to replace 2 * 50 gallon gas water heaters. While 87 years old, luckily she is not senile. To me, $1700 each sounds like a bargain. She ended up paying $1300 just to have the pilot light assembly replaced in one of the units replaced. I told her that was more than the cost of an entire new water heater. There are clearly businesses out there taking advantage of of elderly people.

My dad was not mechanical, so I am really self taught as far as that goes. Give me a YouTube video and a hammer, and I can fix damn near anything.
You might want to call your local or county law enforcement.
There are special laws for elder abuse and they can include elderly being taken advantage of by businesses.

I had a buddy who's parents were taken advantage of. A police detective was happy to persue it and the contractor ended up being convicted and looking his license.
Apparently the scumbag scammed a lot of eldery.

Amazing thread! I am a self-taught, as mum left my father when I was 2. Coming from poor family, using imagination to survive every day.
There was something in me, to discover, disassembly, destroy... many things went wrong, but as a person with a spectrum, I am not able to make a 90 deg angle or a straight cut. People with OCD are sick with me, as don't have pressure to have everything aligned to the level, as long as it works.

What I learned, is not to give up. Try and learn from mistakes, then plan and re-do.

My dad was a construction worker. He could do anything in a house except he would call an electrician. When I went to do my Schneider build, I could not understand why I was triggered so much. My dad would always say, "One mistake (doing your own electrical) and the cost is too much." I had to get over that. As a girl, I was always irritated that I had to help vs hanging out with my friends, but when I became an adult, it sure came in handy not having to hire someone. My shop teacher could not believe I scored 100 on the tool test the first day of class. He said I must have cheated. I told him he didn't know my dad and you made the mistake ONCE but you definitely learned what the tool was he wanted!
Men- teach your daughters. MAKE them learn and help. You don't want them having to depend on some boyfriend/husband who can't do these things or having to hire out and get taken advantage of if they are single.
I got my daughter at around an age of 12 to start helping me "outside". Before that she got interested in snowmobiles which is a huge hobby of mine too. Both things brought us together much closer as we had a bond.

I tried to teach her everything I could so she would not have to pay or rely on others. When she was 15 she worked summers with me in my electrical business. That continued till she went to college. She continued to work for me as much as she could and also worked at a daycare with small kids to pay her way through 4 years of college almost all on her own.

She helped me install my getting close to 70kw solar system. She is now married, lives across the country but still comes home to help her dad put up more solar, in fact she is here now as we start a 13kw expansion of my system. And she still comes home to get at least a little snowmobiling in with me.

Back