diy solar

diy solar

Thanks to Will

Popuptoaster

I would like to say thank you to Will, I watched a good number of his YT videos and learned enough to add solar to my boat. I live aboard and while I only have 500W of panels and one 24v LiPo4 battery I think I now have a good basis from which to slowly add more capacity as funds allow. I have added a photo of what I built, it is in and working although not quite finished here but I needed to get the lights on before dark!

I am happy with it although I have a small issue with the display and I would like to add the ability to dump excess power into a water heater once I work out how!
Anyway, once again a big thanks to Will for his clear and honest videos and reviews I could never have afforded to pay someone to put in a system, I will hopefully tidy and improve my gear over time.

?2020-05-15 18.57.19.jpg2020-05-16 16.41.48.jpg

Are you happy with the Moeshouse ATS, top left?

It's only been in for a week and the battery hasn't got low enough for it to switch over yet so I can't say much more than that it worked when I messed with the settings to test it, it feels OK, it's quite heavy and it makes a nice solid "clonk" noise when it switches between sources.

I got reminded today, I don't like the Victron CC, it ALWAYS gives me problems when it requires an update, it connects to a phone ap via Bluetooth and it always takes multiple attempts to get the update to take, you can't access it unless you update it as the phone ap goes straight to the update (if there is one waiting) when you open it and once you've made one attempt which invariably fails that's the controller not working any more until you can get an update to stick.

Just took me over an hour to get it done again this time, it keeps dropping the BT connection, I'd rather have one with a dispaly and buttons on it or at the least a wired connection to a computer or control unit.

I will change this out when I can afford it.

Are you happy with the Moeshouse ATS, top left?

Just a quick update, unit had been performing perfectly until last night, woke up this morning with no power and a 24v battery at 18v (grey day yesterday and i was using power tools and charging batteries). For some reason the ATS had decided it was on a 12v system and was waiting for 11v to switch over to shore power.

I unplugged the sensor lead and plugged it back in and it went back to 24v like it should be.

I did add some new wiring and a fan yesterday but I didn't unplug the battery or the ATS, just add the new wires and a fuse to the distribution board so it shouldn't have effected it, I will keep an eye on it.

How is the Moes ATS working now over the long haul? It sounds like something I would be interested in.

On a separate battery/inverter setup, i have an automatic transfer switch set up so that the grid power keeps the relay actuated, connecting itself to the output. When the grid goes down, the normally closed side connectes the inverter power to the output. The ATS has a timer in it so that if the grid starts bouncing on and off or browning, it has a designated time of steady grid before it will connect grid to the output agaiin.

I think I might like to use this Moes ATS for my solar, so that when the grid goes down, it will connect my solar to the 120v house circuits. Any thoughts?

Back