diy solar

diy solar

The AC>DC converter in my 32' RV just stopped working and I need to replace it with something capable of adding solar to the mix in the near future...

Badgermonkey

Max energy use (if I could manage 44kWh I'd be okay):Energy Use.png
My old panel is a Series 7300 Power Plus Control:
DC Distribution panel.jpg
RV DC Panel.jpg
RV Breaker Panel.jpg

With the AC breakers on and shore power AC stuff works, with jumper cables connected to the battery the DC stuff works (no blown fuses), shore power isn't converting to DC and the battery isn't charging. I've been studying up on this stuff for a while but this isn't how I planned to get into it and have no idea what I need to get to replace this thing and allow me to add enough solar and batteries to meet all my electric needs (~50kWh per day) in the near future.

I was thinking this: https://store.santansolar.com/product/santan-solar-t-series-240w-cracked-vinyl-solar-panel-lot20/
And 5 of these are exactly 44kWh:
1649102387037.png
Each bank of 5 consists of 19 cells (25 Ah) each (95 total and 8.8 kWh). Battery voltage is 351.5 V (95 times 3.7 V - But how do I make that into 12v?

Attachments

• Electric Use.png
    Electric Use.png
    53 KB · Views: 3
That looks like a battery pack out of an electric vehicle.
Those are usually one of the "explody" lithium chemistries.
I urge you to look at LFP=Lithium Iron Phosphate.
Its a much safer option.

I installed one of these and i was VERY happy it was nearly a wire for wire swap, all the same form factor too.

Installing solar panels to solar charge controller to battery(s) as a separate system is pretty easy too.

Definitely. There are several drop in solutions like Battleborn, SOK and Chins. Making a battery from cells is a significant, many months learning process.

shore power isn't converting to DC and the battery isn't charging.
Sounds like when my old Schumacher battery charger died. 30 years ago I looked at the biggest heat sink and replaced a couple blown $1 diodes. Still works like new (crappy).

Last edited:
That looks like a battery pack out of an electric vehicle.
Those are usually one of the "explody" lithium chemistries.
Its a much safer option.
The Toyota Prius Prime uses five lithium-ion battery stacks.
I gave too much information, the question is, "what AC>DC converter should I get now that will let me do something like that later?".

The Toyota Prius Prime uses five lithium-ion battery stacks.
Not sure why five is significant.
Those batteries are susceptible to thermal runaway.
That means venting with fire.
I gave too much information, the question is, "what AC>DC converter should I get now that will let me do something like that later?".
Suggest you get an inverter/charger instead.

An inverter/charger is an inverter, ac2dc charger and automatic transfer switch.
The AC/DC converters all kind of suck and won't likely be anywhere near flexible enough to charge those Prius cells.

Battery voltage is 351.5 V (95 times 3.7 V - But how do I make that into 12v?
Stretching the envelope is admirable but dangerous. If you ever plan to sell, buyers won't appreciate your cleverness. Insurance will tell you to get lost. Specially if you have a claim.

Agreeing with smoothJoey in that RV inverter chargers barely (and rarely) handle LiFePO4 batteries in a suitable manner. I am running my pre-lithium PD4645 because the new lithium aware equivalent holds the voltage at 14.6V which is too high. I am not aware of anything that could come close to properly handling Prius batteries. And being the explody type rules out even considering them.

Quite a bit of my solar charging is done with a separate Victron 100/30 SCC tucked into my battery compartment under my Sprinter Winnie View steps. Gained a little room by quadrupling my storage from 2x Group (27?) batteries to 8x 3.2V 206Ah cells.

I installed one of these and i was VERY happy it was nearly a wire for wire swap, all the same form factor too.

Installing solar panels to solar charge controller to battery(s) as a separate system is pretty easy too.

Definitely. There are several drop in solutions like Battleborn, SOK and Chins. Making a battery from cells is a significant, many months learning process.
Battleborn=100Ah for $1000, this is 220Ah for $975.
Need a replacement converter is all.

https://www.bestconverter.com/PD4635V-35-Amp-Converter-Upgrade

Parallax is a bit obsolete.

Solar goes direct to the battery through a separate controller.
Looking into that now.

Stretching the envelope is admirable but dangerous. If you ever plan to sell, buyers won't appreciate your cleverness. Insurance will tell you to get lost. Specially if you have a claim.
Call me Badger "Danger" Monkey... There will be no selling this, it's been modded up enough and I only paid $5000 for it to start with, it was like new though.

Sounds like when my old Schumacher battery charger died. 30 years ago I looked at the biggest heat sink and replaced a couple blown $1 diodes. Still works like new (crappy).
I have a hot air rework/component level board repair station, may as well look into that too!My desktop.jpg

Attachments

• S20210719_0009.jpg
    S20210719_0009.jpg
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 6
  • S20210713_0004.jpg
    S20210713_0004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Sometimes the shortest route to a solution of a problem IS the correct route to take.

I’d dump the converter- you would need to reverse-engineer the wiring in that salvage battery anyways, and likely not ever find a manufactured product to charge them without emulating the redesigned lower-voltage battery.

The SOKs are reasonably priced and should be able to achieve your Ah requirements fine.

Last edited:
Back