diy solar

diy solar

The best lithium battery

Solar. Enthusiast

I am in the process of designing 16S LiFePO4 pack.
What do you recommend to have in this battery pack.
What would make the best lithium battery pack.

When people ask for the "best", they rarely mean the best. They mean the best for a low price, so I'll assume that's what you mean. After a lot of research I built my batteries using Eve cells, 304 ah and the 280k long life cells, 32 of each. They're working fantastic and the price was reasonable from Docan, with quick delivery and top quality. Other people make different choices, but it worked for me.

There is no best battery pack. It only depends on your budget. If you mean the brand of the battery, EVE and Lishen are good, and they are also the batteries used by many people in the forum. If you need something better, CATL and CALB can also be considered. Of course, it depends on your wallet. In addition, you should also need to choose the busbar (or your business has already selected it for you), BMS (to ensure the safety of the battery, prevent overcharge and over-discharge), balancer (long-term stable balance charge), and charger (no need to explain Bar). A more practical battery pack should include these.

I put 16 280 ah cells in my Rv, and they barely fit in the space they had. I have more than enough power, and i probably could have went with 230 ah cells for a much easier construcion.

Watt hour requirement, size constraints and weight constraints are real.

I just recomend you get your cells from a reputable dealer. Someone says toucan has various cells in a warehouse in the states. Not who I bought them from, but worth looking into.

When people ask for the "best", they rarely mean the best. They mean the best for a low price, so I'll assume that's what you mean. After a lot of research I built my batteries using Eve cells, 304 ah and the 280k long life cells, 32 of each. They're working fantastic and the price was reasonable from Docan, with quick delivery and top quality. Other people make different choices, but it worked for me.
Definitely ! what i mean is what are the best cells (Like matched and batched cells, by the way do you have any numbers for matching like what should be the tolerance between cells ),
BMS for the selected cells (brand and model recommendation),
Communication port with inverter and of course with parallel battery packs if more than one are connected,
Active or passive balancer(if you think it is a real added value for the price)
Maybe Built in Fuse and C.B ?
There is no best battery pack. It only depends on your budget. If you mean the brand of the battery, EVE and Lishen are good, and they are also the batteries used by many people in the forum. If you need something better, CATL and CALB can also be considered. Of course, it depends on your wallet. In addition, you should also need to choose the busbar (or your business has already selected it for you), BMS (to ensure the safety of the battery, prevent overcharge and over-discharge), balancer (long-term stable balance charge), and charger (no need to explain Bar). A more practical battery pack should include these.
I put 16 280 ah cells in my Rv, and they barely fit in the space they had. I have more than enough power, and i probably could have went with 230 ah cells for a much easier construcion.

Watt hour requirement, size constraints and weight constraints are real.

I just recomend you get your cells from a reputable dealer. Someone says toucan has various cells in a warehouse in the states. Not who I bought them from, but worth looking into.
I am considering 230 AH cells for EVE

You know, in the beginning I also cared a lot about this. Trying to make the 'best' pack. Nowadays I don't: take the cells, top balance if needed (or actually just put a JK BMS on it with active balancing), put them in a case, and put them to work. This even works with 'grade B' cells that don't pull full capacity. Granted, having matched and batched cells are nice, but in the end in solar applications where you have relatively low currents, and the battery sits full often, it's not that big a deal. I'll probably get some non-matched cells from Luyuan or some other vendor for my next 32 cells. If you need more capacity, just add more batteries - easier than trying to get the absolute max out of a battery.

You know, in the beginning I also cared a lot about this. Trying to make the 'best' pack. Nowadays I don't: take the cells, top balance if needed (or actually just put a JK BMS on it with active balancing), put them in a case, and put them to work. This even works with 'grade B' cells that don't pull full capacity. Granted, having matched and batched cells are nice, but in the end in solar applications where you have relatively low currents, and the battery sits full often, it's not that big a deal. I'll probably get some non-matched cells from Luyuan or some other vendor for my next 32 cells. If you need more capacity, just add more batteries - easier than trying to get the absolute max out of a battery.
from your experience JK BMS with active balancer (2A or 4A balancing?) 0.5C BMS ?

I am in the process of designing 16S LiFePO4 pack.
What do you recommend to have in this battery pack.
What would make the best lithium battery pack.
Where are you going to use them? 16pcs can make 12V, 24V, 48V systems. If you consider using 230Ah, it is recommended that you build it into 24V 460Ah.

I was thinking of getting something like seplos bms so i can benefit from communication between bms and inverter, but i found out that there is several versions with different communication protocol for different inverters, which make this feature useless if one day for some reason i changed the inverter to a different brand.

I am now confused between JK with active balancing two in one BMS or JBD/ Daly BMS with separate active balancer. What do you think?

Well from all I've read I'd avoid Daly. They're easy to get, but seem like crap compared to other offerings.

I considered JK, but ended up with JBD due to getting it with a higher current rating DC contactor to account for a worst case scenario (I don't expect to happen but hey...). I went with EVE230 cells because at the time, they were the cheapest per Ah, and I went with 32 cells. The price on them have gone up recently so I don't know if that's still the case or not.

the 280 would have been nice to have but I was trying to not burn every last dollar I had in my crazy venture.

Back