diy solar

diy solar

The "Meg" Build

the motor is part of the valve body

Not sure your point?

You replace the hydro pump with a 48V unit. That pumps the fluid. You either use the factory valve body with port taps to the new pump, or you buy a separate valve body. The option depends on what's already installed.

Uh oh. Getting an error F09 from the LV6548. Checked the manual and it says "bus soft start failed" and the fix is to return it to a repair facility...

So far all I've tried is to reset it, and to disconnect battery power and disconnect grid power for 10 min and turn it back on. Still throwing F09.

Uh oh. Getting an error F09 from the LV6548. Checked the manual and it says "bus soft start failed" and the fix is to return it to a repair facility...

So far all I've tried is to reset it, and to disconnect battery power and disconnect grid power for 10 min and turn it back on. Still throwing F09.

Do you smell electrical burning smells in the compartment?

Failure is odd as following your thread you have yet to really get it loaded up close to 100%

Do you smell electrical burning smells in the compartment?

Failure is odd as following your thread you have yet to really get it loaded up close to 100%
No electrical smells, but I was testing the AC charging system, charging at 100a (is rated for 120a) and it threw a F02 for over temp. Then a few minutes later the F02 cleared and it threw F09.

I have been loading it pretty heavily with the 3 ACs while also making dinner in the air fryer. I even accidentally started the microwave to warm up one of the kids food and it threw an overcurrent fault with everything on at once. But it is damn impressive how much power the LV can output. But even with everything on, i have only "overloaded" it once. Everything else has been well within the parameters of what the advertised capabilities are.

Good news. I was able to disconnect the all power (Grid, PV and battery) and i turned them back on one at a time. First PV only, and it worked great. I even ran 2 ACs on solar power alone! It has enough surge to simultaneously run 1 AC, while it starts another one! Incredible!

Then I flipped on The grid ac input, and all is still well. Im guessing it's something wrong with the battery side.

A side note, I can't connect to the BMS in my battery, I hope that's not my problem... but im going to pull the lid off the battery and check it out

Good news. I was able to disconnect the all power (Grid, PV and battery) and i turned them back on one at a time. First PV only, and it worked great. I even ran 2 ACs on solar power alone! It has enough surge to simultaneously run 1 AC, while it starts another one! Incredible!

Then I flipped on The grid ac input, and all is still well. Im guessing it's something wrong with the battery side.

A side note, I can't connect to the BMS in my battery, I hope that's not my problem... but im going to pull the lid off the battery and check it out
did you take a voltage reading of your battery

Confirmed its not the battery, I pulled the lid off the case and just found the BMS in sleep mode (because it has been inactive for 24 hours or so now). So I plugged in the lightboard and turned it back on. Then used a precharge resistor for about 5 seconds (which I guess wasn't long enough because there was a little spark, but not much, but this also confirmed the battery is working and has amperage behind it). Then the LV6548 threw the F09 code again. Not a battery problem.

So we'll see what the manufacture comes back with. Hopefully something soon.

Unfortunately no, I wish it was that easy. That is the battery input and it has a polished finish. It is just the reflection of the fan directly above it.

I can't see any damage/burnt parts inside, but im not entirely comfortable getting into it any further. I've already pulled a connector off one of the PCB boards and am unsure if I broke it or not, but it slid back over the pins sticking out.

I think I'm going to just request a replacement and wait the 2-3 weeks for Ian to get some in stock... Ian did offer to replace it with any model that he does have in stock, such as the large 6kw or 12kw Low Freq. Growatt inverter, or the 2x 3kw Growatt inverters, but I feel like I'm too attached to the LV6548 lol.

Back to the hydraulic pump, what if I found a 110v pump that I could just run off the inverter? I keep looking for a 48v pump and its tough to find one, but 110v models are everywhere. How do I find out what psi/gpm i need?

Sold the Onan 5500 generator to a friend who just bought a 5th wheel and didn't know it didn't come with a generator. Win win for both of us, so im gonna try and pull it out tomorrow and make more room in that compartment for the inverter.

Reactions: Mia
I'm starting to think... I have 36 panels total (12 on the roof, 12 on the ground, and 12 im not using). And I'm wondering if I can somehow wire in more of these panels to get full usage of this LV6548. I have a max 8000 watt input, and I rarely see over 4000 watts and have never seen over 4200 watts.

How can I do this safely?

Edit: im doing the math now, my current array is 205VOC (measure with a multimeter), which means each panel is 34.16v, and 7 panels would be 239v, which is less than 250v max. I know it's dangerous to get close to that limit, but its doing nothing but getting hotter here, and soon we will be seeing 80-85* at 3 am. It gets very hot here, so I think I'll be safe until later in the year.

Also, I see im never pulling more than 14-14.5amps continously, and after talking with Ian, these units can safely be overpanneled to 23a (instead of the advertised 18a max). Well, 14.5a/2 (because of the 2 parallel strings = 7.25a each string, and 7.25x3 = 21.75a.

So with this little math I've done, I have proved i can safely hook up a 7s3p system and use 21 of the 24 panels total? To check my math and also not go over the 4000watt limit per PV input, 21 panels x 166 watts (which is what I'm currently averaging per panel) = 3486 watts. So as long as I don't get over 190 watts per panel (which so far has been unattainable), then im good.
I just watched a solar panel review by a guy who installs them. He rates Sunpower as the best panel over LG, Tesla, and Panasonic.

I just watched a solar panel review by a guy who installs them. He rates Sunpower as the best panel over LG, Tesla, and Panasonic.

The local installer guy around here says Tesla are by far the best as a nicely engineered solution. After that he says LG, Panasonic are really good and he considers them tier-2. Then the next level is REC alone in tier-3. Everything else is a step down from that point.

For REC he said you need to spend to get the high power versions as not only are they more efficient but also put together with more care and attention.

Also he says doesn't matter the vendor - test EVERY panel before it gets to the roof as they all have plenty of DOA's and they tend to come in batches.

The local installer guy around here says Tesla are by far the best as a nicely engineered solution. After that he says LG, Panasonic are really good and he considers them tier-2. Then the next level is REC alone in tier-3. Everything else is a step down from that point.

For REC he said you need to spend to get the high power versions as not only are they more efficient but also put together with more care and attention.

Also he says doesn't matter the vendor - test EVERY panel before it gets to the roof as they all have plenty of DOA's and they tend to come in batches.
Good tip. Thanks. I heard Tesla uses Panasonic and Qcell. Is that not correct?

Generator is out. So much more space. Now to start some cleanup and im thinking about laser cutting/forming a pan to fill in/reinforce the whole floor. Going to install 2x LV6548's and my battery(s). In this compartment now.
20210531_202444.jpg

I'm also going to get rid of the rotary changeover switch that I used to bypass the inverter to go from grid straight to the breaker panel. Now that I dont have the generator, I have a 50a transfer switch that isn't going to be used anymore. So im going to wire it to get power from the inverter first, and if it goes down, to switch over to the grid. This will be nice for when I'm doing work to the inverter, if I turn it off, it will automatically switch over to the grid, and when I'm done, I power up the inverter and it will automatically switch back to inverter power. Should be pretty sweet.

I also am debating on getting a large DC to DC converter (150 amps from Daygreen should power everything, including the leveling system) with the money from the generator sale. This will allow me to remove the 2x Battleborn Batteries, and my Progressive Dynamics lithium converter.

Big plans, hopefully it all works out. Anybody got any more recommendations? Maybe leave room for a mini split ODU? ?

Back