diy solar

diy solar

The Real Reason LA port is backed up

I think these are containers that have been delivered, emptied, and returned to the dock empty. Waiting for the ship to pick them up clogging the port logistics from unloading and moving the full containers. I read plenty of trucks except they are unable to off load the empties for return due to no space to stack more empty containers.

The port is so full of empties the trucks are off loading in residential neighborhoods.

This is contrary to the OP assertation that it is the "Green New Deal" clogging the ports. Not a trucking issue. Not an emissions issue.
Thats the same thing that I am getting from all of these confusing newscasts and articles. It's empty containers littering one part of the docks all the way out to the streets and also full ones sitting on the docks that cannot be picked up fast enough.

When did empty shelves in stores start to be in the news ? It was slow before; now it's stopped.
Not stopped at all. Just that it now takes 10+ days to get in and get unloaded. More ships are showing up faster with more containers than ever before. Record volumes last year and this year.

And unions.
Nothing wrong with unions.. the problems are rooted in the laws that protect them.

And yeah, the union isn't going to be a positive force in a situation like this.

More and more truckers are avoiding California :​

-------------

California’s New 2020 Law Limits Registration Of Older Diesel Trucks​

If your California business relies on an older model diesel truck, you may be in for a nasty surprise when the time comes to renew your vehicle’s registration. In an effort to meet emissions regulations, a new 2020 law limits the registration of some older diesel trucks in California, deeming them unroadworthy. Could you soon be forced to replace your work truck?

All Commercial Trucks Must Meet New Emissions Standards by 2023​

As early as this year, San Jose, Santa Cruz, Gilroy, Sunnyvale, Fremont, and Mountain View area business owners operating diesel-fueled trucks may discover their older trucks are illegal to drive on California roadways. If you own a commercial vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 14,001-26,000 pounds and it doesn’t meet new emissions standards, you will no longer be able to renew your registration. Commercial diesel trucks are being phased out by model year. The older your vehicle, the sooner you’ll need to purchase a new commercial truck, as of:

• January 1, 2020:
    Vehicle model years 2004 and older.
  • January 1, 2021:
    Vehicle model years 2005-2007.
  • January 1, 2023:
    Vehicle model years 2008-2010

And unions
in the fifties and sixties we had a number of union strikes on the entire west coast. The only union issue I have heard about lately is some resistance to clerical automation. Are there bigger issues I am not aware of? One account said the average Lonshoreman makes $95,000 a year. I don't know if that number includes crane operators who reportedly make in excess of $200,000.

Last edited:
More and more truckers are avoiding California :
Last I heard it was a trailer problem that was the key bottleneck. Clean air is not something I want to compromise on. As mentioned before, I grew up in LA. in the fifties and sixties when smog was so bad your eyes stung.

So now it has come full circle that the thread is just about the cost of cleaning the exhaust. Nothing to do with the ports.

Enjoy it while you can. I assume within 20 years of the first EV truck the diesels days will be numbered.

So now it has come full circle that the thread is just about the cost of cleaning the exhaust. Nothing to do with the ports.

Enjoy it while you can. I assume within 20 years of the first EV truck the diesels days will be numbered.
What non-engineers don't understand is it may cost $5000 to clean something up 99%,
but that last 1% may cost you a million bucks.

Trying to convince an environmentalist that costs matter is futile.
They will wreck and destroy an economy for almost ZERO benefit just to get that last .05% benefit that is practically meaningless.

Banning old trucks will not do anything noticeable for the air but it will damage our economy substantially.

Last I heard it was a trailer problem that was the key bottleneck. Clean air is not something I want to compromise on. As mentioned before, I grew up in LA. in the fifties and sixties when smog was so bad your eyes stung.

You don't want to compromise on clean air.. but for those who live in Texas, or any other oil state, or any other similarly politically orientated state or area, they don't give a hoot about you breathing clean air.... there's a shipping problem in California and they're perfectly happy poisoning you and your family so long as they get their cheap imported merchandise.

What non-engineers don't understand is it may cost $5000 to clean something up 99%,
but that last 1% may cost you a million bucks.

Trying to convince an environmentalist that costs matter is futile.
They will wreck and destroy an economy for almost ZERO benefit just to get that last .05% benefit that is practically meaningless.

Banning old trucks will not do anything noticeable for the air but it will damage our economy substantially.

That's not even remotely close to what's going on..

I'm in Michigan in the rural countryside and we don't have any smog.. But that didn't stop me from being caught behind one of those old trucks belching out black smoke and wishing I had a Browning 50 mounted to my roof... I had to breath that crap for 5 miles..

Banning old trucks is a good start....

Besides, why would you even care? If you buy American and stay away from the imported garbage, you don't have to worry about it. China is a problem, lets stop supporting the problem..

One other perspective: They said all the solar panels would wreck the economy too.. instead, it ended up putting tens of thousands of people to work.. They said electric cars would be stuck on the roads and clogging up the freeways when they ran out of juice.. that didn't happen either, and they put tens of thousands of people to work..

"They" say lots of things.. its mostly the Koch Brothers propaganda machine at work..

And using greed (the economy) to justify a position is never a good idea. Although to be honest, with the degradation of morality in the USA these days, I can understand why such comments seem to go over well.

So the new trucks are going to be a million now? Preorder your Tesla Semi for just $200,000 and get a jump on the competition.

This is the beginning of the end for diesel. RIP.

So the new trucks are going to be a million now? Preorder your Tesla Semi for just $200,000 and get a jump on the competition.

This is the beginning of the end for diesel. RIP.
I don't think we're quite ready to end the diesels quite yet.. going to be another two decades before battery tech comes far enough along.

But I understand California's desire to get the black smoke belching trucks off the road.

You don't want to compromise on clean air.. but for those who live in Texas, or any other oil state, or any other similarly politically orientated state or area, they don't give a hoot about you breathing clean air
And I don't think that will change. And I don't care what my friends in Texas give a hoot about. CARB is not likely to back down because they know the problem is not just a truck issue.

Back