diy solar

diy solar

The Real Reason LA port is backed up

Like I said, environmentalists have no logic. If requiring lower emissions on trucks didn't stop the economy,
of course it's not a bad idea (unless there were other bad consequences).
Everything is a compromise, unless you are an environmentalist, then you feel entitled to pass rules and never
listen to the feedback from the "little people" you are ruling over.

High unemployment and skyrocketing costs are things that get politicians kicked out of office.
I posted the chart showing how far we have come and your response ? Shut down the economy !
We need cleaner and cleaner air ! Who cares if we have jobs !
We have the cleanest country in the world and not one of you young people are grateful for what has been done.

2020_baby_graphic_1980-2020.png

The 6 common pollutants are CO, lead, nitrogen dioxide, sulphur dioxide, ozone and particulates.
your logic seems based purely egocentric, without regard to much of anything ; hence there in lies most of the issues we face today

Last edited:
Just an idea, but if Americans purchased American-made products wouldn't it help with the shipping problem? As I understand it from that BBC article, a lot of the issue right now is seasonal in that products are coming in to meet the expected demands for the black friday/Christmas sales.
Not necessarily only American I guess... stuff from Canada, Mexico, England, France, Germany etc. would probably all help.

Reactions: Mia
Just an idea, but if Americans purchased American-made products wouldn't it help with the shipping problem? As I understand it from that BBC article, a lot of the issue right now is seasonal in that products are coming in to meet the expected demands for the black friday/Christmas sales.
Not necessarily only American I guess... stuff from Canada, Mexico, England, France, Germany etc. would probably all help.
Agreed!

All I know is other posters in this thread have verified that it's extremely tough to have a trucking business in California.
People are leaving the state in droves because it's so anti-business.
I wish more people would leave California.

here is a nice twitter thread from a few days ago.
That explanation about the. bottleneck seems plausible. At least his analysis says it is a lack of available carriers (trailers) that is causing the throughput issue. That in turn is caused by lack of storage for empties which has tied up the trailers.
Does anybody else interpret it that way?

California Drove Truckers Out of Business. Now Store Shelves Are Empty​

Two years ago, Governor Newsom signed the Democrat supermajority's Assembly Bill 5 into law. While AB5 was billed as a crackdown on Uber and Lyft, forcing the companies to treat l freelance contractors as employees, the gig economy companies pushed Proposition 22 so that they were the only ones exempt from the law. (A Democrat judge has since illegally blocked the approved ballot measure while falsely claiming that it was unconstitutional.)

AB5 however was less about Uber than it was about outlawing freelance employees in order to force them into unions. The union power grab inconvenienced Uber and Lyft, but crushed freelance workers in a variety of fields including journalism. One of the fields was trucking.

Over the summer, the California Trucking Association actually went to the Supreme Court to fight AB5 and allow owners and operators to use independent contractors. The CTA listed 70,000 owner operators. In the years since AB5, Ubers have become scarcer and more expensive, which is what the law was actually designed to do, but the consequences to the trucking industry have been far worse albeit invisible to most people until now. While truckers are still protected from AB5, many in the industry are not willing to bet their future on SCOTUS.

AB5 was not only the assault on the trucking industry by California Democrats who were aggressively trying to unionize the industry and to impose environmental regulations on it.

Last year, the California Air Resources Board issued a press release boasting that it had taken a "bold step to reduce truck pollution". The bold step required switching to electric trucks.

"We are showing the world that we can move goods, grow our economy and finally dump dirty diesel," Jared Blumenfeld, California’s Secretary for Environmental Protection, sneered.

Jared and California certainly showed the world something.

While the ultimate truck ban was scheduled for 2045, an initial phase-in of 5% to 9% begins in 2024. Last year, California's DMV began refusing to register thousands of trucks with an estimated 100,000 trucks under threat. With "green" trucks costing $70,000 more, this was a non-starter for already troubled independent owner-operators and even larger companies.

That was part of the plan.

California Democrats and their environmentalist special interests had set out to crush the state’s ports and trucking industry. Had everything gone as planned, this would have been a slow and gradual process. Costs would have crept up and deliveries would have fallen off without an immediate catastrophic impact. But then the pandemic and its consequences arrived.

Business at California’s ports dropped during the pandemic. The loss of traffic convinced trucking companies and owner operators who were already battered by AB5 and the green truck ban that it was better to just downsize or pull out entirely. And when port activity rebounded, there was a huge hole in the delivery infrastructure that backed up the entire system.

Biden called for ports to operate around the clock, but that’s not going to magically bring back thousands of trucks or truckers. California Democrats still haven’t changed their regulations and without that, there’s no incentive or even legal structure that would allow trucks to operate.

The resulting disaster is likely to accelerate the ongoing shift of shipping from California ports. Democrats imposed their green shakedown not only on truckers, but on shipping. With companies moving to Texas, Houston was already becoming a more appealing alternative. It’s now at capacity as everyone is looking for alternatives to the California economic disaster area.

But much of our imports and exports still depend on the California bottleneck that begins with Communist China and ends in Communist California. The red-to-red pipeline has savaged our economy and wrecked imports and exports. Newsom’s survival and the Dem legislative supermajority which passes more extreme leftist regulations every session means that things will only get worse. A radical party that actively seeks to dismantle the economy is in power in Sacramento and its regulations have the ability to hold our entire economy hostage.

What happens in California unfortunately doesn’t stay there unless it’s waiting on a ship.

..... Even the industries they are supposedly trying to support are getting fed up an leaving .... Tesla as one of the biggest examples.

It's not that they are trying to escape liberalism .... or they wouldn't have chosen Austin. It is the crazy policies in California that are slowly ruining a great state. They can't even figure out how to manage their forests to prevent these fires that release more CO2 than all the glider trucks in the country for 100 years.
It is a lot easier to pass a stupid law than it is to enact forest management practices that would be a LOT more effective .... which if done properly would also stop the the mud slides that inevitably follow the fires.

I have a relative who is an OTR truck driver. He drives one of those "glider" trucks and seems very proud of it. The company he works for can't or won't go to California. He pretty much travels the rest of the country including Colorado.

I have a relative who is an OTR truck driver. He drives one of those "glider" trucks and seems very proud of it. The company he works for can't or won't go to California. He pretty much travels the rest of the country including Colorado.
Why would they have a glider outside of CA?

Yikes.. You read those wacky jacky websites?

Frontpagemag.com is a fake news website. Satire tabloids are more reliable sources of accurate information.
"Those websites" are called conservative websites, and it's the only place you can find real journalism.
Do you listen to CNN ? ABC ? NBC? CBS ? Did you read what CA has done to trucking ?
Nobody believes the mainstream media anymore, except for a few.......

Last edited:
They can't even figure out how to manage their forests to prevent these fires
Many of those forests are National Forests. I do blame the California PUC for allowing PG&E to defer maintenance on the transmission lines that started some of those fires.

I do blame the California PUC for allowing PG&E to defer maintenance on the transmission lines that started some of those fires.
You should blame California. Pacific Gas & Electric asked for a rate increase to hire contractors to clear out the dead brush from sensitive areas.
Of course they were denied. And then CA blamed them when the fires started.
Will the last person leaving CA please close the door ?

I would love to buy more made in America, but those evil polluting rich companies who treat their employees so terribly have been driven out of the country.
Maytag used to have a plant only about 50 miles from here ... they held out for a long time, but finally went to Mexico.
It was part of the grand plan to change the US from a manufacturing based economy to a service based economy .... doesn't seem like such a smart move now.

I held the line on buying US made clothes for as long as I could but it eventually became impossible to find them. I do still buy US made shoes ... and a few clothing manufacturers are starting to pop back up .... but they are few and far between and can only be had with online orders.
We need to incentivize these companies to bring manufacturing back instead of vilifying them.

Pacific Gas & Electric asked for a rate increase to hire contractors to clear out the dead brush from sensitive areas.
I am sure that is the official PG&E stance. I have yet to see a rate increase framed in that way. Usually rate increases are based on Return on Investment. Maintenance is just one element of a complex formula.

We need to incentivize these companies to bring manufacturing back instead of vilifying them.
Which is what Trump was doing. And the mainstream media made him out to be a devil/traitor/russian agent.
Our side never bought it; we supported him and most of his policies.
Especially the policy of moving manufacturing back out of China.

Have been losing manufacturing to China for at least two decades. Not going to snap back in two years. And of course China is lower cost so prices will rise. Same issue as Japan starting in maybe the late 1960s.

Will be interesting to watch as costs rise in China where the manufacturing goes next. India? South America? Africa?

..... Even the industries they are supposedly trying to support are getting fed up an leaving .... Tesla as one of the biggest examples.

It's not that they are trying to escape liberalism .... or they wouldn't have chosen Austin. It is the crazy policies in California that are slowly ruining a great state. They can't even figure out how to manage their forests to prevent these fires that release more CO2 than all the glider trucks in the country for 100 years.
It is a lot easier to pass a stupid law than it is to enact forest management practices that would be a LOT more effective .... which if done properly would also stop the the mud slides that inevitably follow the fires.

Burning wood is said to be carbon neutral and therefore doesn’t really add any additional carbon than would be added if it fell down in the forest and turned back into the soil. The issue is deforestation that doesn’t grow back and expand as necessary… (And for those that say blame the environmentalists, how about blame industries and consumerism mentality at the least expensive price instead, which is the actual source of the pollution for the most part…..)

Burning wood is said to be carbon neutral and therefore doesn’t really add any additional carbon than would be added if it fell down in the forest and turned back into the soil. The issue is deforestation that doesn’t grow back and expand as necessary… (And for those that say blame the environmentalists, how about blame industries and consumerism mentality at the least expensive price instead, which is the actual source of the pollution for the most part…..)
I don't see how you can take a live tree that is removing CO2 from the environment and burn it .... releasing all the CO2 it has captured it's entire life ... and call that carbon neutral.
Seems like a way to get around addressing the problem.

Maybe if all you were burning was dead downed trees.

I don't see how you can take a live tree that is removing CO2 from the environment and burn it .... releasing all the CO2 it has captured it's entire life ... and call that carbon neutral.
If the tree was 200 years old and you have a grove of 200 trees.... harvest one a year and they grow back, carbon neutral.

Maybe if all you were burning was dead downed trees.
I know, hard to believe, but … it is… the issue is if the forest doesn’t grow back or something else is built on it and takes away the use of it as forest, which cannot then grow back to sequester more carbon … hence why forests and their expansion and regrowth vs their destruction, globally, not just here in the US, needs to be addressed as part of the solution. But we are deforesting and destroying way more than we are regrowing and expanding forests nationally and globally. So sorry, but blaming the tree huggers is just another example of the other side not understanding the bigger picture, imho….

Back