diy solar

diy solar

The world’s largest single-site solar farm just came online

fromport

Solar Addict

The 2-gigawatt (GW) solar farm is 22 miles (35 km) from Abu Dhabi and features almost 4 million bifacial solar panels.
It will power nearly 200,000 homes and eliminate over 2.4 million tonnes of carbon emissions annually.
The solar panels were installed at an average rate of 10 megawatts (MW) a day during construction.

Wow...

Last edited:
World's largest solar farm, 4 million panels in Abu Dhabi, and it only produces enough to power 200,000 homes , not very impressive...

World's largest solar farm, 4 million panels in Abu Dhabi, and it only produces enough to power 200,000 homes , not very impressive...
Given those 200.000 probably use as much power as the state of Texas in ac ..
I would say not too shabby

Agreed. Unless it's to early for my brain to do math that's 2,000 panels per home. Something doesn't add up unless they are 5w panels.

Edit. 20 panels per home. It was to early ?

Last edited:
Must be WAAAYYYYY too early for you to do math - that is 20 panels per home. :cool:
? I still can't figure out how I screwed that up by 100x. Post edited. Thank you.

Agreed that 20 is limited to power a home, currently I'm at 30 (18 315w, 12 305w) and I want more. You find loads to consume electricity when you make your own.

Yeah, but their 20x 500W panels is 7% more than your 30 panels.
And that isn't counting bifacial aspect; if out among the sand dunes, could get considerable additional.

And then there is latitude.

They must have good insulation and cool/reflective coatings to get by with less PV power than I use. (well, most of my consumption is winter heating.)

Heating definitely is a heavy hitter. I've been considering adding a 2nd mini split (cold weather rated) but it will be much more economical to buy more coal...
Latitude has a significant impact as well.

These units are an average of 5000 square feet, some as large as 20,000 square feet. How many A/C wattage does it take to cool 5000 square feet in the heat of United Arab Emirates? Wikipedia says July temps exceed 109F (43C) in Dubai, with nighttime lows of 85F (29C)

While not everyone lives in a 5000 square foot penthouse, even people who live in smaller dwellings use air conditioning. That's a lotta juice. 2 gigawatts is 2 gigawatts, what you do with it is another story.

Or maybe you forgot the /s and we're the chumps for taking you seriously... lol

The 2-gigawatt (GW) solar farm is 22 miles (35 km) from Abu Dhabi and features almost 4 million bifacial solar panels.
It will power nearly 200,000 homes and eliminate over 2.4 million tonnes of carbon emissions annually.
The solar panels were installed at an average rate of 10 megawatts (MW) a day during construction.

Wow...
They should have planted trees instead.

These units are an average of 5000 square feet, some as large as 20,000 square feet. How many A/C wattage does it take to cool 5000 square feet in the heat of United Arab Emirates? Wikipedia says July temps exceed 109F (43C) in Dubai, with nighttime lows of 85F (29C)

While not everyone lives in a 5000 square foot penthouse, even people who live in smaller dwellings use air conditioning. That's a lotta juice. 2 gigawatts is 2 gigawatts, what you do with it is another story.

Or maybe you forgot the /s and we're the chumps for taking you seriously... lol
It's a dry heat. ?

It's a dry heat. ?

Having lived in dry and wet heat, yes, wet is worse. But even in dry heat at 109-120F, it’s oppressive and potentially dangerous.

If you live a lifestyle that supports living in such heat (such as an afternoon siesta as was common prior to air conditioning), then it’s doable. Otherwise, crank up the a/c!

Back