diy solar

diy solar

These batteries are scams right?

These batteries are scams right? there is no way they could actually offer these prices for these specs. Am I crazy?
Not necessarily. I have several Liitokilla batteries. Just be aware that they will not deliver stated capacity. But for the price they may still be a great deal. Ordering batteries off of Aliexpress I have learned to stick to merchants that have a name for their shop and not the ones that are just a string of numbers. Also you have to be careful to watch that the advertised price that a general search produces is not for something other than the item mentioned. For example you could see a real low price mentioned for a 24vDC 100ah battery but at the actual listing you will notice 4 battery choices. The price and default selection was instead a 12vDC 50ah battery. There is also the choice to buy the 24vDC 100ah battery but the price changes when you select it.

Also be aware that batteries are shipped by sea and a 2 month wait is not uncommon. Although it is said you can return them for refund the reality is you can not afford the shipping so only buy things you can afford to rite off if it don't work out. Some merchants are willing to discount if you are unhappy and Aliepress is good about guaranteeing you will get the product. You do need to be diligent about the process of reporting when a item is delivered if not within the shipping time.

Buying off Aliexpress can work if you understand all the gotchas. It is like the advice for a Carpenter, "read twice cut once".

Not necessarily. I have several Liitokilla batteries. Just be aware that they will not deliver stated capacity. But for the price they may still be a great deal. Ordering batteries off of Aliexpress I have learned to stick to merchants that have a name for their shop and not the ones that are just a string of numbers. Also you have to be careful to watch that the advertised price that a general search produces is not for something other than the item mentioned. For example you could see a real low price mentioned for a 24vDC 100ah battery but at the actual listing you will notice 4 battery choices. The price and default selection was instead a 12vDC 50ah battery. There is also the choice to buy the 24vDC 100ah battery but the price changes when you select it.

Also be aware that batteries are shipped by sea and a 2 month wait is not uncommon. Although it is said you can return them for refund the reality is you can not afford the shipping so only buy things you can afford to rite off if it don't work out. Some merchants are willing to discount if you are unhappy and Aliepress is good about guaranteeing you will get the product. You do need to be diligent about the process of reporting when a item is delivered if not within the shipping time.

Buying off Aliexpress can work if you understand all the gotchas. It is like the advice for a Carpenter, "read twice cut once".
True. At least for the small learners system i want to build, i'm basically just looking for a cheapo battery anyways. For the bigger system i would build, i would definitely go with a better, more expandable battery system. Sure they are more expensive, but they come with warranties, support, and are less likely to crap out and burn things down.

Not sure of what inverter you are planning but I have bought from here* the 24vDC 80ah battery (present price of $243.04). From my testing I get around 60ah. If you catch the Aliexpress Holiday specials right often you can drop the price quite a bit. I aim for around $225 before I consider it worthwhile.

* https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...st_main.5.3c401802aUV4Bj&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

ETA: BTW when setting up to run your inexpensive LiFePO4 battery I have found that it is best to use conservative charge values in the beginning as it takes a few weeks of cycling the cells to achieve a reasonable balance. Some SCC default charge settings will cause individual cells to run high and the BMS will disconnect. When this happens it is likely the voltage at the inverter will exceed high setting (The SCC DC common output voltage jumps up without battery in circuit) and causes a fault.

A good start Bulk voltage is one that delivers 3.5vDC at the cells. At the cells does not mean at the SCC since your SCC may have a slightly higher voltage due to voltage drop between it and the battery. Also be aware that SCC measurements of voltage may not be accurate. Anyone attempting to go solar should have some DMM they trust and DC clamp ammeters.

Last edited:
Not sure of what inverter you are planning but I have bought from here* the 24vDC 80ah battery (present price of $243.04). From my testing I get around 60ah. If you catch the Aliexpress Holiday specials right often you can drop the price quite a bit. I aim for around $225 before I consider it worthwhile.

* https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...st_main.5.3c401802aUV4Bj&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

ETA: BTW when setting up to run your inexpensive LiFePO4 battery I have found that it is best to use conservative charge values in the beginning as it takes a few weeks of cycling the cells to achieve a reasonable balance. Some SCC default charge settings will cause individual cells to run high and the BMS will disconnect. When this happens it is likely the voltage at the inverter will exceed high setting (The SCC DC common output voltage jumps up without battery in circuit) and causes a fault.

A good start Bulk voltage is one that delivers 3.5vDC at the cells. At the cells does not mean at the SCC since your SCC may have a slightly higher voltage due to voltage drop between it and the battery. Also be aware that SCC measurements of voltage may not be accurate. Anyone attempting to go solar should have some DMM they trust and DC clamp ammeters.
ok. that is good to know

Back