This could be interesting

upnorthandpersonal

Administrator
I’ve been struggling with putting a bunch of semi-diy on top of my cabin and dealing with the fire risk.

I don't put anything in or on my cabin related to power; even if this would be non-diy. Ground mounts give you much more flexibility to get the positioning right, and maintenance/cleaning if needed - never mind the weight while already calculated for heavy snow load. Having noisy inverters and charge controllers in the cabin is also a big no - these can all go in their own insulated building where I don't have to see or hear them unless I want to.

Cheap 4-life

Solar Enthusiast
So, instead of just doing the usual and buying some Victron and Batrium equipment and calling it a day, I went shopping on Alibaba and Aliexpress to see if I could build my entire 32x280Ah and 10kW solar panels system for under 10K Euro, keeping in mind the power and charge requirements - so not under sizing. This is what I'm getting, all including shipping and tax:

WhatWhereCost
20x 500W mono panelsYangtze Solar Power (Alibaba)€3733.56
32x 280Ah LiFePO4Shenzen Haomi Electronic (Alibaba)€3215.5
5kW pure sine inverterReliable Electric Power Store (Aliexpress)€517.91
BMS 16S 100A (x2)thanksforyou Store (aliexpress)€175
MUST PC18-10015F 100A MPPT SCC (x2)MUST Energy (Alibaba)€529.46

Total: €8171.43

Is this all going to work perfectly? Doubt it, but we'll see. If that BMS is any good I'll upgrade it to the 200A version which is 2.5 times as expensive, so that would become €368 for both together. It seems to be the upgraded version of the one Will finally found that had low temp cut-off. This is well under my target of €10K, and I'm especially looking forward to how that charge controller is going to be doing and what that inverter can actually handle. I'll test it all in-depth and I'll post an update once I know more.
Love this.. goes right along with my name lol.. I actually use a very similiar setup for the occasional grid outage or for when SHTF. Although I’m doing it a bit cheaper (go figure) with lipo instead of Lifepo4. And a bit smaller with only 5.6kw of panels.. my inverter is the better Reliable version. The inverter cost me $759 for a 4kw a few years ago. Using one chargery 100amp bms. Did splurge a bit on an outback fm80 cc.. It all cost me right at $4k total

From day to day I’m using cheapo grid tie inverters which are not included in that $4k

Last edited:

MattiFin

Solar Addict
So, instead of just doing the usual and buying some Victron and Batrium equipment and calling it a day, I went shopping on Alibaba and Aliexpress to see if I could build my entire 32x280Ah and 10kW solar panels system for under 10K Euro, keeping in mind the power and charge requirements - so not under sizing. This is what I'm getting, all including shipping and tax:

WhatWhereCost
20x 500W mono panelsYangtze Solar Power (Alibaba)€3733.56
Looks like panel prices have fallen even here in Up North considerably in the last 1.5 years
This works out to be actually cheaper than your package from Alibaba:

upnorthandpersonal

Administrator
Don't forget to add shipping :) (Edit: just checked, not bad at all - cheaper than mine indeed)
I could have found panels that were cheaper (or at least at the same price point) through GWL back then. However, not the big 500W ones which I wanted for aesthetics. But yes, prices here up north have definitely gone down.

Last edited: