diy solar

diy solar

Titan Solar Generator

I ordered mine back in December, was supposed to get it in February, never received it till late March. I still have not received my car charger!! ?
To this day, after about 10 weeks, it has never charged with solar! I charged it with a wall outlet, and tried running a small refrigerator, didn't even run it for 20 hrs. I live in my van, so I don't have access to keep charging it by wall outlets. Now it won't even charge by wall outlet. I plugged it in about two weeks ago, it started out at 4%, I checked it about 30 minutes later and it was at 27%. So I left it for about 3 hours, and checked it again, it was at 19% and the charging arrows were pointing down. I thought maybe it got too hot, so I unplugged it to cool. I tried again, and my power percentage just kept going down! It has not charged again since. I just have a big heavy box sitting in my van taking up space and is not of any use!
I had tried getting ahold of point zero over and over again, when I couldn't get it to charge with solar panels. After about the 15th to 20th time, they finally called me back. I had ordered mine through Ben, and had him send it to my son's house because I don't have a address. I don't know why, but for some reason Ben put the order in my son's name, so when I finally was able to talk to someone at point zero, they wouldn't talk to me about the product because it wasn't in my name! Even though I paid $3,114 for the piece of crap, I can not get any help with getting the thing to charge!!

My advice is to RUN from this company and don't look back!

I ordered mine back in December, was supposed to get it in February, never received it till late March. I still have not received my car charger!! ?
To this day, after about 10 weeks, it has never charged with solar! I charged it with a wall outlet, and tried running a small refrigerator, didn't even run it for 20 hrs. I live in my van, so I don't have access to keep charging it by wall outlets. Now it won't even charge by wall outlet. I plugged it in about two weeks ago, it started out at 4%, I checked it about 30 minutes later and it was at 27%. So I left it for about 3 hours, and checked it again, it was at 19% and the charging arrows were pointing down. I thought maybe it got too hot, so I unplugged it to cool. I tried again, and my power percentage just kept going down! It has not charged again since. I just have a big heavy box sitting in my van taking up space and is not of any use!
I had tried getting ahold of point zero over and over again, when I couldn't get it to charge with solar panels. After about the 15th to 20th time, they finally called me back. I had ordered mine through Ben, and had him send it to my son's house because I don't have a address. I don't know why, but for some reason Ben put the order in my son's name, so when I finally was able to talk to someone at point zero, they wouldn't talk to me about the product because it wasn't in my name! Even though I paid $3,114 for the piece of crap, I can not get any help with getting the thing to charge!!

My advice is to RUN from this company and don't look back!
Did you check the AC power brick to make sure it was on the 110V setting? If it was on the 220V setting it probably wouldn't charge properly. Also, for solar charging do you have at least two panel banks in series. The Titan battery is nominal 24V and it will not charge if you only have one or are only paralleling multiple 18-20V panels. You need to have at least two and preferably more panels (or panel banks) connected in series to have enough voltage to charge from solar.

Last edited:
How is it that some people get prompt replies from the company and others report making calls and not getting even an answering machine or long delayed responses to emails? Leaves me wondering if this is a reputable company? On paper, the product looks great, but, for the purchase price, I'd expect at least decent if not above average responsiveness. It sounds hit or miss on that score. Thoughts?

I have had very few issues with getting a hold of the manufacturer. You can always call for help at 800-489-0552 as well to get assistance from https://PoweredPortableSolar.com. I run that website. If I don't answer the phone it's generally because I'm on the line with someone already helping them out. Or emailing directly to info@poweredportablesolar.com I respond all the time on there even on weekends sometimes.

Would there be fewer crickets if I post the links to the minute man prep video about this solar power thingy? :D

His portable solar pricing deal: https://poweredportablesolar.com/product/titan-solar-generator-no-panels/

Anybody have anything to say about his comparison chart of the different makes and models of these things? Agree? Disagree?

Here is the current comparison chart as of 21 Aug 2020

I'm not sure why it's not showing a clear picture but you can find the current comparison chart at https://poweredportablesolar.com/

Attachments

• Solar Generator Comparison Chart 2020 08 21.jpg
    Solar Generator Comparison Chart 2020 08 21.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 5
I have had very few issues with getting a hold of the manufacturer. You can always call for help at 800-489-0552 as well to get assistance from https://PoweredPortableSolar.com. I run that website. If I don't answer the phone it's generally because I'm on the line with someone already helping them out. Or emailing directly to info@poweredportablesolar.com I respond all the time on there even on weekends sometimes.
Thanks for the response, Ben. Really appreciate your thorough and informative videos on your site.

No problem! That's what I'm here for =)

I purchased a Titan power bank earlier this year to use both at home and in my RV. One of the great things about the Titan is that it has a 30A RV plug that can be used to power a typical travel trailer. I just finished the AC wiring in my trailer to accommodate the placement of the Titan under the bed so that I can run electrical appliances while on the road and boondocking. I ran two 10-2 Romex leads from behind my electrical panel area back to the area under the bed. I disconnected the RV shore power wire from the main AC panel box and wired it to one of the new leads that now goes into a two-circuit breaker box under the bed. A 30A breaker protects the shore power circuit which I wired into a transfer switch and another 15A breaker powers a new receptacle under the bed fed from shore power. Of course the output from the Titan also goes to the transfer switch, and the transfer switch feeds back to the RV's main AC panel. The transfer switch defaults to shore power if it is available, otherwise it transfers to the Titan. The new receptacle under the bed powers two AC chargers for the Titan if shore power is available. If shore power is not available the receptacle under the bed is de-energized, so there is no way that I can accidentally have the Titan powering its own AC chargers. This arrangement works very well and I can now run my 13.5 k BTU RV air conditioner directly from the Titan with no issues and no external power hookups. I can also run the Titan while simultaneously charging it if shore power, a generator, or solar is available. This is great if I'm boondocking and I want to run my 2000 watt Honda generator and still have air conditioning for several more hours. In this scenario, the air conditioning takes power from the Titan's inverter/battery which the generator/shore power partially offsets through the chargers. The two AC chargers draw about 1200 watts which my generator can handle just fine. I previously could not run the air conditioner from my generator. I even have a small puck LED light mounted to provide lighting under the bed if necessary. I have mounted 800 watts of solar panels on the roof of my RV and tied them in with the Titan so I can charge the Titan while driving down the road to keep my refrigerator going on 120V AC electric (about 400 watts when on) instead of propane. See attached pictures.

IMG_3291.jpgIMG_3289.jpgIMG_3303.jpgIMG_3304.jpgIMG_3305.jpg

I purchased a Titan power bank earlier this year to use both at home and in my RV. One of the great things about the Titan is that it has a 30A RV plug that can be used to power a typical travel trailer. I just finished the AC wiring in my trailer to accommodate the placement of the Titan under the bed so that I can run electrical appliances while on the road and boondocking. I ran two 10-2 Romex leads from behind my electrical panel area back to the area under the bed. I disconnected the RV shore power wire from the main AC panel box and wired it to one of the new leads that now goes into a two-circuit breaker box under the bed. A 30A breaker protects the shore power circuit which I wired into a transfer switch and another 15A breaker powers a new receptacle under the bed fed from shore power. Of course the output from the Titan also goes to the transfer switch, and the transfer switch feeds back to the RV's main AC panel. The transfer switch defaults to shore power if it is available, otherwise it transfers to the Titan. The new receptacle under the bed powers two AC chargers for the Titan if shore power is available. If shore power is not available the receptacle under the bed is de-energized, so there is no way that I can accidentally have the Titan powering its own AC chargers. This arrangement works very well and I can now run my 13.5 k BTU RV air conditioner directly from the Titan with no issues and no external power hookups. I can also run the Titan while simultaneously charging it if shore power, a generator, or solar is available. This is great if I'm boondocking and I want to run my 2000 watt Honda generator and still have air conditioning for several more hours. In this scenario, the air conditioning takes power from the Titan's inverter/battery which the generator/shore power partially offsets through the chargers. The two AC chargers draw about 1200 watts which my generator can handle just fine. I previously could not run the air conditioner from my generator. I even have a small puck LED light mounted to provide lighting under the bed if necessary. I have mounted 800 watts of solar panels on the roof of my RV and tied them in with the Titan so I can charge the Titan while driving down the road to keep my refrigerator going on 120V AC electric (about 400 watts when on) instead of propane. See attached pictures.

IMG_3291.jpgIMG_3289.jpgIMG_3303.jpgIMG_3304.jpgIMG_3305.jpg

This is nearly the exact same setup I am working on installing at a remote cabin here on the Texas coast! I will be wiring everything up over the next few weeks. My Titan came in today and I am charging and balancing the batteries now. I have a very similar transfer switch and will be using 1000 watts of solar power input. We will be running a 12k btu Mr. Cool DIY mini-split AC system. Our cabin is less than 3 miles from the Gulf of Mexico so we will be putting the system to the test as far as durability is concerned! Ben at Poweredportablesolar is who we purchased it through and he was excellent in his communication in follow up to my numerous e-mails regarding shipping status! Hopeful for a smooth install going forward.

8BD0BB08-C44B-4094-9379-B86F059BCD03_1_201_a.jpeg

Back