diy solar

diy solar

Today's Stupid Question: Is it Safe to Drink the Water That My A/C Unit Emits from De-humidifying?

I would only drink that water if it was pumped through one of these:

I have one, works great, but the pump handle is fragile, so I take my time and pay attention

Do you like drinking acidic water contaminated with various metals? I know I don't and would never consider this viable. Condensate is acidic and it's that acidic content that helps to slowly deteriorate(dissolve) the aluminum fins of the coil. Don't do it!

We are using a DIY rainwater filter consisting of three thick layers or gravel -> sand -> activated charcoal, separated by mosquito netting. That should work?
It really depends on how much activated carbon they are exposed to. IIRC though Activated Carbon won't address the metals and may have limited efficacy with some of the chemicals you are likely to encounter. You really need the RO for it to be safe to drink, and ideally UV treatment and a post-filter before it hits the activated carbon.

The only way to really understand the scale of risk though it to have the water before and after tested periodically.

References?

Here's another one that is much more extensive that indicates that it's pretty safe: https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperid=97992
This article is about water conservation techniques in India where potable water is hard to find. "The AC unit was run continuously until 1 L of water was collected in second week of November 2019 in clean sterile mineral water bottles. Samples were analyzed within 24 hours of collection. They were stored in refrigerator at 8˚C before analysis.". I'd bet the whole thing was cleaned with a bleach compound then fired up full blast in a controlled space somewhere, not on a random rooftop next to an open market with flies and raw meat.

If you want to build a controlled condensate collector and feed it back into a commercial water treatment system (Say an RO, or send it to a treatment plant) that's fine. If you want to drip it from a random HVAC pan in a 1 gallon jug and drink it it's a really bad idea, but I'm not stopping you. I mentioned you could dump it thru a filtration system. If I'm in a jungle or in a place where there was no potable water, yea it's probably better than whatever is floating down the mekong, but if you have access to a deep well or city water it's plain stupid. There isn't enough to amount to much even in a very humid area, and unless you are collecting in in a controlled manner and treating it you are asking to get sick. If you are trying to survive you want to first look for rapidly flowing water over rocks. Any uncontrolled condensate is going to be pretty far down the list.

I mean seriously this is not sane. For DRINKING water just get an large RO like we used in the service. You are not going to get enough water from a condensate drain to accomplish much, and if it's that humid, just build an artesian well, if you can't drill one.

Also, condensed water is indeed distilled water...
This is not correct:

From wikipedia:
Distilled water is water that has been boiled into vapor and condensed back into liquid in a separate container. Impurities in the original water that do not boil below or near the boiling point of water remain in the original container. Thus, distilled water is a type of purified water.

Hot humid air condensing on cold pipes and dripping off is nothing like that.

This article is about water conservation techniques in India where potable water is hard to find. "The AC unit was run continuously until 1 L of water was collected in second week of November 2019 in clean sterile mineral water bottles. Samples were analyzed within 24 hours of collection. They were stored in refrigerator at 8˚C before analysis.". I'd bet the whole thing was cleaned with a bleach compound then fired up full blast in a controlled space somewhere, not on a random rooftop next to an open market with flies and raw meat.

If you want to build a controlled condensate collector and feed it back into a commercial water treatment system (Say an RO, or send it to a treatment plant) that's fine. If you want to drip it from a random HVAC pan in a 1 gallon jug and drink it it's a really bad idea, but I'm not stopping you. I mentioned you could dump it thru a filtration system. If I'm in a jungle or in a place where there was no potable water, yea it's probably better than whatever is floating down the mekong, but if you have access to a deep well or city water it's plain stupid. There isn't enough to amount to much even in a very humid area, and unless you are collecting in in a controlled manner and treating it you are asking to get sick. If you are trying to survive you want to first look for rapidly flowing water over rocks. Any uncontrolled condensate is going to be pretty far down the list.

I mean seriously this is not sane. For DRINKING water just get an large RO like we used in the service. You are not going to get enough water from a condensate drain to accomplish much, and if it's that humid, just build an artesian well, if you can't drill one.
I'm not making a judgement about if I would suggest doing it or not, but I would not make a judgement based on assertions with no evidence. I haven't found any actual study that suggests that it could be bad, and have found two that suggest the opposite.

This discussion reminds me of the old study that determined there was more E.coli in your kitchen than in your toilet (or something like that). Would I prepare food in my toilet? No, but it's easy to make assumption based on no facts, and it's easy to jump to the worst case scenario and assume that's the norm.

Replace any plumbing fixture in your house that's been there for any length of time and see if there isn't some "gunk" in there. Don't even consider what's in the pipes underground. When Tucson first switched to CAP (Central Arizona Project) water from ground water, they reversed the flow of the mains that ran under the city. It wasn't pretty.

A good discussion. Each time I empty my dehumidifier I ponder this question.

We now have about 20-25 gallons of water reclaimed from our A/C unit's dehumidifier. I am motivated to send some of it off to a lab and settle the question for myself. I don't know if I'm motivated enough to actually do it. :)

Anecdotally, one of my employees is a feral cat and she drinks the condensate from a window air-conditioner in my shop (because she doesn't want to come in and drink the water I put out for her I guess). She's been with us almost 15 years and refuses to get eaten by predators. Some might posit that the condensate water has made her more agile and decreased her reaction times.

Today's Stupid Question: Is it Safe to Drink the Water That My A/C Unit Emits from De-humidifying?

NO!
A case of 40 bottles of water at the grocery store is $4.
Ridiculous question....

Count me in with the unserious clan (and appreciate the anecdote from hpeyerl) but in this case, let’s say the manufacturer has some process that uses a certain chemical on their equipment, whether for fabrication, corrosion or bacterial resistance, that any lab testing water for potable use is not equipped to test, then using that water becomes an experiment for ingesting a possible toxin; not worth it. The cat may be able to sense industrial nastiness and avoid it but we humans typically don’t have nine lives.

Looks like graphene is back on the menu, boys!:

1693759030849.png

NO!
A case of 40 bottles of water at the grocery store is $4.
Ridiculous question....
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, Mr. Prickly? :) For what it's worth, we have dozens of cases of bottled water in storage; however, in a somewhat long-term scenario, that can run out, the well can run dry, etc. We live in a very humid area, and every day our A/C generates a couple of gallons of water from condensate. So it's a natural question for those of us who still have lots to learn.

I'll admit pouring my dehumidifier condensate into the toilet tank after a flush.

I'm less excited about using it to shower or wash my hands or drink because I've read too many in depth discussions of what these companies coat their radiators/coils with.

Anecdotally, one of my employees is a feral cat and she drinks the condensate from a window air-conditioner in my shop (because she doesn't want to come in and drink the water I put out for her I guess). She's been with us almost 15 years and refuses to get eaten by predators. Some might posit that the condensate water has made her more agile and decreased her reaction times.
Cats prefer moving water to still water in a bowl…

Back