diy solar

diy solar

Too Equalize AGM batteries or not is the question?

Jtp.PlzAndThankYou

I have 4 AGM Vmax tanks 2@12.84 and 2@12.80v should I equalize before series/parallel connecting for my desired 24v battery bank? If so how do you equalize charge them?
Thanks for any assistance
Josh

At that sort of voltage difference with lead acid you aren't going to get horrible current flow but you could easily draw down the two higher ones with a 12v lamp for a car etc. Are they of similar age and treatment, looking at their capacity. If they have different capacities you need to keep them matched in their strings. Different amp hour batteries in series will cause one battery to get elevated voltage during charging.

You could also parallel a 2.84 battery to a 2.80 and let the natural law of energy flow do the rest.
Watch all 4 over time and cycles to see if the difference increases.
Equalize, as it pertains to lead acid batteries = "controlled over charge". Check with the manufacturer and follow their recommendations prior to equalizing AGM batteries

The Equalisation charge for Lead Acid batteries is akin to what a BMS does for LiFePO4 batteries: it's done to balance the internal cells. The two chemistries differ because when a Li-ion cell reaches maximum charge, it does not allow further current flow, that's not the case for Lead Acid so they are easy to balance by simply applying a 'controlled overcharge'. Your battery will undoubtedly have manufacturer's recommendation for equalisation e.g. 15.4V for 30 mins every month, or something similar.

Back