diy solar

diy solar

Total Newb, so confused

edkruzel

Hello All,
I'm in the process of learning all I can about solar, but feel like this rabbit hole is spiraling. We have purchased raw land in East Texas and the past 3yrs have been clearing land and building roads. Our driveway is over a mile long, so getting on the grid doesn't make sense; off-grid solar seems most reasonable. Currently we have 30'x40' metal building, an RV, and most recently had a well installed. The well pump draws 6amp/220v and is roughly 160' deep. The end game is to build our retirement home (about 2yrs out). I've cleared an area 205yrds x 85yrds for the home and a solar field, but for now I think it may be best to run a stand alone solar to power the well. Powering the well and the RV would be even better, but simply replacing one generator would be a blessing. Any suggestions are deeply appreciated.

Personally, if I were starting from scratch, I would design the finished setup. Maybe after figuring out your load, you figure out you are going with a couple inverters in parallel. You can install one now and feed the minimum stuff you need now. Add to it as needed. Multiple setups for multiple areas seems like multiple issues to deal with.

It's a fairly simple process, but it's easy to get prematurely bogged down in details.

Step 1) Determine your available solar for your location.
Step 2) Conduct an energy audit and determine your energy needs, i.e., how many kWh/day do you need to supply.
Step 3) Design the system.

If you click Spoiler my signature, you will find links to PV Watts (available solar at your location) and an energy audit spreadsheet. Once populated, the spreadsheet calculates the major parameters, and you can then start selecting components.

A typical well pump has a surge 5X its run current at startup unless is is one of the few models like a Grundfos SQ pump.

It's a fairly simple process, but it's easy to get prematurely bogged down in details.

Step 1) Determine your available solar for your location.
Step 2) Conduct an energy audit and determine your energy needs, i.e., how many kWh/day do you need to supply.
Step 3) Design the system.

If you click Spoiler my signature, you will find links to PV Watts (available solar at your location) and an energy audit spreadsheet. Once populated, the spreadsheet calculates the major parameters, and you can then start selecting components.

A typical well pump has a surge 5X its run current at startup unless is is one of the few models like a Grundfos SQ pump.
I'm not sure if this is correct but it shows 5.2 exposure of sunlight for the area we intend to build. It's Pineland, TX, lots of sun all year and I have a full day unobstructed area for the panels. In the past year living in our current home, the highest amount of usage was 1789kWh for August '23. Average throughout the year per month looks to be about 900kWh per month. Our retirement home will be more efficient, less items on electric and almost half the square footage of this home. I figure if I sized the system and batteries to run this load, I'll have no wants on the new home. I've contacted the design team at Signature solar for some assistance.

Personally, if I were starting from scratch, I would design the finished setup. Maybe after figuring out your load, you figure out you are going with a couple inverters in parallel. You can install one now and feed the minimum stuff you need now. Add to it as needed. Multiple setups for multiple areas seems like multiple issues to deal with.
I like your take on this, however there are 2 factors I'm considering. I really would like to run the well without the generator now, and the home build is a good 18-24 months before we break ground, with 5yrs before we occupy it full time. Next is the well is quite the distance from where we intend to build, and twice that distance from where we intend to put the solar field and power station. The well is however only 50' from the current building where I can install panels on the roof and place the system in the building.

My well is maybe 200 feet from my house. My farthest panels maybe 150 feet. My garage maybe 100 feet from my inverter. It's just wire. Size it for the run. You could buy, say a Sol-Ark 15k and put it in your building. Mount your panels and feed the building, well, RV. When you build the house, move it to the house and send a line out to the building, or leave it where it is and send power to the house.

1200 sf of metal building looks like a good start. Could place 22kW of PV on the roof. About $5000 for panels.
What kind of roof? Some are easily attached to. Standing seam, for instance.

1300W pump will have surge 6500W, easy for a decent inverter.

I'm not sure if this is correct but it shows 5.2 exposure of sunlight for the area we intend to build. It's Pineland, TX, lots of sun all year and I have a full day unobstructed area for the panels. In the past year living in our current home, the highest amount of usage was 1789kWh for August '23. Average throughout the year per month looks to be about 900kWh per month. Our retirement home will be more efficient, less items on electric and almost half the square footage of this home. I figure if I sized the system and batteries to run this load, I'll have no wants on the new home. I've contacted the design team at Signature solar for some assistance.

5.2 hours is equivalent full-power hours with unshaded exposure from sunrise to sunset. It's not how long your panels see sun.

If you have a 100W panel, you will get 100W * 5.2h = 520Wh of energy from it over the whole day.

PVWatts also factors in average weather conditions for your area. For every day of the year, it looks at the last 30 years of data for that day, averages it and then picks the day closest to the calculated average.

Your best days will be better than 5.2 and your worst days may be near zero.

You should also look at your months and design for the worst case.

Since you contacted SS I bet they have a bundle that will provide an interim solution for your well pump and some other loads. I see one at their site for $8683.59 Complete Off-Grid Solar Kit EG4 6000XP | 8000W PV Input | 6000W Output | 48V 120/240V Split Phase + 6400 Watts of Solar PV [KIT-E0008] it could be added to when you build the home.

You could also source all the items yourself after doing a load audit. Many folks have been pleased with the SRNE 10kW split phase AIO's and the are reasonable price at around $1600. If you get the parallel model of this it can grow in total capacity just like the EG4 6000XP can.

You can store electrical power or you could store water. Enough water stored and you could pump at peak solar periods, and wait out worst days. Stand alone solar means more material and planing for LiFePO4 battery temperature range. Lead Acid could be a good fit for peak solar pumping. Also look at the solar panel tilt needed, it's really important for winter.

Kudos on the Santan Solar used panels. I used them on my RVs.

You can store electrical power or you could store water. Enough water stored and you could pump at peak solar periods, and wait out worst days. Stand alone solar means more material and planing for LiFePO4 battery temperature range. Lead Acid could be a good fit for peak solar pumping. Also look at the solar panel tilt needed, it's really important for winter.

Kudos on the Santan Solar used panels. I used them on my RVs.
I'm going to choose to store the electric.

Back