diy solar

diy solar

Trace SW5548 question- Do they need an AGS module if hardwired to the generator, or no?

showme

l've been thinking about using my Miller Bobcat welder/generator as my back up genny, and I'd like to get some thoughts from anyone familiar with the old SW5548's. I've checked out a lot of generators that are termed 'auto start' or 'remote auto start', but can't find any information on exactly what it is that makes them those types. Since these inverters are equipped with what looks like the same controls for the same parameters (crank and run, low/high battery volts, etc.), why would I need an AGS module when it looks like that's what the inverter does? It seems to me if I wire the RY8 start wire to the correct starter terminal and the same with the RY7 run wire, that would do the job. Is this possible? I mean, an AGS module sounds like a transfer switch on a emergency back up generator system, and if this inverter has the ability to control all these parameters, why would AGS be necessary?

I haven't decided on this or buying a new generator, but even if I bought a new "auto start/choke/etc", how would that interact with my 'smart' inverter?

The main reasons I'd rather use the welder is that it's propane and will be plumbed to our main tank, it will be stationary in my shop so it will be dual purpose, and it has an 11kw generator run by a Kohler engine. And I've already got a little Sportsman portable to haul around the property when needed. I really don't need another generator.

I heard one guy say on a welding forum one time that he tried it with solar and the power was "too dirty". I've used Miller and Lincoln welder/generators my whole working life and we didn't ruin any tools or radios or chargers on them. I would think it would be ok.

But what do you all think? Thanks in advance for any ideas or comments. Lee

Does your inverter really have start and run contacts? Then you might be right.

A lot of newer inverters only have one dry contact relay for generator, open off and closed for on. So the AGS handles the starter.

Yeah, and a couple of others, too. I know one or two are for Aux, but I've read the others are for something. One of the main reasons I hunted down the two new old stock 5548's and the one used one is that for years in Homepower magazine, and everywhere else, it seemed, I read about these machines that were tanks, and engineered to be State of the Art and had features nobody else had. I've even read that a few of the engineers later companies didn't include stuff these had. But, yes, they have a two wire crank set up that monitors the batts and automatically calls the genny when needed, then shuts it off when it's to its set point. My biggest problem would be the choke. Since I shut the lp off everytime I kill the welder, I'm not sure if it would make a difference if it was on or not in freezing weather. I seriously doubt it. I have to choke it a little every start unless it's warmed up.

I've checked out a lot of generators that are termed 'auto start' or 'remote auto start', but can't find any information on exactly what it is that makes them those types.
Most propane AutoStart generators have a set of dry contacts. If you "close" them the generator goes through it's startup cycle then runs until you open them up again.

Compare dry contacts to a standard light switch but replace the light bulb with a generator.

Or perhaps a better comparison is to a thermostat that sends a signal to your furnace to run. The thermostat isn't telling the gas valve to open, fan to run or the igniter to spark. All of that logic is built into the the furnace's control board.

So, Oz, I remember seeing before that you may have had a system like mine. I don't know if you still have/use it (I see the 4048's on your signature), but how did you set up your generator on yours?

So, Oz, I remember seeing before that you may have had a system like mine. I don't know if you still have/use it (I see the 4048's on your signature), but how did you set up your generator on yours?
If I had my 2 wire auto start generator hooked up to it (cobbler's children... et al) I would use COM and N.O. terminals on RY7.

1710096942838.png

Back