diy solar

diy solar

Trailer converter.

dpdoug

My trailer came with a 120VAC converter (I think rated at 35 amps) that charged a 12V lead acid battery. Is it a bad idea to charge my Lithium 12V 200Ah battery with the original converter that came with the trailer? (Of course, that would only be for initial charges, since I have solar panels.) Or would it be enough to rely on solar panels and DC to DC charger -- we'll be doing a lot of dry camping.

Not a good idea to charge lithium using a charger designed for lead acid. Consider removing the current charger and replace it with something like this:

It can charge lithium from your vehicle and also charge from solar panels with MPPT charger.

My trailer came with a 120VAC converter (I think rated at 35 amps) that charged a 12V lead acid battery. Is it a bad idea to charge my Lithium 12V 200Ah battery with the original converter that came with the trailer? (Of course, that would only be for initial charges, since I have solar panels.) Or would it be enough to rely on solar panels and DC to DC charger -- we'll be doing a lot of dry camping.
As long as you understand the liFePO4 cells will not reach full charge with the LA charger, it won’t hurt the cells, but you would need to top hem off with solar to get them full.

depending on your loads, the solar may be all you need.

I know there is a replacement converter for the trailer that is compatible with Lithium, but the cheapest I have found is $188. I've already spent over $2000 for the materials for the solar system. I'm trying to avoid spending a lot on something I may hardly even use. What I was hoping for is maybe a charger that I could use at home just before a trip to top off the battery -- like a battery charger.

I was thinking of something like a battery charger with alligator clamps. like what you might use on a car battery, but that would be compatible with the voltage of Lithium to charge it. But I may only need solar seeing that that we won't be using a lot of high draw appliances. Plus, with the traveling we'll be doing the DC to DC charger will help out too.

Last edited:
Not a good idea to charge lithium using a charger designed for lead acid. Consider removing the current charger and replace it with something like this:

It can charge lithium from your vehicle and also charge from solar panels with MPPT charger.
I bought the DC-DC battery charger (20A) by Renogy that Will recommended. I suppose it's only to be used for charging the battery when the car's engine is running. I have an mppt for the solar panels...

Last edited:
Back