diy solar

diy solar

Transformer for Inverter Generator

Julianl

Not a new member?
I found a 120x240 120/240 Transformer on EBay.

My plan is to hook my 120v Inverter Generator to it so I can supply 120/240 3 wire to the AIO inverter.

The nameplate seems to agree but I called Schenedier and level 2 support said it would not work. ???

The thought is to put parallel 120v to the primary and on the secondary be in series to get 120v N 120v.

Should work right?

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 5.39.09 PM.png

Last edited:
It should work fine. I use similar setup for a Yamaha inverter-generator.

Primary side to inverter-gen is connected with parallel windings for 120vac. Secondary side is connected as series windings for 240/120vac.

Make sure you follow the transformer terminal references to get the winding direction correct. For example, if you accidentally reverse the primary windings connection phasing you create a short circuit across input.

A 15kVA isolation transformer is pretty large. The initial magnetization surge current when you first apply power to transformer might cause a momentary overload on generator. Likely worse you will see is a fraction of a second blink of inverter-generator overload LED.

IMG_0497.JPG

Last edited:
A 15kVA isolation transformer is pretty large. The initial magnetization surge current when you first apply power to transformer might cause a momentary overload on generator. Likely worse you will see is a fraction of a second blink of inverter-generator overload LED.
Thanks - Good point about the inrush current.

Back