diy solar

diy solar

Travel trailer battery compartment complete

Looks nice and clean. The only thing to consider is some sort of air inlet/outlet fans if that compartment gets warm with the GroWatt working hard.

Really nice. My battery OCD (head) voice is saying - he could fit in 3 times that amount - why doesn't he? but fortunately you don't have to listen to it the way I do :)

I agree with more space around that inverter. I mounted my MPP in a tight space and am constantly having it overheat. I ended up ducting cool air from inside the rig with fans and exhaust fans. Its still hot as h*ll in there.

Manufactures recommend somewhere between 7-11" around the unit, I don't remember exactly but it's in the manual.

That looks very nice. I would suggest adding an electrically insulated panel on top of those cell terminals.
How would you do that? Do you have any examples? This is something I was considering but couldn't come up with a good way to do it.

How would you do that?
I’d like to see how others have done the covers. The devils in the details of the build, and covering the terminals is one of many details I’m thinking as I’m waiting 8 weeks for the cells to show up.

I plan on adding one and am going to ask my daughter to print something on the 3D printer. I will need to provide her with a file for it.

I’m building two 24 volt batteries 8 cells each. If my daughter can’t print that up, what I plan on doing is building the compression box like you have, but making the sides a few inches taller and putting a hinge on, attaching a plastic sheet cut to size from Home Depot, and perhaps a handle.
=========
Looks like you screwed the battery into the floor, and the cells are protected from left to right and forward to back. How about up and down going over the bumps? My Batteries will weigh 100 LBS each, but those a are 8 cells each about 12.5 LBS connected by two bus bars and compressed at the ends. One of those other devils in the details I’m thinking about for my build.
==========
I think its a very neat build and its amazing how the All in One build cleans up the compartment compared to my 3 charge controllers, inverter, circuit box, combiner box, added DC fuse box, and slide out battery tray.

Do you have any examples?

Either a sheet of clear plexiglass or plywood would be easy and look good.

It would not take much to drop something on top of the cells and create a short circuit and smoke show. If it can happen, it will happen.

Plywood lid and then you could strap it down to prevent bouncing.

Probably just me but I would put the battery and inverter leads adjacent to each other on the busbar. Lower current leads further out.

Nice and clean, good job.

I have a 5th wheel camper and am planning to replace the system that came from the factory. Currently I have a battery compartment with slide out tray that holds 2 Group 31 deep cycle batteries.

What are the dimensions of the compartment you built your system in?

How would you do that? Do you have any examples? This is something I was considering but couldn't come up with a good way to do it.
I used a sheet of lexan and heated it up with a heat gun and bent it over the sides. Small screws hold it on.

Looks great, makes me embarrassed to show mine. You can melt a Kydex sheet for a top cover...cheap and easy to work with.

Back