diy solar

diy solar

TriStar PWM won't go into float

Hi all looking for some help please

My TriStar PWM won't switch into float mode out absorption

System 2.5kwh of PV, 48v system , 330amps of AGM batteries (15kw~), victron shunt

Everything has been working fine , but I recently changed inverter to a new cheap 5.5kw Hybrid and have been using mains electricity to recharge the batteries...

when both tristar and hybrid were being used together I noticed that batteries were holding 14.4v~ even though batteries were 100%soc and had been for hours

on further investigation the tristar was the culprit, I figured it just wasn't playing well with another charge source .

But now I've switched the hybrid off it's been a few hours and the Tristar still won't switch to float , still holding 57.4v (14.35v) and 0.2amp current

Led indicators on tristar say it's in absorption mode , dip switches seem to be correctly set to 14.15v
any ideas on what's going ? All help appreciated thank you
Screenshot_2023-09-28-17-48-59-804_com.victronenergy.victronconnect.jpg
Screenshot_2023-09-28-17-58-51-560-edit_com.mi.globalbrowser.jpg

So it used to go into float? and now it doesn't?

Yep , or at least it hasn't yet .. it's now been on absorbion, holding 57.4v for 3 hours straight .

Batteries are at a true full 100%soc after being on mains charger for a good few days . TriStar should be on float

your welcome. Another option you can try is contacting morningstar directly. They have always responded to me right away. super helpful support.

Ok good idea, what I'm going to do is leave it for a bit , see if it does eventually switch to float

Then discharge over night, let the tristar top the batteries back up tomorrow , see what happens

If that doesn't work I'll get onto morning star

If that doesn't work I'll get onto morning star
They are very responsive and helpful.

Have you used the MSView application (Windoze only)?
Its pretty informative and allows one to see/change parameters like "time before float".

They are very responsive and helpful.

Have you used the MSView application (Windoze only)?
Its pretty informative and allows one to see/change parameters like "time before float".

Ill get the communication cable ordered ... I thought I had the right one but turns out not , tristar needs a male in , not female

the manual doesn't really suggest how long the charger needs to absorb charge before entering float. it shows it for a "load" operating charge controller. I don't see how long the absorb is for when its just charging batteries.

what kind of busbars are those sam?

They are what we call "Henley blocks" in the UK, rated for 100amp & 200amp AC , used for distributing 240vac. Big blocks of tinned copper with screw terminals

I think the 100a's are slightly undersized for the big new hybrid inverter (old one was smaller) but I never actually load the inverter that hard anyways, and certainly not for any sustained length of time

Attachments

• CB9-002-750x750.jpg
    CB9-002-750x750.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 1
  • CB9-006-500x500.jpg
    CB9-006-500x500.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 1
  • CB9-004-750x750.jpg
    CB9-004-750x750.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 1
  • shopping.jpeg
    shopping.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 1
Have you tried turning it off and on again? Unhook it and drain the caps, then hook it up again.

Last edited:
Back