diy solar

diy solar

Trolling motor battery

Luism4

What # of amperage hours on a 12v battery do y’all recommend for a trolling motor that will last a good while.

What are you currently using for the battery?
How is it working out?
What type of battery do you want to use?

What # of amperage hours on a 12v battery do y’all recommend for a trolling motor that will last a good while.
I run a pair of Zoom 100Ah in parallel on my 12V trolling motor. I did some testing the first time out last year and I did install a shunt so I knew exactly how many amps the motor is drawing and how many Ah's left. Boat is Alumacraft 165 CS with the extra wide beam of 97 inches. Trolling motor is Minnkota with Powerdrive with wireless remote and Autopilot which I do use most of the time.

I trolled most of the day with the electric trolling motor. Over half was against the wind. Wind was high enough to slow the boat down and put a good load on the trolling motor and batteries. I never used the 9.9 Pro kicker as I wanted to see how the LFP performed. Highest draw was around 45A. At the end of the day, I had used about 20% of total capacity so 40Ah out of 200Ah of which 160Ah is usable. I'd move up to 24V or 36V motor if I was to replace my trolling motor.

I didn't get a chance for more testing, was too busy in spare time putting my house system together. I might eventually take my kicker off if I was to move to a 36V trolling motor with LFP bank. That is something to consider if you do install LFP, you might want to go bigger down the road.

You gotta give everyone more info. How many hours? How big is the motor? How big of a boat? etc. For a really rough, unscientific example, though... I put a small (30 lb thrust) MinnKota on a fishing kayak with a 35AH 12V battery, and it lasts about 3-4 hours of puttering around, with "stop-start" fishing of sitting in one spot for 5-10 min before moving for a minute or so to find a new spot. I'd guess the motor is being used about 10-15 min at speed 3 to get to where I want to start fishing, maybe 5-10 min at speed 4 to get back to shore when I'm done, the rest at speeds 1-2.

I've used a 35AH battery because they're small enough to carry to the kayak and allow me to fish about 1/2 day before I put it back on charge, and you can even carry a spare if you wish. I haven't fished much in the past two years as I've been too busy but I hook up this same system for our VRBO guests and only one guy has been stranded (just had to paddle back). He used the higher speeds (4/5) WAY too much, which I saw was going to be a problem the moment he left the dock. If you do that, it's a giant drain on the battery.

Anyway, it depends on the boat and the use, as "trolling motors" and boat size vary widely. But that's my real world experience over several years.

You gotta give everyone more info. How many hours? How big is the motor? How big of a boat? etc. For a really rough, unscientific example, though... I put a small (30 lb thrust) MinnKota on a fishing kayak with a 35AH 12V battery, and it lasts about 3-4 hours of puttering around, with "stop-start" fishing of sitting in one spot for 5-10 min before moving for a minute or so to find a new spot. I'd guess the motor is being used about 10-15 min at speed 3 to get to where I want to start fishing, maybe 5-10 min at speed 4 to get back to shore when I'm done, the rest at speeds 1-2.

I've used a 35AH battery because they're small enough to carry to the kayak and allow me to fish about 1/2 day before I put it back on charge, and you can even carry a spare if you wish. I haven't fished much in the past two years as I've been too busy but I hook up this same system for our VRBO guests and only one guy has been stranded (just had to paddle back). He used the higher speeds (4/5) WAY too much, which I saw was going to be a problem the moment he left the dock. If you do that, it's a giant drain on the battery.

Anyway, it depends on the boat and the use, as "trolling motors" and boat size vary widely. But that's my real world experience over several years.
How is the trolling motor mounted on the kayak and steered?

I've been thinking about a kayak for when I go up to Superior National Forest as many lakes are really only easily accessible with canoe or kayak. I have seen people wade their larger boat off a landing for quite a distance to get to deeper water. I do have a 10 foot flat bottom and have that option.

How is the trolling motor mounted on the kayak and steered?

I've been thinking about a kayak for when I go up to Superior National Forest as many lakes are really only easily accessible with canoe or kayak. I have seen people wade their larger boat off a landing for quite a distance to get to deeper water. I do have a 10 foot flat bottom and have that option.
I Googled around for kayak mount pics and built one out of oak (much easier than it sounds) or you can buy them online. It just bolts on right behind my seat, mounting to the side, not the back, of the kayak. I steer by just turning the motor in its mount. Give me a few days and I'll try to snap a few pics (or find some in my photo files).

I currently use a 35ah battery and sometimes I want to go fishing larger lakes and also the coast. looking for one that is enough for a full day of fishing.
What are you currently using for the battery?
How is it working out?
What type of battery do you want to use?

I run a pair of Zoom 100Ah in parallel on my 12V trolling motor. I did some testing the first time out last year and I did install a shunt so I knew exactly how many amps the motor is drawing and how many Ah's left. Boat is Alumacraft 165 CS with the extra wide beam of 97 inches. Trolling motor is Minnkota with Powerdrive with wireless remote and Autopilot which I do use most of the time.

I trolled most of the day with the electric trolling motor. Over half was against the wind. Wind was high enough to slow the boat down and put a good load on the trolling motor and batteries. I never used the 9.9 Pro kicker as I wanted to see how the LFP performed. Highest draw was around 45A. At the end of the day, I had used about 20% of total capacity so 40Ah out of 200Ah of which 160Ah is usable. I'd move up to 24V or 36V motor if I was to replace my trolling motor.

I didn't get a chance for more testing, was too busy in spare time putting my house system together. I might eventually take my kicker off if I was to move to a 36V trolling motor with LFP bank. That is something to consider if you do install LFP, you might want to go bigger down the road.
Thanks your reply

Thanks your reply

I currently use a 35ah battery and sometimes I want to go fishing larger lakes and also the coast. looking for one that is enough for a full day of fishing.
If the current 35ah battery is lead acid.
Then an 18ah LFP battery would be comparable.
This will give you an idea of what capacity you need for what duration you want.

Back