diy solar

diy solar

Truck Camper Panel Wiring Question

misterpat

Hey everyone.

I'm in the process of upgrading my solar setup from 480 watts to 800 watts. I'm going to be running 4 200 watt panels in a 2s2p setup. With the panels I'm going to be running that will give me about 75 volts and 10.6 amps to the controller. My question is, which 2 panels should I put in series? Front and back, left and right, or front left and back right?

Picture of my current setup with 480 watts.IMG_20191105_164846 (1).jpg

Shading is probably the biggest concern...

"When panels are wired in series, they all in a sense depend on each other. If one panel is shaded it will affect the whole string. This will not happen in a parallel connection."

So I would say a pair of panels closest to each other should be series, so if some shade hits the back of the rig and blocks a panel, the front series pair will still provide good amps, and the other way around, respectively...

Shading is probably the biggest concern...

"When panels are wired in series, they all in a sense depend on each other. If one panel is shaded it will affect the whole string. This will not happen in a parallel connection."

So I would say a pair of panels closest to each other should be series, so if some shade hits the back of the rig and blocks a panel, the front series pair will still provide good amps, and the other way around, respectively...
Excellent! I will try that setup first. Easy enough to change in the combiner box if I find out it doesn't work out.

Back