diy solar

diy solar

truck cap camper build, can anyone recommend 200W portable solar panels for my build. going to get a 30 amp solar controller.

docpusmc

, can anyone recommend 200W portable solar panels for my build. going to get a 30 amp solar controller. not sure which one yet. going to get a 12 volt 100 ah lithium iron phosphate battery. weize for 300.00 or maybe a battle born for 900.00. not sure which one. the truck bed system will be only for the truck bed camper.

My Victron dealer is continuous resources.com. They have High-Tec solar panels.
200w. And 215w, and a bifacial. That I believe are all the same size. The shipping was included in the price.

Also, check amazon and Home Depot - and Craig’s list - sometimes there are deals there.

With RV’s (and vans) the most important thing is to get a size that fits your situation perfectly! (That is actually more important than price), so measure several times - look around- and buy once. With the right size you can maximize the watts in the space. So a 200w may not be the best panel.

With RV’s (and vans) the most important thing is to get a size that fits your situation perfectly!
with the above in mind you might want to look at:
https://www.newpowa.com/products/solar-panels/
The 320w panel may be a good option (believe it's free shipping)

I have Eco Worthy 195w panels, they're rock solid and free shipping (under $200)

I also have Rich 200w panels, bought from Current Connected ($219) I got free shipping when I purchased them
https://www.currentconnected.com/product/rs-m200/
The bonus with Current Connected is they have great support and are more than willing to assist with questions and system design
They also offer some small kits
Also check their Savings Shack, you may find a good deal on a battery (no guarantee but they won't stiff you with a bad item)
(I bought 32 salvaged cells to DIY (4) 24v batteries and all were as good as new)

can anyone recommend 200W portable solar panels for my build

I would (and did) mount them on the camper shell, or on an over-the-shell rack. Nowadays I'd be looking for a couple 200s, which would run fine on a 30A MPPT.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY BATTLE BORN, THEY ARE JUNK!!! THey use those AA size cells and wire up a zillion. Good luck finding a dead cell in THAT battery. GFL. They are NOT an American company, but the people put the BS in Battery Systems. So many people buying bills of overpriced junk.
Too bad that it seems as you have no real personal experience on this product. Just some kind of prejudice. My Battle Born are five years old. They show the same resting voltage as they did when new. I capacity test them once a year and they are down about 3% after this first five years.
If they do have a problem, you don't need to find it, send it back to them and they will.
Sure, they use off shore cells, everyone does. But they ARE an American company
I expect to get well more than my ten years out of them.
I didn't pay $900 for any of mine
p.s. quit spouting off on the internet about things you have no real experience with

The OP said portable panels - are you looking to attach panels to the roof of the camper shell or to have portable panels that you put out as a ground array once you arrive at the destination?

As Will has explained, flexible panels are junk.
I'm talking about the difference between standard rigid panels attached to the camper shell via rack, strut channel, etc vs portable panels that you carry inside and put out as a ground array at the destination - the OP said "portable" so I thought perhaps he meant the latter.

my first experience with solar , i put together this drawing of what i am starting to do with my truck build . just rrnot sure if i have designed this completely correct. if anybody sees any problems with this setup would appreciate your imput. the biggest thing is the solar power controller battery wires going to the bus bar instead of directly to battery. the ship to shore wire as well going to the bus bar instead of to battery. is this ok or will this be a problem. thanks for your imput.

Attachments

• 20230306_121106.jpg
    20230306_121106.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 14
I would HIGHLY recommend a shunt based battery monitor.

That way you can know how full or empty your battery is - otherwise it is just a guess until it shuts off.

I use and recommend Victron Smartshunt or BMV712. this shunt would go between the battery’s negative (and be the only thing attached there) and the negative bus bar - with everything attached there.

How many amps can your battery deliver at once - the amp capacity of the bms?

Good Luck!

I would HIGHLY recommend a shunt based battery monitor.

That way you can know how full or empty your battery is - otherwise it is just a guess until it shuts off.

I use and recommend Victron Smartshunt or BMV712. this shunt would go between the battery’s negative (and be the only thing attached there) and the negative bus bar - with everything attached there.

How many amps can your battery deliver at once - the amp capacity of the bms?

Good Luck!
thanks appreciate the input

Back