diy solar

diy solar

Turn on/off exhaust fan

bds70

Hi, I have an off grid system in my bus. The locker containing all my equipment is subject to high environmental temperatures. I would like to fit an exhaust fan to it, to start/stop automatically via a set temperature range.

Does anyone know if any of the following Victron items could do this. Solarsmart MPPT, bmv702, lynxx distributor, or Multiplus inverter.

If not anyone got any suggestions?
Cheers

I have a BMV-712 and use the little relay in it to switch a larger relay, which turns on and off my basement heater in my RV to keep my LFP warm enough through the Winter. I set on temp to 42° F, and off temp to 48° F, can invert relay as well.

1703915836407.png

1703915934859.png

I use products from AC Infinity.
They make Ball Bearing Cast Aluninium Fans and are SILENT ! These are NOT cheap PC box fans with sleeve bearings.
These are an EXCELLENT SOLUTION and Low Power.
Operating Voltage 3 to 7V DC, Power 2.2 W, Current 0.44 A

Another alternate which provides even more flexibility
TIP: The "dual fans sets" are 2 fans in the same circuit (paired). The singles are for each circuit when using the controller module.
These are Marvelous and Extremely well priced.

The Victron BMV-712 has both a temperature probe connection and a 1A relay that can power a suitable fan. Be sure to fuse the relay at 1A or less to make sure you protect the 712. There are several YouTube videos about the 712 and programming the relay.

Thanks, what sort of external relay are you using?

I used an automotive type 30a relay which has a diode on the primary winding to protection from flyback current (field collapse on shutdown).

1703961474317.png

More info:

You can also just add your own diodes. I like to put two 1a diodes for extra protection, one across the + and - of the primary and one in series pointing one way on the + wire (I do this especially when it is a transistor supply for the primary trigger, helps protect the spike if you're using a transistor for the trigger voltage source, allows it to neutralize / freewheel down the - side only).

1703962156678.png

My heater is only a 200w 12v heater, but I want to put as little load on the Victron relay as possible, so as not to wear it out too soon, so the brunt of current is going through my add-in relay, since it is easier to replace.

Last edited:
I use products from AC Infinity.
They make Ball Bearing Cast Aluninium Fans and are SILENT ! These are NOT cheap PC box fans with sleeve bearings.
These are an EXCELLENT SOLUTION and Low Power.
Operating Voltage 3 to 7V DC, Power 2.2 W, Current 0.44 A

Another alternate which provides even more flexibility
TIP: The "dual fans sets" are 2 fans in the same circuit (paired). The singles are for each circuit when using the controller module.
These are Marvelous and Extremely well priced.
Another vote for AC Infinity. Solid units.

I've been using this to control a blower on my coal stove since 2017, might work for you too.
WILLHI WH1436A 10A Temperature Controller 110V Digital Thermostat Switch Sous Vide Controller NTC 10K Sensor Improved Version https://a.co/d/79Fb1HW

Back