diy solar

diy solar

Turning a cub cadet zero turn electric mower into a house battery/mower.

It does say that it can do it for your amperage. But I would still be leery. The build quality hasn't been very good for the ones people have tried.
Oh flat don't like them but I'm figuring with it having a breaker on both ends and just using it to keep the inverter from loosing all power when the power blinks it should work ok. The one on the mower is to guard against dead shorts not load.

This is where the concern is.
Will it clear a dead short. Or will it make the situation worse.
Suggestions to a vehicle mounted breaker that's worth a flip? I don't want to have to buy fuses all the time or replace them if I can help it.

Suggestions to a vehicle mounted breaker that's worth a flip? I don't want to have to buy fuses all the time or replace them if I can help it.
Just the one I recommended. I can't vouch for anything else.

That'll work just fine.
Ordered.

The only piece of the puzzle left is the smart shunt and the wife balked on that one for now :)

I have to agree its not "needed" right now but I will get one eventually. The mower has onboard battery info and the tp6048 will know whats going on too.

Now I just have to wait on parts to arrive.

Looks like I even got lucky and amazon cancelled the flip breaker for me :)

Well some parts came in.

Anderson connectors

100 amp anl fuse and holder

breaker box

---------

Still waiting on 100 amp din breaker (which goes in the breaker box that arrived today)

If I manage to get enough sleep today (complete and utter failure at that so far) I will upgrade the charge port on the mower tonight with pics.
I'll also add one of the anderson connectors to the end of the 2 gauge welding cable for plugging into the charge port.

That's about as far as I can go till the 100 amp breaker gets here which amazon shows as friday for the delivery date.

After opening the package to the sbs50 connectors I got they claim to hold 6 awg wire (looks smaller) and I have 2 gauge so that's not going to work that great. I just ordered sb120 connectors which will get here saturday.

I'm not willing to risk cutting corners on this so ordering the right stuff. If I have to I will make a new spot for these connectors and leave the factory plug alone since I need it to work with the factory charger too.

If I can see how to replace the sbs50 mower plug with one of these to keep it under the flap that covers the charger port when not in use I will put it there later and change out the factory chargers plug to work with the larger connector. All wins either way.

Also with the sb120 plug I will have upgrade to :

• Connector Housing, Amp Rating: 190A
  • Heavy Duty Contact Amp Rating: 120A, 600V
So wider margin of safety there too since the 2 awg wire is good for 120A too.

I just measure the spot where the sbs50 plug is and it looks like the sb120 will fit nicely. Will know for sure saturday.

What ANL size rating fuse did you pick up?

Also you’re planning to have a fuse and a breaker as a disconnect? Each of those items do have resistance, if high loads are sustained you may notice some voltage drop, should be minimal but does add up.

What ANL size rating fuse did you pick up?

Also you’re planning to have a fuse and a breaker as a disconnect? Each of those items do have resistance, if high loads are sustained you may notice some voltage drop, should be minimal but does add up.
I went with this fuse for mounting on the mower

and this breaker right before the inverter

The loads shouldn't be much of a problem since this is just for short power outages to keep the hybrid inverter from getting tortured by power outages. I run off grid or solar all the time and its completely battery-less right now.

Ok back on track with this now. I had messed up the display on my sungold aio so I had to get that straightened out to proceed any further on this.
I didn't think hooking up the mower to it without setting battery settings on the aio would of been to wise :)

How it stands now is everything is wired up from the aio to the end of the cables that will attached to the mower.

Next step is to figure out how much wire I need to replace on the mower to upgrade its charge port to support 100 amps discharging thru a cable that was designed for 20amps of charging only...

I will cut off the ends of the cable I ran to the mower for whatever I need on the mower since its 2 gauge welding cable. I'm doing this before crimping the Anderson plug on it.

I will have this step done this weekend hopefully. Once the cables upgraded and the 100 amp fuse is mounted on the mower and the sbs50 Anderson plug is swapped out for the SB120 its just a matter of plugging it in and flipping the breaker... (hopefully) :)

Back