diy solar

diy solar

Two Sol-Arks : One Battery Bank

AndyRonLI

Solar Enthusiast
Folks,
I am looking to put solar on a large property in southern NH. Current dwelling is being upgraded to a two family home. Code wants two separate load centers, one in each dwelling. They are separated by 4 garage bays, and will have different occupancy schedules (one is likely summer only). I think the smart move is a small well insulated shed with a single utility connection to the grid and then two Sol-Ark class inverter controllers. Each would connect to a dedicated PV array. In summer when both residences are occupied this makes a lot of sense. The question I have, is do I need two separate battery banks? This would let some load share occur. In the winter when demand on one system is low, it simply puts power into the bank, which can then feed the other system. I take a conversion hit, but I can have a smaller bank. Essentially this gives either load center access to the power from both PV arrays. Am I missing something?
Thanks
Andy

I don't see any reason that both Sol-Ark shouldn't be running in a stacked condition, where both feed a common AC "bus" and the two load centers are draw power from that bus (both Sol-Arks functioning as one).....with on battery bank. That would make sense to me unless you want to keep power separate for rental reasons or something.

I don't see any reason that both Sol-Ark shouldn't be running in a stacked condition, where both feed a common AC "bus" and the two load centers are draw power from that bus (both Sol-Arks functioning as one).....with on battery bank. That would make sense to me unless you want to keep power separate for rental reasons or something.
So just run them in parallel. I could see that. I would need to look at how the grid draw works when its dark and battery low. I suppose if you can parallel the inverter output, you should be able to parallel the grid feed through. I will look into that. Its early innings yet.

Back