diy solar

diy solar

Two-wire generator start workaround

kellenbassette

I have an off-grid cabin that is powered by solar using a Sigineer APC6024D inverter, an Ampinvit MMPT-60A controller, and a 50 amp-hour Renogy 48-volt lithium battery. A backup generator is controlled by two-wire auto start from the inverter. The cabin is used spring through fall and the system has worked great all year, until now.

The two-wire start system has stopped working properly. The inverter starts the generator when it calls for power but no longer shuts it off when the battery reaches 50 volts. The generator will run continuously until the propane is exhausted even with the battery fully charged. This seems to be an issue with the inverter, not the generator, as the generator will immediately shut off if the inverter is turned off. I have contacted the manufacturer and it appears they intend to honor the warranty on the inverter but I rent the cabin out and have several guests scheduled for the fishing season.

I really don't want to disrupt people's plans with a one-month turnaround to get my inverter repaired, I'd much rather send it to the manufacturer when I shut the camp down for the winter in November. I also don't want to tell the guests they have to check the battery voltage and turn the inverter off and on to keep the generator from running continuously. Can anyone suggest a temporary workaround that will automatically shut the generator off when the battery reaches 50 volts?

50v zener diode to control a relay. The relay opens the 2 wire circuit when energized (cuts off generator).

Problem is: the relay will close right away when the generator cuts off. So, if the Inverter is not resetting ...

Or, just design a circuit that closes at 48v, and opens at 50v, and skip the inverter.

Buy and install a replacement inverter out of your own pocket , or let down the guests

Not a great situation!

Control the generator with one of these, instead.

Back