diy solar

diy solar

U.S. begins detaining solar panel imports over concerns about forced labor in China

If they were concerned about forced labor, they’d be detaining Nike shipments and a ton of other consumer goods.
Exactly. When I saw 'forced labor' thought NOW u fuss. Rrrigght.

Supposedly fake 'UL Listed' stamp (means ALL componentd r electrically safe) has become #1 customs problem on solar imports from China.

Customs could be overwhelmed. Or China solar tech leaving USA in dust that big bucks trying slow it down.

Yep Im cynical!

Do I need to read the article? Like this is a new thing? No.

That's a political issue, imho. Craziness to bring that up now. I smell money and it’s not in my pockets.

it’s like the IRS and the ‘subcontractor VS employee’ test. One would be very hard pressed to not find forced labor in China in any segment. With tariffs, the US gets extra income. With detainment? We don’t get these panels, nor does US get any money.

Last edited:
Very silly policy. They should stop buying anything from China if they try to be noble.

The current administration has said that many jobs (that they kill by forcing early shutown of coal, etc.) will be offset by new jobs in solar (and etc.) Of course, that isn't true in the solar panel industry, as long as China owns the market. So maybe they are trying to "fix" that.

Prior to COVID-19 China has a surplus of panels and was getting ready to flood the market, this is a statement the made. Biden is trying to give the few U.S panel companies an advantage. Remember
$535 million loan guarantee to Solyndra, a now-defunct solar company. The could not compete with Chinese pricing. This move will drive prices up.

Meanwhile here in sunny (hammering down right now) Thailand I can get 340W Jinyuan poly panels for USD 89 retail (one off). Cheaper in quantity.

You chaps in the US seem to be getting the short end of the stick regarding anything "solar" :(

Last edited:
Meanwhile here in sunny (hammering down right now) Thailand I can get 340W Jinyuan poly panels for USD 89 retail (one off). Cheaper in quantity.

You chaps in the US seem to be getting the short end of the stick regarding anything "solar" :(
That might be due to a surplus of panels due to US (and others, perhaps) limiting purchases. Of course, we can afford it, we're all rich here. Except me. And those guys living on the street. But maybe they're rich too, just choosing to spend all the money on drugs. So, everyone in America but me can afford to pay "fair trade" price. On their behalf, you're welcome!

Forced labor in China is pretty rare. Don’t drink the political koolaid and look at the actual data-in this case, Chinese wage data.

Very silly policy. They should stop buying anything from China if they try to be noble.
Anti-China products is actually propaganda. Its companies in other countries that go there to abuse cheap labor THEN export to Mexico cheap to get into USA at 0 tariff (NAFTA). Source: PBS Frontline

Anti-China products is actually propaganda. Its companies in other countries that go there to abuse cheap labor THEN export to Mexico cheap to get into USA at 0 tariff (NAFTA). Source: PBS Frontline
Chinese labor isn’t cheap anymore. Chinese companies now relocate their low value added operations to SEA and Africa if they can. Chinese advantage is actually in economy of scale, relatively lax regulation, and good infrastructure.

Meanwhile Anti-Dumping petitions led by "un-named concerned groups" in the US are what ?

With all the Anti-EV, Anti-Solar Panel / Solar-Farm, Anti-Wind and Anti Renewable Energy SHMACK that has held the USA back in not only deployment but Research/Development & Manufacturing for 15 Years is it any wonder that China took the opportunity that was presented ?

Consider also that Big Oil, Gas & Coal have fought ALL Renewable tech and spending 100's of millions of dollars against RE Tech by funding groups, organizations that all fight, lobby & work against the tech. Well, that pretty much guaranteed China would get the upper hand in the tech and they were ripe to do so... ANY Sane Business person would grab such a Golden Opportunity handed to them on a Solid Gold Platter with a Guarantee of gaining the lead with "Free Protection" as provided by Big Fossil & Associates.

So now the Smack Talk, Belligerence, Finger Pointing & Blaming and Political Bafoonery escalates into stupidity at the level of 5-year-old kids fighting in the kinder garden sandbox... complete with bullying & name-calling.

Then we get the Duties to Curb Imports.. what a Pile of TWADDLE... That's just a freakin Tax Grab by Gov !, the seller, shipper, wholesaler, broker, retailer does not pay it, it gets Tacked onto the "cost" when it hits the border and YOU & I PAY FOR IT, right to the Government. And some people think that is good ? It just goes into the slush funds and POOFDAH it buys guns or pays Oil Company subsidies & prop up crooks.

Look at EV's... Aww shux, it's a fad, it will pass, no one is interested... YET, after a few years of Tesla, and LOT's of Chinese Companies making them (getting Huge Experience & Lead BTW) now Ohh everyone is rushing to get them on market, even GM & Ford who spent LARGE (obscenely so) fighting EV Tech as did others... So they are all behind that 8 Ball and finger pointing and blaming everyone else... FACEPALM ! Hope to see those LagTards all go belly up ! JUST LIKE KODAK ! who thought Digital Cameras was a FAD... derp.

Meanwhile Anti-Dumping petitions led by "un-named concerned groups" in the US are what ?

With all the Anti-EV, Anti-Solar Panel / Solar-Farm, Anti-Wind and Anti Renewable Energy SHMACK that has held the USA back in not only deployment but Research/Development & Manufacturing for 15 Years is it any wonder that China took the opportunity that was presented ?

Consider also that Big Oil, Gas & Coal have fought ALL Renewable tech and spending 100's of millions of dollars against RE Tech by funding groups, organizations that all fight, lobby & work against the tech. Well, that pretty much guaranteed China would get the upper hand in the tech and they were ripe to do so... ANY Sane Business person would grab such a Golden Opportunity handed to them on a Solid Gold Platter with a Guarantee of gaining the lead with "Free Protection" as provided by Big Fossil & Associates.

So now the Smack Talk, Belligerence, Finger Pointing & Blaming and Political Bafoonery escalates into stupidity at the level of 5-year-old kids fighting in the kinder garden sandbox... complete with bullying & name-calling.

Then we get the Duties to Curb Imports.. what a Pile of TWADDLE... That's just a freakin Tax Grab by Gov !, the seller, shipper, wholesaler, broker, retailer does not pay it, it gets Tacked onto the "cost" when it hits the border and YOU & I PAY FOR IT, right to the Government. And some people think that is good ? It just goes into the slush funds and POOFDAH it buys guns or pays Oil Company subsidies & prop up crooks.

Look at EV's... Aww shux, it's a fad, it will pass, no one is interested... YET, after a few years of Tesla, and LOT's of Chinese Companies making them (getting Huge Experience & Lead BTW) now Ohh everyone is rushing to get them on market, even GM & Ford who spent LARGE (obscenely so) fighting EV Tech as did others... So they are all behind that 8 Ball and finger pointing and blaming everyone else... FACEPALM ! Hope to see those LagTards all go belly up ! JUST LIKE KODAK ! who thought Digital Cameras was a FAD... derp.
For real. Well-said. Ive ran into mega anti-solar crap in my coastal NC county. Irony is wind energy gets an easy pass...

Amazing how easily folks fall for propaganda... yea like 5... Here's one recent: big military weapons makers, etc etc (HUGE profits off being at war). From contractors to politicians smeared unpatriotic if object to fund something related.

Anyway (not political cuz sane happened when Bush Jr pulled US troops outa Iraq), here came neighor fussing Biden left Afghan too fast etc etc

Like um Im a vet and can tell u, we know for a long time, might be leaving. U get the drift. Doesnt matter whosw in office... happens everytime.

I havent applied for any grants, and no grid feedback to get paid, etc... Many do and all good just not reason I went off-grid.

Back