diy solar

diy solar

UL buck converters?

Potter converters like that are A) quite terrible and fail in ON position allowing full voltage to pass through (bad) and B) because of what they are they can never ever be certified. I gather you never seen the guts of one...

There are indeed Listed Step UP/Down transformers but they aren't $20 USD either.
I would suggest you start looking at Samlex DC to DC Converters which are all UL/CSA/ETL Certified. These are Top Tier with all the appropriate safeties etc...

NOTE: Rather a Heads Up, You MUST get a converter that can take up to 60V so that when doing Bulk/Absorb, voltages which could be as high as 58.4 V if charging to 3.650V per cell in a 16S pack. Also if you require say 20A @ 12V, it is far better to buy a converter capable of a bit more like 25 or 30 Amps and that is to cover any potential surges, they can pop up unexpectedly.

A little more googling revealed this UL listed device:

The TMDC 60-4812 is a 60 watt, 48 to 12 volt model (see datasheet) and will give me up to 5amps, which would be good for a very small load (my intent). They have other options too.

Not sure what the on/off function entails or if I am missing something.

Just a thought.

Back