diy solar

diy solar

UL-Listed 3kW hybrid (off-grid) inverters?

Shimmy

Solar Wizard
My plans are again gone awry due to the lack of a UL or NRTL listing for 3kW off-grid hybrid inverters. I had been planning on an EG4-3000, but it is only CE-labeled and not 3rd party tested. I am getting tired of my analysis-paralysis and would really like to get my supplemental system up and running by the summer.

Is there a vendor I am missing that offers a proper UL-Listed 3kW off-grid hybrid inverter that can function as a solar UPS?

Thanks!

120v? 120v/240v split phase? All in one or separates? Desired battery voltage?

120v? 120v/240v split phase? All in one or separates? Desired battery voltage?
120V, 48VDC preferrable, 500V MPPT would be ideal... but really all I have to have is 120V and about 3kW; I can work around the rest.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I used to run my system off of older version of one of these models: https://www.outbackpower.com/downloads/documents/inverter_chargers/fxr_vfxr_a/FXR_A_specsheet.pdf
Ran both "off grid" and UPS mode where if utility went down it immediately switched over. UL Listed. You'd still need to purchase all the other required parts for the system separately (breakers, charge controller, etc).
Thanks; that appears to be as close to what I am looking for as I have been able to find. Unfortunately, at ~4x the cost of a EG4-3000 it ends up being a better strategy to just go for the whole house SolArk 15k. I guess if I ignore the SCC MPPT and just use it as a UPS it is only 3x the cost...

I would just go for the non-UL hand truck system approach, but I need to get the solar panels permitted so I don't have any issues with my (pure) net metering agreement down the road.

The 48v Victron Multiplus II just got UL 1741 as well.

You'll notice that none of these have built in MPPT charge controllers.

For a lot more money, you could get the Sol-Ark 5k 1p. It's an all in one, 48v with listings and mppt controllers, one leg of 120v.

How about a multiplus-ii 48/3000 120v? Dexter from current connected posted the new UL cert couple weeks back. It’s not on CEC list nor is it 1741SA/SB based on how I read the cert, so no chance of connecting it on grid

Then you have to add an AFCI etc compliant SCC or AC couple it to micros or a string inverter.

SRNE (OEM for PowMr, Midnite Solar, and a host of others) has ul1741 certification for their budget all-in-one units; see:

This thread discusses a version of their 24v HF2430U60-100 recently going for $320. That vendor has the equivalent 3.5kw, 48V, 145VOC unit for $465.

Finally, if you want US based support you can call, look at Midnite’s MN5048DIY (5kw, 48v, 145voc) @$950 or MN3024DIY (3kw, 24v, 100voc) @$585, both OEM from SRNE.

I’ve been using an MN3024DIY for almost a year to load shift and have been quite happy with it.

Last edited:
Thanks @cs1234, @zanydroid, and @agt. It seems like UL and domestic support really jack up the price for now. SNRE looks like the most realistic solution if I want independent PV from the "house" system, or go for the Victron or Schneider SW for a pure UPS.

Reactions: agt
SRNE manufactures several nice spec AIOs that I can't find a real US source for if I were to buy any more in the future. It would be nice to have higher voltage support on the SCC

Back