diy solar

diy solar

Upgrade inverter 12v to 48v

Since the 16mm cables are, could it cause greater resistance on the current system?
No, the opposite.
Maybe it would be better to use the old 10mm cables?
Bigger cables are better.

Remember for future use: if something is wasting energy, particularly a resistive load, it will almost always be wasted in the form of heat. High heat, high loss. Low heat, low loss.

I update the post for all those who can get information and benefits from it. I had to change the configuration from 6 panels in series to 2s2p to get 70 v and not 130 volts . After getting answers from the Epever technicians, we came to this configuration as the scc went in over voltage. I am perplexed , as the controller is declared for 150V of VOC and my configuration was up to 134 at most 138 V . It is also true that in the manual a maximum of 140 Volts is reported at 25 degrees. However, a little disappointed by what the 150vs have been declared. In my configuration I should have bought the m odello 6420AN maybe 200v of VOC are enough to make my panels go. We will see now with 2s2p and 70 v of VOC .

I had to change the configuration from 6 panels in series to 2s2p to get 70 v and not 130 volts .
That must be 3S2P to halve the volts from 6S. Thats a solid configuration and it should produce as well as 6S.

Good luck!

And yea, that sucks their 150V specification is a lie.

And yea, that sucks their 150V specification is a lie.
Hi and thank you, I really think so from what they say. I noticed that at most I reached 140 volts, in variable weather conditions, with sudden rays of sunshine that caused the tensions to rise suddenly.

So you say that now that I've halved to 69 volts I should get the same results? Having now the 48v in battery, the scc which has a maximum of 70 volts and in charge remains around 58v, this voltage seems the same as the batteries, even if I think that in charge it is raised by an internal voltage converter to the eperver.

I am attaching for your knowledge today's graph with covered time .. tell me what you think.Your opinion is important to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-05 alle 11.45.50.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-05 alle 11.45.50.png
    493.7 KB · Views: 4
Array voltage of 56.13V is probably too low to work reliably.
Can you confirm that you have 3 panels in series 2 times? And both are working?
151W seems very low for full sun.

I tried to find your panel Vmp number.
It must be about 18.7V.

If 3S2P voltage is too low, you may need 4 or 5 in series. You can experiment with more in series.

Array voltage of 56.13V is probably too low to work reliably.
Can you confirm that you have 3 panels in series 2 times? And both are working?
151W seems very low for full sun.

I tried to find your panel Vmp number.
It must be about 18.7V.

If 3S2P voltage is too low, you may need 4 or 5 in series. You can experiment with more in series.
No, the day is very cloudy and it has also rained slightly. In short, no sun. Yesterday in this configuration I got peaks of 800 watts, even if at 136v I also reached 1000w. I set everything up just yesterday, so I should try well on sunny days. Today at most always with maximum cloudy weather 400 watts. The panels have a voc of 23.1. Before mounting the new configuration I checked the voltages of both series and they marked 70 volts per string, empty ....

So in reasonably good sun, your array should reach 69.3Voc to start the SCC. It will pull the voltage down to near 57.3V which at times might be too low. My understanding is that once started, they usually keep functioning much closer to battery voltage.

After getting answers from the Epever technicians, we came to this configuration as the scc went in over voltage. I am perplexed , as the controller is declared for 150V of VOC and my configuration was up to 134 at most 138 V
After thinking about this, i wonder if you can make a case to EPEver to get a different SCC because you spent a bunch of money and expected their specs to be correct (150V solar capable).

That must be 3S2P to halve the volts from 6S. Thats a solid configuration and it should produce as well as 6S.
However, at the moment the weather is not clear, but as written I looked at what it had produced in the evening and arrived at about 3.1 kwh. Think that the day at the production level had a break of 1 hour (change string from 1 string in series to 3s2p) and in any case the accumulation result is different. As I told you, the only doubt is only the voltage of the 69.8 volts which I hope is at least sufficient for the 48v accumulation.

As I told you, the only doubt is only the voltage of the 69.8 volts which I hope is at least sufficient for the 48v accumulation.
If the array voltage once charging has started, only needs to be a few volts higher than battery voltage to work.
The main thing is probably that with only 3S it might require a little more sunlight to reach a Voc of battery voltage +5V to start charging. At this point the MPPT will start pulling amps and the array voltage will drop down close to Vmp (hopefully enough above battery voltage to keep charging).

In theory, i would think/hope that your SCC would produce as much power with 3S2P as 6S. I suspect that on edge cases like this, higher quality electronics will produce more, maybe significantly more.

If the array voltage once charging has started, only needs to be a few volts higher than battery voltage to work.
The main thing is probably that with only 3S it might require a little more sunlight to reach a Voc of battery voltage +5V to start charging. At this point the MPPT will start pulling amps and the array voltage will drop down close to Vmp (hopefully enough above battery voltage to keep charging).

In theory, i would think/hope that your SCC would produce as much power with 3S2P as 6S. I suspect that on edge cases like this, higher quality electronics will produce more, maybe significantly more.
In my opinion, in my situation I am at the limit for what concerns the departure, as I had written in 3s2p qin that sunny day I saw 800 watt tips. these days there is bad weather or rather no sun and despite this I managed to produce about 1.4 kwh. Maybe the optimal configuration would be 4s2p to get almost 90 volts, but I think at the time to stop. What I can't digest ... is the fact that we discussed the famous 150 volts of epever.... I would like you to give me your opinion about what I am about to write :

1 If epever declares voc 150 max and 138 voc, my system is maintained with a single string at about 134 > 137 volts and on clear days nothing happens.

2 If the condition is this the serious panels in conditions of intense light but reduced by sudden dimming, it will be limited to reaching the maximum of those values, but it could be verified that the sisyema can reach for example even 145 volts by hypothesis! Having been designed to carry out the drops of the current within these limits I do not think that the controller can be damaged, but present in those conditions only the drops I am talking about.

3 so my string is not a 150 volt string but it has a voc of 138.6 and it is missing right at the maximum limit over 11 volts . So eepever protections are limit protections not yet subject to the likely breakage of the regulator.

4 For the last hypothesis I could pull away a panel to get to about 90v but 900 watts .......

What do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-06 alle 19.50.59.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-06 alle 19.50.59.png
    523.3 KB · Views: 1
4 For the last hypothesis I could pull away a panel to get to about 90v but 900 watts .......

What do you think?
This would be a good test. There is clearly something going on in the Epever that we do not understand.

4S2P with 2 more panels is sounding better if 3S2P is not producing sufficiently. The 4S test will provide good info.

This would be a good test. There is clearly something going on in the Epever that we do not understand.

4S2P with 2 more panels is sounding better if 3S2P is not producing sufficiently. The 4S test will provide good info.
Yes but this would involve spending another 250 euros I think about 260 dollars .. if we then consider that epever 64200 costs 300 dollars .... But what I have to do is this compressed, which frankly was not calculated based on what was promised by the manufacturer .. in short, their 150 v

Then you can use 5 panels as 5S if you are not interested in buying more panels. The 6th panel is extra/spare.

Hopefully Epever helps you out but I would not count on it. Do you have an option to return your SCC so you could buy a different 150V SCC?

If yes means you can return it. I would recommend the Victron 150/35 at just $186 bucks.
This is a GREAT SCC. They recently lowered prices. You will love love love the phone app (make sure you get the smart model).

35A charging x 56V = 1969W

If yes means you can return it. I would recommend the Victron 150/35 at just $186 bucks.
This is a GREAT SCC. They recently lowered prices. You will love love love the phone app (make sure you get the smart model).

35A charging x 56V = 1969W
Thank you now I evaluate the situation and I will keep this alternative that you propose.

So in reasonably good sun, your array should reach 69.3Voc to start the SCC. It will pull the voltage down to near 57.3V which at times might be too low. My understanding is that once started, they usually keep functioning much closer to battery voltage.
Hi, today I was able to do the first test with a sunny day except at 13.40 PM that the sky showed variability. At about 12.00 if you look at the voltage of the panels is 63.84 volts and during the morning the delivery from 8.30 AM began to touch 400 watts and then remained around 650 with 720 watt punt but all in a not sudden but fluid way. I ended the day with 3,100 kwh of accumulation equal or little more than the 6-panel series with 136 volt voc. So compared to the series configuration, my personal impression is that clearly the 136 volts push better or a little better in the morning, but on the other hand I believe that the 3s2p conftour is more efficient when not all the panels produce in the same way, this having 2 strings if one string produces less the other makes up for the lack of power. I am very interested in your opinion for the values you see in the graph in particular the voltage of the panels if in your opinion it is in this sufficient configuration or it is always good to evaluate other solutions. However, even if today I accumulated 3,100 kwh because the batteries were quite discharged, but the system managed to go into float (I had seen about 1,97 amps in absorption). In addition, the maximum peak voltage in 3s2p was 59.44 (so there will be the same a small drop to the 58.80 maximum charge of the batteries .... ) . I had also seen at a particular moment where the voltage of the panels was maintained around 64 volts (practically when the batteries were sufficiently charged so the voltage rises and the current decreases ..) . As written, I am happy to wait for your technical point of view. Thank you as always .

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    585.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.png
    2.png
    669.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
my personal impression is that clearly the 136 volts push better or a little better in the morning,
Yep, as expected.

I believe that the 3s2p conftour is more efficient
The SCC is probably not working as hard (more efficient) converting 64V into 58V (smaller difference). I have heard mention of this before so i am not surprised.

However, even if today I accumulated 3,100 kwh because the batteries were quite discharged, but the system managed to go into float (I had seen about 1,97 amps in absorption).
Sounds like its working great! If you can charge empty batteries to float on a winter day, its doing well.

the voltage of the panels was maintained around 64 volts (practically when the batteries were sufficiently charged so the voltage rises and the current decreases ..)
As expected. If current tails off as charging completes, the voltage should rise in proportion to the current decrease (ohms law: amps x volts = watts).

Nice work.

Last edited:
Back