diy solar

diy solar

Upgrading existing system, am I way off base?

jcoop0001

Currently have a 10.6kw ground mount system, inverter is a 10k solar edge and uses optimizers. Have 3 Tesla Powerwalls installed in the garage, the array is apx 300' from the main panel.

I would like to add another 4-6k of panels, my inverter will not support that so an additional inverter or two is going to be required.

My question is this, If I add a second "system" and feed the existing sub panel at the array I am assuming since the Tesla Gateway will protect the grid and I would assume that any power coming from the array including battery would be seen as just more power from the existing panels. Same with the batteries, they should just accept any more power that was sent down the line.

Is my thinking realistic?

Thanks John

AC coupling in general , which is how your Powerwall interacts with the SE, tends to mandate a ratio between the AC output of the solar inverter and the charging capacity + inverter capacity of the storage/grid forming inverter. There may be other limits.

Fortunately you have an obscene number of powerwalls, which means there is remaining capacity to add more PV inverters.

My question is this, If I add a second "system" and feed the existing sub panel at the array I am assuming since the Tesla Gateway will protect the grid

This is confusingly worded. Either it’s just the wording, an issue with your mental model for the system, or both. Picture would help.

Also if the existing AC or DC wiring from the array is not enough, and you need to pull more wire through the same conduit, you may need to derate the existing circuit to a lower ampacity. It depends on the wire sizes in question and how many current carrying conductors are in there already.

Back