diy solar

diy solar

Urban off grid install in Colorado

PunchySunshine

Solar Enthusiast
Hello All!
I just joined the forum but like most all of you I've been watching Will and working up the courage to build a nice big system. I built my first small PV system back in 2016 in order to charge batteries in the field. LaserSaber was the guru for me before Big Willy. I welded the 30 Ah battery pack out of new Samsung 20R 18650s and got the BMS from AliExpress. Same source for the charge controller and I used a 300 watt Samlex inverter. I threw everything in an big ammo box and I use a 100 watt flexible panel in a PVC frame so I can mount it to a C stand. Here it is saving our a$$, next to my buddies Jackery 1000 during a FOUR DAY power outage we here had last January.
20211218_095754.jpg

Well, after that 4 day power outage in January in Colorado, my wife was a bit more on my side to get us properly backed up and scale this solar up!!
I had started spec'n the system with the Growatt inverters and the EG4 batteries but then Big Willy dropped that video with the EG4 inverters...you know the one....
So I started over using his schematic and finally worked up the courage to order all the parts at the start of August 2022.

Of course the panels show up first before literally everything. Great....I completely forgot about proper material staging
20220824_111858.jpg
Then the parts just kept coming while I was out of town in Telluride working "hard".
Resized_20220918_180317 (1).jpg
IMG_0556.jpg
Finally, I was done with work and helping family....I could break ground on Sept 28th 2022! Rented a full size skid with a 24" auger and the extension. We didn't wind up using the extension but I'm sure we'd have needed it if I wouldn't have gotten it. Only used a half day with the skid so that was great and we didn't break anything either!! :D Good start IMO!!
IMG_0552.jpg
IMG_0553.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg
I realize I may have gone a bit overboard here with 4.5 feet down and 2 feet wide per footing but we got 100 mph north winds last winter and I would rather err on the side of caution. We also had to stay within our interpretation of our city code and that's why I've made two arrays instead of one big one.
Next was the forms and I used "Handeeman" on youtube just for the idea "suspension". I guess it's mentioned in the Ironridge docs but I didn't see that until after I built the damn thing.
IMG_0561.jpg
Got four footings poured the first day and the last four the second. About a half a yard per footing, we definitely should have ordered the concrete instead of mixing onsite. 80lbs bags was a mistake....I'm gettin to old for this $hit!
IMG_0562.jpg
The next mistake was not renting a trencher attachment for the skid when we did the holes. I didn't really know where the trench was gonna go but digging that by hand hurt my back and morale.

IMG_0572.jpg

More to come....only 10 pics per post....

Last edited:
We the got 4 conductors of 10 AWG PV wire pulled. This surprised me with a morale boost after seeing the space cleared up on my workbench where the wire had been sitting for a month.
IMG_0584.jpg
IMG_0585.jpg
Finally!!! I could put on rails and PV panels!!!!
IMG_0587.jpg
20221021_093554.jpg
We've got two arrays of 6s 330 watt Aionrise 60 cell panels. Each one is running about 230 volts @ 10 amps. I'm seeing about 1.5% loss on the run which is just fine by me.
So now that is done before winter and I can work inside for the rest of this.
IMG_0595.jpg
IMG_0598.jpg
I'm going to fuse the battery rack like Dave Poz. I'm a little paralyzed with responsibility fear but I think we'll get over it once my back starts to cooperate again.
I'm sure I'll be asking for help when I need it!!
Great forum!!

Got the DC side of things hooked up today! I didn't test but getting excited I've only got one box of parts left.
F653F78E-5BF9-4A8A-8B52-AC3FD2BDBB6B.jpeg0534DCE6-4449-4568-9BBF-16793A52454D.jpeg2B7EB58C-260C-4A51-BDC8-758B0F176A69.jpeg
I added a 400 amp T class fuse at the top of the battery box like Dave Poz but I just used cable instead of a buss bar extension.

looks awesome! great work so far.
Thank you!
I'm waiting on parts to wire up the transfer switch so I wired up a 20 amp outlet to test this afternoon. It ran a space heater and shop vac while still charging the battery.
I'm blown away by this technology, forum and helpful sharing attitude I've come across here.
E331ECC5-C412-4954-82AE-A399FF766723.jpeg

Nice job on the solar.

Is that Samantha Fish at Telluride?
Yes, yes it is. That was my first time seeing her. My buddy has been telling me about her for years but I always take music performance hearsay with a grain of salt. Not her, holy sheep shit that woman kicked everyone's ass and made them ALL fall in love with her. Wow, what a great show she puts on!!
I shoot video for the jumbotron screen at some concert events and conventions. Super low pressure. I used to do commercial cinematography but I don't have the temperament to be around fancy pants clients anymore. Salty road crew and spacey musicians are more my speed. I like to shoot movies too but they are few and far between.

Yes it is. I was there too but not back stage. I should have married her when I never had the chance. LOL. She's from KC and I know several folks who know her.
What a magical place eh? Nice little pocket of happy people having a great time!

20221108_165555.jpg
Yesterday was the first day harvesting. We pulled 11.4 KWH. Not terrible for the absolute worst time of year IMO. I always figured I'd need more panels but this confirms it. That is exactly why I had the 10 circuit reliance transfer switch installed, to be able to cherry pick loads is crucial for this solar (at least until I get it all worked out). We're planning on a patio with a pergola and I'd like to cover it in bifacials but I may need permits for that. :*(
At least everything is all working like it should! We love it! Now the storms can happen and the power can go out and we'll be aight!

Not a cloud in the sky today. I've never wanted the solstice to come so quickly before! I'm really looking forward to what this system will produce in the good nine months. We only use 13 KW a day on average so this is AMAZING news! I'm planning on trying to run the batteries from 30% to 80% for these winter months and try to balance the load/charge accordingly. I may also try and parallel the east array panels to help with shading. It's produced 25% less than the west so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 5
Back